Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Sweet Grits?

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Yellow grits are made from yellow corn...white grits from white corn.
    Jimmie Red grits are made from red corn..but they turn but white. The farmer at our dove club grows the red corn for Geechie Boy. The kernels look like pomegranate seeds but once ground, it looks like regular grits.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Little bit of sugar and butter and a butt load of pepper. And I really couldn't give a rats ass what y'all think
    boonie. I think lemon boy needs a timeout too
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Didn't realize VG'd said that, Toof. Thanks for the intel.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Last edited by centurian; 01-17-2022 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Jimmie Red grits are made from red corn..but they turn but white. The farmer at our dove club grows the red corn for Geechie Boy. The kernels look like pomegranate seeds but once ground, it looks like regular grits.
    Jimmie Reds from Geechie Boy ( Marsh Hen Mills) are outstanding. Hard to acquire though.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

you know youve got real grits if you leave the ziplock bag on the counter for a couple days and start to see movement...

I prefer to cook them with a little heavy cream or half and half added to some water. I’ll throw in some cheese and a little granulated garlic, salt and pepper. I worked in a restaurant for a while when I was a young pup and it was better than basic grits to me.

Water based grits don’t have a great texture or flavor IMO, but I won’t turn my nose up at them. I’ll mix a little egg yolk on the plate and dip my bacon in them.

I reckon if you like suger, go for it. But I feel like there are much better vehicles for sweetness than grits.

you've got to bring them up to a boil, stirring hard for that first bit, that breaks them down better.. then it's going to simmer, so they can suck up all of the moisture and soften. there's no way I can see cooking real grits in under 45 minutes to an hour. it's one part of grits to four parts of moisture. I'll never really use more than 2 parts of water, the others will be heavy cream, milk, hand and half, whatever I have laying around the fridge. I use a heavy cream in sauces, and dishes probably more than most people so I've typically had it around, until lately.. it's been hard to find. In the past I've certainly used a half part up to a part of butter.. then a part of cheese. Mostly sharp cheddar, but also parmesan every so often, depending on the dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    you've got to bring them up to a boil, stirring hard for that first bit, that breaks them down better.. then it's going to simmer, so they can suck up all of the moisture and soften. there's no way I can see cooking real grits in under 45 minutes to an hour. it's one part of grits to four parts of moisture. I'll never really use more than 2 parts of water, the others will be heavy cream, milk, hand and half, whatever I have laying around the fridge. I use a heavy cream in sauces, and dishes probably more than most people so I've typically had it around, until lately.. it's been hard to find. In the past I've certainly used a half part up to a part of butter.. then a part of cheese. Mostly sharp cheddar, but also parmesan every so often, depending on the dish.
    As for the heavy cream, I use it for a lot of stuff too and it's hard to find around here too. What's up with that??
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    As for the heavy cream, I use it for a lot of stuff too and it's hard to find around here too. What's up with that??
    Joe Biden.

Bare Shelves’

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Heavy cream is the tits!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Thanksgiving ain't Thanksgiving without a grits and collard greens casserole. Grits and and oysters is special too.

Lighly chop some pulled barbecue, throw it over some grits and pour a little vinegar based sauce on top and it’s pretty dang awesome.

Grits covered with sausage gravy, and mixed with bacon and fried eggs, is one of my top two breakfasts of all time. The other is Cracker Barrel pancakes and their syrup.
    Last edited by wskinner; 01-17-2022 at 11:28 PM.

Chic eating grits is from Valdosta, GA. Just sayin'...

0D4FC137-7429-431D-A798-D3AA93286303.jpg
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I’ve never even let that sin cross my mind, Bart.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Chic eating grits is from Valdosta, GA. Just sayin'...

0D4FC137-7429-431D-A798-D3AA93286303.jpg
    Looks like she eats a lot of sugar on her grits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Looks like she eats a lot of sugar on her everything.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor