Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hash recipes?

This is the one I use (slightly modified) that came from my uncle in Sumter. I've been cooking it for several years with all positive comments. I cut the vinegar in half. Grind the butt and onions with a fine grate. Dump everything in a giant crockpot and set it on low. Dip off grease, periodically stir, and let it cook for 10 or so hrs. About as easy as it gets and great results.

IMG_20211230_111911883.jpgIMG_20211231_074127377.jpg
    IMG_20211231_080553724.jpg
    IMG_20211231_082358945.jpg
    IMG_20211231_181220945.jpg

Went well with this NYE

IMG_20211231_181442087.jpg

thanks jeep

curlee--pm me the pm
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I’ll give that a try Jeep. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, thanks Jeep. That does look like a pretty easy method...

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    thanks jeep

curlee--pm me the pm
    Check your email.

bring me some after you make it

better than Basil
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

maybe. I've been putting off making deer pastrami, kinda been thinking about it for like a month. I figured that would make you proud.

F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    I know Mark well. He modified the hash recipe, to make it more affordable to make, and easier to make large quantities. He still cooks whole hogs over coals, just as Mr. Bub did. Mr. Bub, the founder, learned bbq from Joe Bessinger. Joe was the father of Maurice, Robert, and Melvin. Robert grew up on main street, in Holly Hill. They lived in the back of a store his dad had. The building is gone, and there is a fountain there now. Joe also started the restaurant on the west end of town. There are few people still living, that remember it. I remember it as Jackson's, when I was young. It then became The Smoak House. One of Joe's other sons, Thomas, bought it and opened it for a little while. It was called T's during that time. Don't think it lasted long. It's now called Mac's, or at least the last time I paid attention.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

its still macs
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    You'd be surprised.

Hollar next time, I have a few kettles and pots.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Yeah. You need a small group of families to share each animal's raising and slaughter. I can't see it working realistically any other way if your family isn't Sportin's. That lot could probably consume a rhinoceros a week.

Once the power goes out, it won't even be a question...
    It's been 8 years or so since the last time I partook in just that. My best friends extended family would butcher 8 hogs every January and I, for years, was welcomed as part of the family to take part. Puddin, paunhaus, cracklins, bacon, lard, ham, sausage and lions. I bought one hog and we split it all up evenly.
    Those days have come and gone and I miss that one weekend every year greatly. I'm not sure where I was going with this but, I raised two mangalitsa cross hogs this year and butchered them solo. 240lbs of meat in the freezer in one weekend is truly rewarding, but it just wasnt the same...

I still eat at Sweatman's a couple times a year. Used to eat there very often. Since most of my extended family in that area are now dead, it pains me to go without them.

Hard to swallow with a lump in the throat. Worst part about going to Eutawville? Mrs. Frances Wiggins is gone and I can't ask her to make me Red Steak and gravy.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    It's been 8 years or so since the last time I partook in just that. My best friends extended family would butcher 8 hogs every January and I, for years, was welcomed as part of the family to take part. Puddin, paunhaus, cracklins, bacon, lard, ham, sausage and lions. I bought one hog and we split it all up evenly.
    Those days have come and gone and I miss that one weekend every year greatly. I'm not sure where I was going with this but, I raised two mangalitsa cross hogs this year and butchered them solo. 240lbs of meat in the freezer in one weekend is truly rewarding, but it just wasnt the same...
    My cousins and I (middle to late 40s) when we get together, we sip a beer and talk about how much fun it was to have the entire family together and butcher hogs or put up vegetables. It sucked at the time, but that rearview is mighty fine.

I've done it once since with a member here and that group has it down pat. Best sausage and puddin I've had in a while, (excepting Rebel Yell's Daddy's).
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Let me know when you plan on butchering next time and I’ll give you a hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do Johnny, and if you ever want an extra hand butchering meatbirds, I wouldn't mind seeing your operation!

I’ll see if I can round you up a recipe. Curlee where are you located? I can try to get you a sample. We killed four last February that were 400+. Lbs. That was a long 2 days but was a fun and memorable time. I cured 6 country hams. Just cut the first ones last week. They are delicious. Although the salt cured ham has to be soaked overnight.
    Freedom nor slavery favor any particular race or people

Good looking pig there.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Will do Johnny, and if you ever want an extra hand butchering meatbirds, I wouldn't mind seeing your operation!
    Sounds like a plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TWIGG View Post
    I’ll see if I can round you up a recipe. Curlee where are you located? I can try to get you a sample. We killed four last February that were 400+. Lbs. That was a long 2 days but was a fun and memorable time. I cured 6 country hams. Just cut the first ones last week. They are delicious. Although the salt cured ham has to be soaked overnight.
    You cure pork middlings too.