Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1-15-22 Band

Default 1-15-22 Band

F3C95EBB-E968-4078-868C-AFFFB45D4ED4.jpg

First banded bird we’ve had in a while.
    Banded in Marshall county, Minnesota 9/17/2020. Hatched in 2019 or earlier. Hard to believe a woodie would travel from Minnesota to SC, but we’ll take it.

The only wood duck band anyone in my group has gotten was from Minnesota. Not to cyber scout but I’m interested where you were hunting to see how close. Granted the band I’m talking about was harvested in 2011. We were near Andrews on private ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting to see where they go and have been. Thanks for sharing.

Nice. The oddest one I've killed was in the ace basin, banded in Jackson, MS 3 months earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Ever been to a bar half way across the country? Nothing odd about a bird hitting a watering hole with females around it.
    Last edited by Smilee; 01-19-2022 at 03:24 PM.

0C8EF929-F52F-4949-84DB-FC75F7701AFF.jpg

Back in November. Was just banded in Michigan in August
    Last edited by BuckyTownsend; 01-19-2022 at 03:28 PM.

I shot a hen wood duck 1/30/20 Cherokee county SC that had been hatched in 2019, banded in Bridgeport MI 9/19/19. Had her mounted alongside a drake i shot the next day on same beaver pond.
    \"The mere fair-weather hunter, who trusts entirely to the exertions of others, and does nothing more than ride or walk about under favorable circumstances, and shoot at what somebody else shows him, is a hunter in name only.\" Theodore Roosevelt

I have two wood duck bands. Both drakes. First was banded in 2008, Ontario Canada. Killed in 2013 in Horry County. The other was banded in 2018 in Pennsylvania, killed three months later in McConnells SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I killed one that was banded on the north side of Lake Erie in Canada in 2013 he was 2 years old. Someone else I know shot one that was not even 10 miles away from that spot in Canada. It was 8 or 9 years old. Both drakes and both shot here in the middle of the state

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Nice. The oddest one I've killed was in the ace basin, banded in Jackson, MS 3 months earlier.
    Killed a drake and hen wood duck in a cut cornfield outside of Aberdeen, South Dakota. They weren't banded but it was interesting killing them in October in a corn field.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

i could have killed a banded wood duck in canada but sw said drake mallards only
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Got a Jack Miner banded Drake Woodie in Jan. '07 near Moncks Corner that was banded in Ontario Sept. '06 (four months earlier) Inscribed "Have faith in God" Mark 11:22.

I’ve killed 4 and they were all banded in Ontario, 3 were wood ducks in Horry county and a redhead in pamlico sound.

I have one from NY and one from Ontario. NY was farther away as the wood duck flies. Congrats on the band. They help to remind you that a lot of our wood ducks aren't just local, year round residents.

Best I got is last year on 1/11 I killed a limit of woodies…the last one was a drake banded on his hatch year in august of 2020 from Maryland

The next day standing in the exact same spot the first bird I killed was a hen banded in her hatch year of 2009 from Indiana

It was almost to the minute I killed them 24 hours apart….pretty sure I’ll never do that again

8DF8D373-6C82-4F7B-A513-22CF7FF8DBBA.jpg
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

i’m more into hawk bands.

i got a juvenile from new york a few years back. reveal proud of that one.
    Windows Down!

gene shot this over the weekend.
    I kept the band.
    banded near montreal in 2020
    IMG_1150.jpg
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 01-24-2022 at 08:05 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

That mallard band is cool if it is from SC. I always thought that a federal band would be the only way to completely convince me that an SC mallard is truly wild, toes or not.

plenty of "truly wild" mallards are killed every year
    i feel like the majority of people that kill a few ducks are not posting on the media sites about it.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

but its OK since I didnt kill it
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.