Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump and pump motor ?

Default Pump and pump motor ?

Anybody got an idea what is broken here?

It's a 10 hp berkley electric single phase pump.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZfDU5UqGAAbZF56Y6

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-16-2022 at 12:01 PM.

My guess is that the impeller is in pieces.

Debris in the pump, Maybe part of a valve or piping component. Could also be motor bearing as it looks like the motor has been overheating for a while by the paint burnt off the casing.
    Last edited by centurian; 01-16-2022 at 12:17 PM.

Impeller, impeller seal, bearings. If you are going to try and replace I would replace the capacitor while you got it apart. When replacing the seal on the impeller make sure to wear gloves and put just a small amount of lube on the seal. Something like magic lube or along those lines.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

That could just be a rock you know, but if you have to take it apart anyway, tighten it up. Hang on to that unit...

Sounds like the impeller imploded
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

We pick up rocks and oyster shells often in our trash pumps- sometimes it will sound like that- we usually take apart the impeller housing, clean it out and it will be good to go.

Is it still pumping water? It sounded like it was running dry.
    Did you hear it start making that noise and shut it down?

How is the motor coupled to the pump

Quote Originally Posted by Briar View Post
    How is the motor coupled to the pump
    .IMG_20220108_112754439_HDR.jpgIMG_20220108_112622368.jpgIMG_20220108_112641536_HDR.jpg

Attachment 72145
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-16-2022 at 06:35 PM.

You can disconnect the pump from the motor and turn the motor on to see if it's the motor. While it's apart you can spin the pump free hand to help isolate the noise.

Here is a parts diagram for when you get it figured out
    https://www.pumpcatalog.com/repair-p...rkeley/b76780/
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 01-16-2022 at 07:02 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    You can disconnect the pump from the motor and turn the motor on to see if it's the motor. While it's apart you can spin the pump free hand to help isolate the noise.

Here is a parts diagram for when you get it figured out
    https://www.pumpcatalog.com/repair-p...rkeley/b76780/
    Thanks, I need all the help I can get. I'm going to wait for warmer weather to tackle it.

Catdaddy where are you located?

I may be able to swing by one weekend or one afternoon and check it out.

8 bolts hold the pump to the volute. Take those loose and you can pull the pump awat from the volute housing. You’ll need something to drive in between the pump and volute to separate them. A chisel or flat blade screwdriver will work. There may or may not be 4 bolts holding the pump to whatever you have it mounted to If so you’ll have to take those loose to slide the motor back. Yours has a paper gasket. You’ll need a replacement. When you get it apart, There is a bolt and big washer that hold it on. Make they’re there and haven’t come loose or sheared off. If they have check the impeller. If it wobbles on the shaft or is broken it will have to be replaced. If the bolt is sheared it will have to be removed. If it’s just come out and hasn’t damaged the shaft or impeller put it back in and tighten the shit out of it if it’s still there. That might be what you are hearing rattle around when it’s running. Scrape the old gasket off, put a new one on and bolt her back up. If anything is broken, and you don’t want to tackle it yourself, Riverside Electric in Olanta, or Lake City Electric will fix you up.
    If the pump isn’t leaking water around the shaft while it’s running / pumping, the mechanical seal is fine. If it’s not tripping the circuit breaker or overloads on your starter the internal switch and capacitor are fine. Bearing will growl or squeal if they’re bad. It’s probably just debris sucked up into the pump.
    Last edited by FLS; 01-16-2022 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks, the motor sounds fine to me and it's not throwing the breaker. I think something has broken around the impeller.

B-stick, it's an hour north of Florence. It's probably a little far for you. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Thanks, the motor sounds fine to me and it's not throwing the breaker. I think something has broken around the impeller.

B-stick, it's an hour north of Florence. It's probably a little far for you. Thanks.

Yes sir a little far.

Do everything FLS said. Be careful with the casing gasket so you can get a new one made.

If you have to remove the mech seal, take measurements of where the face is located when the seal is set. Also once you pull the pump out of the volute, the impeller needs to come off, makes sure you get a new impeller gasket. You will need to measure the clearance between the back of the impeller and the face of the backing plate. It looks like it is a fixed measurement but I can’t really see any bearings to adjust. It is easier than it seems.

Get a wire brush and tube of RTV sealant along with the gaskets...

You don’t need to measure the seal or gasket. All you need is the BM number off the pump data plate. Any decent motor shop will be able to get your parts with that. The two I listed will fix you right up. Electro Mechanical in Florence can do it too. I’d only use RTV as a last resort. It makes it a big pain in the ass to get apart next time and if you don’t get your mating surfaces really clean and dry it will leak. That $15 gasket is the smart and easy way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Get a wire brush and tube of RTV sealant along with the gaskets...
    Yep/
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I got a above ground pump for my well and old as you. Had a rock in it. Bronze impeller in that unit and I will bet YOU it did NOT bust the impeller. Why I use Square-D breakers. Good luck but repair that unit.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    You don’t need to measure the seal or gasket. All you need is the BM number off the pump data plate. Any decent motor shop will be able to get your parts with that. The two I listed will fix you right up. Electro Mechanical in Florence can do it too. I’d only use RTV as a last resort. It makes it a big pain in the ass to get apart next time and if you don’t get your mating surfaces really clean and dry it will leak. That $15 gasket is the smart and easy way to go.
    Unless the seal is bolted and doesn’t move, it needs to be measured. That’s only if he has to remove the mech seal.

How do you figure you don’t need to measure the gasket or save the gasket so a new one can get cut?