Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford F150 engine opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    3.5 and a tune from 5 Star. You don't hear a lot about issues with the 3.5L anymore.

Toyota will get the Tundra straightened out, my understanding is the issues they have now are somewhat isolated but everyone is making a big deal over them. I just can't get over the looks of that thing.
    I have a 21 echo boost. They can’t be tuned yet unless something has changed. They couldn’t earlier this year.

I agree with Terry. Have the 5.0 personally, we have 2.7 in XL work trucks. The ones with turbos have had some issues esp our expedition and nothing gets used for towing.

I have a 2014 with the 5.0. 135K miles with no issues...so far. Strong with decent mpg. Good engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    I have almost 5k miles on a ‘21 with 5.0. So far so good. I think someone above said they are getting 19+mpg? I hover around 17.5 with mix highway/city use.

Motor has power I am not used to coming from driving several tahoes. I like it!

Not motor related:
    -turn off the rear backing brake assist ahead of time so you dont look like a dumb ass blocking traffic trying to back a trailer while your truck wont move.
    -the truck will put itself in park. PARK not brake, if you open the driver door while moving forward. Not sure if there is a speed range on that but I opened my door at ~6mph or so to spit something out and it abruptly parked itself while tossing my ass forward into the steering wheel.

Lessons learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I laughed out loud. Thanks for the advice.
    Carolina Counsel

Thanks for all of the input. Sounds like the consensus is for the 5.0, particularly given that I drive them until the wheels fall off (and in the case of my current 2006 Tacoma, until the clear coat wears off). I think God is also telling me to stop being such a miser. I finally get around to buying a new truck after 15 years and the car market is as bad as it has been in my lifetime.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Thanks for all of the input. Sounds like the consensus is for the 5.0, particularly given that I drive them until the wheels fall off (and in the case of my current 2006 Tacoma, until the clear coat wears off). I think God is also telling me to stop being such a miser. I finally get around to buying a new truck after 15 years and the car market is as bad as it has been in my lifetime.
    What are your plans for the Taco?

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    What are your plans for the Taco?
    Farm truck for a few years until my oldest starts driving. Then it’s his.
    Carolina Counsel

2016 3.5 with 130k only thing I have done is tires and brakes. Multiple trips pulling the boat to the Keys tons to the SC coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got a 2019 crew cab with the 5.0 with 50k on it. Small lift and 34's avgs 17-20 depending on terrain and how heavy my foot is. Tow the drift boat, duck rig, and decoy trailer around a fair bit, but nothing heavier than 2500#'s, so I cant currently say much on the towing capabilities. Alterations, Mountains and 4wd definitely eat away at the MPG a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Stay away from the Eccoboost at all cost. Especially if you plan to more than 100,000 on it. It will be ragged out.

That’s an ignorant statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post

I drove a white convertible 5.0 just like that to Key West. That thing would FLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I drove a white convertible 5.0 just like that to Key West. That thing would FLY!
    There is not much you haven’t done.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    That’s an ignorant statement.
    Mama said stupid is as stupid does. Have had 10 Ecco boost 6 cyl mostly highway miles, 3000 mile oil changes with full synthetic. Most started having turbo problems around 125,000. Had one sat at dealer for 4 months waiting on parts. That is expensive as I had to rent a truck to get by. Went back to 8 cyl and no more problems. The fuel mileage difference did not pay for the increased maintenance with the Eccoboost. You get into a turbo and waste gate replacement and $3500 is gone in a flash. They did not work out well for me.
    Last edited by centurian; 01-21-2022 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    There is not much you haven’t done.
    I have not jumped out of an airplane.

I have the 3.5 EcoBoost and it’s fine for pulling my duck boat and also my heavy double axle trailer with my Mule on it.

I’ve averaged 20.9 MPG for 20k miles since I got it. Pulling the boat I get 18-19
    And the big trailer with the mule going to AR and back I got 11-12 running 65-70. The Mule has a windshield on it and I think removing it would help a lot with the MPGs. If you want to run 75-80 you will be south of 10 mpg with the windshield.

The 3.5 has plenty of power and it sounds like your use will be pretty much a mirror image of mine.

This is current (filled up due to potential bad weather and didn’t reset)….

And this is since I bought it (trip mileage rolls over so this is for 19k miles)….

I know that truck and miss it dearly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    I know that truck and miss it dearly!
    It’s a damn fine truck

I have not jumped out of an airplane.
    lulz
    More fuel = more boost!!

You get it. BadASS engine
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"