Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading north with my son

Default Heading north with my son

Just booked a week long fly in (fishing) trip in Canada this July. Just me and my son who will be 13. Private lake with a cabin. No electricity, phone, etc. The cabin does have a refrigerator, stove, shower, and toilet. All run on propane except for the toilet Big Pike and walleye in the lake, and plenty of fish. I took him to another drive in lodge in 2018 and we had a great time, but I decided to step it up a little this year and go full isolation. I think it will be good to completely unplug for a week. I've been with this outfitter twice before and had great trips, but that was with three friends. This as of now will be only my son and I. Now the fun of planning things begins.

Sounds like a blast.

Sounds like an amazing trip. May have to reach out for details. Be sure to post up after your trip, too!
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Sounds like an amazing trip. May have to reach out for details. Be sure to post up after your trip, too!
    Will do. If I ever take the time to figure out how to post pics I would post some from the last trip. Reach out anytime.

Sounds awesome...Hope you guys have a great trip and make some memories.

That’s awesome, I used to take 2-3 week trips with my grandad to fish all over northern Minnesota and Canada. Great memories and hope to take my boy one day.

484A070F-602F-40AE-9ADA-CB9E5F50CA0E.jpg
    If this picture attached, that’s the first walleye he ever caught. 30”! That big are few and far between. 1/16th oz jig tipped with a leech, 6lb test and a slip bobber. I think I was more excited than he was. Only fish of the evening that day. And he was set free.
    Last edited by mjiorle; 02-01-2022 at 04:00 PM.

ahem , pickerel. That is a beauty!
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Sounds unbelievable!!! Keep us posted!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Great trip. Can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories.

Walleye cheek meat is some good stuff.

What a great father/son trip. Lifetime memories...for both of you.

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Awesome!
    I am wanting to look into a trout stream and a hunt in Montana

what area? what outfitter?

I spent every summer up there from age 13-18.

we paddled and portaged Quetico. I took my kids when they were 15. wish I had done it more.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

As a kid I made my first canoe trip into Northern Ontario out of Armstrong with a large group from high school. The only lure we used was a red and white Daredevil spoon. We caught Walleye and Northern Pike about every other cast. My second trip up there it was just my brother and I. 17 and 23 years old. We got snowed on in June. Ruffed Grouse were drumming, we heard wolves and had the trip of a lifetime.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I've been several times to Taggart Bay Lodge which is on Lake Kipawa Hunted Bear there as well. It's in Quebec just over the border from Ontario. Closest town is Temiscaming. That is where I took my son in 2018. You can drive right to the lodge. This time we are going with Caesars North Camps. It's a little more central Quebec, and fly in. I've been with them twice before (before my son was even born). They have several camps. Some on the Gouin Reservoir, and some on private lakes. The private lakes are catch and release, but you can eat your fish while you're there. My previous two trips were at private lakes and this one will be as well. It's far enough north that you have a lot of daylight pretty late into the evening.

Kind of got lucky getting a spot this summer. 2 years of covid have the places up there scrambling. People with trips booked during those years, and the regulars trying to get in. Also, I booked before the big outdoors show in Harrisburg, PA which starts this weekend. Most of the outfitters get a lot of business from that.

I wanted to bump this up for any ideas or outfitters to do something similar. Probably have about 10 people in my group. Any insights or tips would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to go this year.

how remote? fly in with motor boats (for wussies or kids) or canoe and camp in a tent next to pristine waters and never see a soul?

text or PM me
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Time View Post
    I wanted to bump this up for any ideas or outfitters to do something similar. Probably have about 10 people in my group. Any insights or tips would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to go this year.
    The outfit I went with has camps for that many. I would suggest booking soon if you want to go this summer, the outdoor shows are coming up and they book a lot at them. I'v been meaning to post some of the pictures from our fly in.

Quote Originally Posted by mjiorle View Post
    The outfit I went with has camps for that many. I would suggest booking soon if you want to go this summer, the outdoor shows are coming up and they book a lot at them. I'v been meaning to post some of the pictures from our fly in.
    Thanks. The problem with any undertaking like this when including others, is that everyone is ready to go until the money is due. And then its the plethora of excuses why they can't go.