Thread: Freeze Credit

Default Freeze Credit

Had someone get approved for a credit card in my name, but I think it was caught in time before they used it. Any draw back to freezing mu credit with the three agencies? I don’t plan on applying for any credit, but If I did I assume I could un freeze it during the application.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Had someone get approved for a credit card in my name, but I think it was caught in time before they used it. Any draw back to freezing mu credit with the three agencies? I don’t plan on applying for any credit, but If I did I assume I could un freeze it during the application.
    Did it a few years back. Knew I wasn’t looking to make purchases and had the Experian credit monitoring service, no issues since.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Yeah Credit Karma notified me of the credit pull thats when I found the card had been approved but not used yet.

I froze mine a few years ago after someone tried to get a loan in my name. U get a pin and if you need to pull credit, just call and have it lifted for 24 hours
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Froze mine 5-6 yrs back. My SS# had been hacked, or I say that. For many years virtually every tax return that went out of my office had my SS# on it until IRS came out PTIN’s So really not a shock

Saw few “odd” things come in the mail for couple years but my banker kept check on it for me and nothing was showing up.

Then all of a sudden I get a CC bill in mail one day about this time of year, then 2 more same week

Called CC company and first lady I talked to said they had everything they needed (DOB, SS#, etc) Had to fill out all these affidavits and took couple months but no big deal other than PITA and pisses you off

One of my banks gives free credit monitoring but I went with experian and get updates almost daily

They , as did my banker, told me to put a freeze on SS#. Did that and no issues since then

You have a PIN # and just do it over the phone or call to “thaw” your SS# and call back when you are done. If you do not call back they freeze it again in 2 weeks if I recall correctly

Honestly I think everyone needs a PIN for their SS#

Just make sure you DO NOT LOOSE the PIN, that can be a real big PITA from what I am told

How do you freeze your social?

On the phone with a second bank now. Just received another credit pull from different bank. Was able to freeze all three agencies while on hold with BOA fraud dept.

Yep, your info is out there... I've posted my story on here before - as a result, I have had my credit frozen for several years now. Recently got a notice from Dick's Sporting Goods that my credit application (another scam attempt) had been rejected due to my credit being frozen. There's not much of a downside unless you plan to get new credit or loans in the near future. Doesn't take much effort to "unfreeze" your credit with any of the agencies and you have the option to do so for a specified timeframe before it reverts back to frozen status.

EVERYONE should freeze their credit access. It's not a matter of if you'll get hacked, just a matter of when.

An account was opened at Forever 21 in my name, $800 and some odd dollar in charges. Filed police report, froze credit, etc. Account was opened under an old home address I hadn't lived at for 10 years. Two future attempts at Nordstroms and Kohls after I froze my credit, they'll keep trying because it works.

SCDOR is responsible for my info breach.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I’ll do my own research as well, but I’ll ask here.

I buy/sell real estate, sometimes I pay cash other times I finance, so I need access to my credit. I don’t plan out purchases, if a property comes available I try to move quickly. Would freezing my social or credit be a pain in the ass for something like this? Or is it a non factor and easy to unfreeze quickly?

Fairly easy to freeze/unfreeze credit via telephone or online.

So far Ive been given two pin numbers to call and unfreeze credit when needing to. I just started all this bullshit last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunning Bird View Post
    Fairly easy to freeze/unfreeze credit via telephone or online.
    Does it affect your credit at all? Either from an initial freeze, or multiple freezing/unfreezing?

Would you need to freeze all three or just one? This is a new subject for me.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Does it affect your credit at all? Either from an initial freeze, or multiple freezing/unfreezing?
    Not effect at all.

Quote Originally Posted by First Coat View Post
    Would you need to freeze all three or just one? This is a new subject for me.
    Freezing all 3 would be the preferred strategy to prevent something from sneaking through.

Used to be SS# was secure and you were never to give it out to ANYONE except employer. Now it is required for just about every transaction you make. It is easier to get your social than you DL number. Last month i have 30,000 in fraudulent charges on my credit card which i disputed.

Advise to all Cut up the debit card and get a credit card. You can dispute the ccard charges and you are not out the money. With a debit card your money is gone. You may eventually get it back but that will usually take time and a lot of pain in the ass.

Back in the day when I was at Carolina the professors would use your SS# to post your grades on the bulletin board outside the classroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The food carts outside of Osan AB in Korea would use discarded wide format, 7 part computer paper from personnel to make cones to serve yaki mandu. You usually could find your name, SSAN and HOR at least once a month when eating those fried treats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Pull your credit report from all 3 credit bureaus. Get all old info removed- old addresses, phone #s, old jobs, etc. I got hacked with an old address. The bill came to my new address. Both addresses on my credit report is how the bill collector found me.