Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford F150 engine opinions

Default Ford F150 engine opinions

As the title suggests, I am interested in thoughts on the best engine option for me. I am going to buy a new Ford F150 when I can find what I want. (I thought I was going to get a new Tundra, but the tech issues have scared me off, but I digress.) I drive a fair amount, probably 15-20K miles per year. I don't tow often, and when I do, it's a small boat or double axle trailer with the Ranger on it. Leaning toward one of the V6 options, but not sold on anything yet. Go.
    Carolina Counsel

5.0 if you will keep it longer than 4-5 years. KRT can chime in with the expert opinion

Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I have the 3.5 EcoBoost and it’s fine for pulling my duck boat and also my heavy double axle trailer with my Mule on it.

I’ve averaged 20.9 MPG for 20k miles since I got it. Pulling the boat I get 18-19
    And the big trailer with the mule going to AR and back I got 11-12 running 65-70. The Mule has a windshield on it and I think removing it would help a lot with the MPGs. If you want to run 75-80 you will be south of 10 mpg with the windshield.

The 3.5 has plenty of power and it sounds like your use will be pretty much a mirror image of mine.

This is current (filled up due to potential bad weather and didn’t reset)….

And this is since I bought it (trip mileage rolls over so this is for 19k miles)….

5.0... unless you're close to a2z
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

5.0. I average 19.5 mpg in a 2020 so don't let the "improved" mpgs of a turbo sway you. The risk ain't worth the the "reward".

5.0 for sure.

3.5 and a tune from 5 Star. You don't hear a lot about issues with the 3.5L anymore.

Toyota will get the Tundra straightened out, my understanding is the issues they have now are somewhat isolated but everyone is making a big deal over them. I just can't get over the looks of that thing.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I have a 3.5 with 220k and I feel like i'm waiting on a piano to fall out of the sky. I have made a point to use good synthetic oil as "they" say that prolongs the life of the turbo sprocket and chain, but its still only a matter of time. And the fuel economy is nothing to write home about.

All that to say get a 5.0 if you have the option.

My father bought one a year or two ago with the 2.7, and he has been pleased with it. Can’t comment on longevity though. Rated to tow a lot more than he will ever need and tows his 17 foot boat fine.

Default Ford F150 engine opinions

I have almost 5k miles on a ‘21 with 5.0. So far so good. I think someone above said they are getting 19+mpg? I hover around 17.5 with mix highway/city use.

Motor has power I am not used to coming from driving several tahoes. I like it!

Not motor related:
    -turn off the rear backing brake assist ahead of time so you dont look like a dumb ass blocking traffic trying to back a trailer while your truck wont move.
    -the truck will put itself in park. PARK not brake, if you open the driver door while moving forward. Not sure if there is a speed range on that but I opened my door at ~6mph or so to spit something out and it abruptly parked itself while tossing my ass forward into the steering wheel.

Lessons learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 01-21-2022 at 01:01 PM.

I have a 2016 F150 with the 5.0. Have you looked up how much a new turbo and all is for the 3.5 and 2.7? Not to mention all the issues they can cause on a motor that isn’t an issue with a 5.0. Granted there is no perfect anything, but a 5.0 all day long. Depending on where I’m driving, I’ll average 21-22 mpg on highways doing 55-60, 18.5-20mpg on the interstate. 17-18mpg pulling my 18’ boat.

My '13 3.5 Eco had 275K on it with minimal issues when I dumped it. I am in a 2021 Super Crew FX4 - 5.0 and am enjoying it. Fuel Mileage difference is minimal.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Stay away from the Eccoboost at all cost. Especially if you plan to more than 100,000 on it. It will be ragged out.

The 5.0 is a rocket compared to the 5.4- our 2020 5.0 CC 4wd gets 19mpg with my wife driving 18 with me- we are both lead foots. We had 5.4 previously-both max tow hers was 2wd and she got 15, mine was FX4 and I got 11. Got 14 towing the 177 Scout flats boat to the keys and back last year- we ran with the left lane traffic 80 mph
    Got 40k on that truck now- it's been perfect

Everyone I know with a 3.5 Eboost has had issues- they love the power though.

Trey… I have had every engine available and also have a dealers license to dabble on the side.

Reliability (long term)

Towing:

Gas mileage
    3.5/5.0 tie

Cost of ownership is 5.0 hands down

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    My '13 3.5 Eco had 275K on it with minimal issues when I dumped it. I am in a 2021 Super Crew FX4 - 5.0 and am enjoying it. Fuel Mileage difference is minimal.
    Tell me your secret, I'm trying to kick the new truck can down the road as far as i can

I went with the 3.5 in my 21, its what was in the truck that they were able to find for me. Full lifetime powertrain warranty from dealer though.

Also, I think Ford joined GM in adding cylinder deactivation AFM to the 5.0 in 2021?
    Last edited by puddlesquatter; 01-21-2022 at 03:26 PM.

I had a 2018 5.0 4x4 cc with a 10sp for a work truck. Put about 60k miles on it. It was a good truck and had no issues with it. My personal truck is a 2017 fx4 cc with a 2.7 in it and if I can help it I’ll keep an eco boost for awhile. They drive like a diesel(no high rpm’s to make your power) and will tow anything a 1/2 ton needs to be hooked to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold