Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Release Quail

I took one invitation to by my standards a pretty uppity put out quail shoot.. not a hunt. It started feeling impure immediately after the dog pointed at a lump up pine straw and the man kicked it. I was told I was a good shot several times that morning, after prancing around looking for all fifty birds. I was some what embarrassed at taking that compliment. I can see people wanting to work a dog, to me though, I felt zero satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I took one invitation to by my standards a pretty uppity put out quail shoot.. not a hunt. It started feeling impure immediately after the dog pointed at a lump up pine straw and the man kicked it. I was told I was a good shot several times that morning, after prancing around looking for all fifty birds. I was some what embarrassed at taking that compliment. I can see people wanting to work a dog, to me though, I felt zero satisfaction.
    I haven’t shot a quail in a several years for that very reason. I love to watch my dog work even if it is on released birds. That said these birds we are getting now are pretty dang sporty. They act the most like wild birds I’ve ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Cool

To me I find nothing wrong with someone wanting to work a dog over released quail. The last time I shot wild quail in larger numbers was south of the border, and it was close to the same feeling.. along with maybe one dog, it was basically a man with a stick, chasing birds through gnarly Mexican underbrush.. they were hardly flying because of a light rain, I'd of rather been at the ranch relaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    So you guys don't have a problem shooting pen raised quail, but do have a problem shooting pen raised ducks?

Seems legit.
    Chuckle.
    Double Secret Probation Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    But nowhere near the same category as releasing pen raised waterfowl to co-mingle with migratory waterfowl.

Oh really?

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    So you guys don't have a problem shooting pen raised quail, but do have a problem shooting pen raised ducks?

Seems legit.
    The hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Oh really?
    I mean I guess if you boil it down it kinda is exactly the same from the potential disease transmission standpoint.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I've been on a release quail hunt. First and last time for me. Not my thing. To each their own
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I average 8 miles per wild covey.

I liked this place before it got so philosophical and tender.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    I liked this place before it got so philosophical and tender.
    Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    I mean I guess if you boil it down it kinda is exactly the same from the potential disease transmission standpoint.

What about an ethical standpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    The hypocrisy.
    you're only trying to debate it because you're a Clarendon native.

I don't believe the site's philosophy has ever changed from agreeing with the releasing of tame ducks.

Mine hasn't.. and won't. I'm not going to agree with the bastardization of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Cool

To me I find nothing wrong with someone wanting to work a dog over released quail. The last time I shot wild quail in larger numbers was south of the border, and it was close to the same feeling.. along with maybe one dog, it was basically a man with a stick, chasing birds through gnarly Mexican underbrush.. they were hardly flying because of a light rain, I'd of rather been at the ranch relaxing.
    Been there done that and I agree. I’ll take pen raised birds and a dog over wild birds and a Mexican with a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by CreekGeek View Post
    I average 8 miles per wild covey.
    you in the wrong spots.
    Windows Down!