Thread: Played fishing guide today on Hartwell

Default Played fishing guide today on Hartwell

Sold my old Sea Pro guy I have known for years (he actually coached my son in HS Football ).

He and his son had been itching to get into striper fishing and saw my boat at boat mechanic and he let him know I was selling it

Always nervous selling something to someone you know but boat is in great shape

Told them I would take them striper fishing but last weekend I was on “covid protocol” due to wife having it for second time so I could not go. THey called me several times asking questions but had no luck

Told them only day I had was today (Sunday ) if they wanted me to go Actually get a little nervous taking someone else, know what I am doing but as we all know sometimes fish just do not bite

suggested to them to leave their stuff at home I would bring everything we need, I even threw in my U rigs and trolling rods just in case all else failed As much as I dislike fooling with u rigs they do catch fish when nothing else will

We got to one of my go to spots and thinking surely I can put them on at least 1-2 fish

Ended up with first fish being a nice largemouth, they realized very quickly they had been doing planer boards wrong , and at least no skunk but not what I was after

End of day they caught 6 very nice stripers and had a blast , largest one pushing 12lbs or so

Sometimes you forget how much fun it is seeing others do things for the first time.

520F1F94-3142-4B58-A859-7C722BFD3E98.jpgBC687C21-6A85-46CA-B89B-BCA6DA8735A3.jpg88A641C7-7CF7-43CF-8707-C9AA776A3E79.jpg9FC89D7D-A929-45F8-841F-8BDB0829CBAD.jpeg6FCBF60E-5CFE-4C9F-9AF8-92FA3BF646D5.jpgBE111F6C-BC70-49CD-9348-58F64E71A05B.jpg46161A0D-B216-4D28-BE2F-BD32A11CD9F1.jpg
    Last edited by tprice; 01-24-2022 at 06:15 AM.

Great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Nice, looks fun!

Well done Tommy. I’m sure there wasn’t a quite moment on the boat with coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you tried mashin' ctrl/alt/del?

Very nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some nice fish. Well done!

Your plan came together!

Nice

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Well done!

Looks like a good day
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Grebe View Post
    Well done Tommy. I’m sure there wasn’t a quite moment on the boat with coach.
    Oh yea. Had a blast with these 2.

Looks cold! Good catching. Now you have gone and cost the man a new bote!

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Looks cold! Good catching. Now you have gone and cost the man a new bote!
    This one came with free striper fishing lessons LOL

Showed him in few hours what they had been trying to do for 3 full days of fishing

It was 25 when we left, launched close to where I wanted to fish so very short run

Had them out of the wind so actually very nice day, never even put on my big coat
    Last edited by tprice; 01-24-2022 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    This one came with free striper fishing lessons LOL

Showed him in few hours what they had been trying to do for 3 full days of fishing

It was 25 when we left, launched close to where I wanted to fish so very short run

Had them out of the wind so actually very nice day, never even put on my big coat
    How do you run your planers? I've done it a couple times but seem to get in a bunch of gar mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Raid View Post
    How do you run your planers? I've done it a couple times but seem to get in a bunch of gar mostly.
    If you catching gar my guess is water temp is too high or at least that has been my observation
    with that said I have caught crappie, bass, spots, catfish on them Have had gar hit the bait at times

I just give bait about 15-20 of free lines and then clip on planer board

Keep boat speed under 1 mph

Sometimes a little bit of weight will help if you want to stay down a little deeper

These guys were actually hooking up planer boards incorrectly , once I hooked them up they laughed and realized they had been doing it backwards
    Last edited by tprice; 01-24-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Fun day there
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

They are good folks. I duck hunted with them when the boy was real young, prolly 10ish years ago now. My friend was a student of his while he was at Pendleton so we shared a blind one morning. Wish I could find the pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Curious, Blue backs, U rigs other live bait??? Thanks and nice day

Quote Originally Posted by chessieman View Post
    Curious, Blue backs, U rigs other live bait??? Thanks and nice day
    Blue Backs. Never even touched u rigs other than to take them out of the boat

I m not one of those to run all over the lake, I have some spots that normally produce fish this time of year. We lust put out six lines and trolled same area for the entire time. Caught biggest one on big mud flat in 5’ of water , they had a ball with that one

I got a 5 gallon bucket full of brand new Capt Macks U Rigs, bought them at Boaters World in Anderson years ago when they were going out of business. Actually gave them couple of them

However I like the mini mags better, you can actually pull them under a planer board
    Last edited by tprice; 01-28-2022 at 07:39 AM.