Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tribute to our Duck Dogs

Default Tribute to our Duck Dogs

Considering Bog's new found affection for retrievers it's only fitting to have a post about our duck dogs.

Cooper, the chocolate, is almost 4 and the most hard headed, intense retriever I've ever dealt with and a beast retrieving. He's more comfortable in a pirogue than most folks too.

Jake my yellow has been gone 4 years now. He was a methodical, gentle retriever who wouldn't quit and the best pointing woodcock dog I'd ever hunted over.

The action shots and videos I have get me through the offseason and mean so much more to me than the duck pile shots back at camp. You're never hunting alone with a water dog by your side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cajunwannabe; 02-03-2022 at 09:55 AM.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Great minds. I posted my tribute thread just as you posted this one. I about maxed out my phone's memory with videos of mine bringing birds to hand from this year.

Your lil Boykin had an incredible season!!!

I have some ridiculous retrieve video from duck season. Cooper is an insane duck dog.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Makes me recall my dogs first season. He did not get to hunt due to jumping out of a 5ft high fence at 6 months old and was hit by a car around April that year. Dislocated his hip. Dang dog made it all the way back to the house and jumped back in the fence with a dislocated hip. Lucky nothing was fractured and was put back in and has had no issues since. That was in 2016. This was his first hunt the following season after doing his rehab and some more training. His growth over the years and ability surprises me and would be a heck of a lot better with a better trainer than myself that is for sure!!!

Good stuff fellas!!!
    Last edited by darealdeal; 02-03-2022 at 10:09 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Need more threads like this.

Nelli was my first duck dog. She’s been gone a little over 5 years and I think about her a lot.

Kate benefitted from all the mistakes I made with Nelli. She was a golden that thought she was a lab. She turned 10 in November and is enjoying life on the couch with mom.

And the newest one wasn’t ready for hunting season so she spent a few months at Hudson River being CC’d & FF’d. We picked her up on the way home from our last trip out west on Sunday. Gonna be a fun off season getting her ready to rock and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I’ll add, as unfortunately the time is fitting. On Monday I laid to rest the best dog I ever had, and I’ve been blessed to have some good ones. Auto was one of a kind, an asshole but a loyal asshole, efficient and an absolute monster when it came to retrieving, which he had over 2000 on. The last week of November he was diagnosed with cancer, lung, lymph nodes, and on January 8th I waded with him as he made what I knew was his last retrieve.

Enjoy them, 9 1/2 years just ain't enough.

IMG_0272b.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I had a little over 14 years with him, this was our last hunt

20200612_091938.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I had a little over 14 years with him, this was our last hunt

20200612_091938.jpg
    Still a legend even back then I see.....
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

"Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

11 years ago my wife and I decided to get a dog. She wanted a yellow lab and I wanted a golden retriever. We finally compromised and got one of each. This season, it hit me more than ever they have fewer hunts ahead of them than behind them. Thankfully they are still healthy and doing well.
    Here is Sage, who at 11 years old can still clear a five foot fence.

sorry to hear that, buckpro
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 02-03-2022 at 12:09 PM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

3ACD1A2B-4402-478C-A605-B629D2DC31F3.jpgHere is Hank. His head is sized for a 100 lab body but sits on a 70 pound frame
    Last edited by mudminnow; 02-03-2022 at 12:11 PM.

My Jake (my profile pic) has bone cancer. I've had him 12 years. I'm gonna have to put him down very soon. He's a really good bird dog but a great part of our family.

Next week I will be laying to rest my chocolate lab Mojo of 7 years. Dog of a lifetime but lymphoma got him. Chalking it up to the Lord needed a retriever to help Him up there and thought Mojo would fit the bill. Was thinking about making a post but I’ll just add here so I’m not a mess next week trying to post something. A few pictures from our last week hunting together.

A7E259BC-8999-4458-A92C-AB4C517D41DA.jpg
    37E024D2-4EC1-43A0-AC80-73804F61A924.jpg
    14520C92-2716-4076-8D19-18A2D59E1E42.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    I’ll add, as unfortunately the time is fitting. On Monday I laid to rest the best dog I ever had, and I’ve been blessed to have some good ones. Auto was one of a kind, an asshole but a loyal asshole, efficient and an absolute monster when it came to retrieving, which he had over 2000 on. The last week of November he was diagnosed with cancer, lung, lymph nodes, and on January 8th I waded with him as he made what I knew was his last retrieve.

Enjoy them, 9 1/2 years just ain't enough.

IMG_0272b.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg
    Damn. Brought a tear to my eye.

Here's my little vocal bitch. This pic is her very first solo duck hunt. Age was 6 months 4 days.
    8B1BB573-9080-403C-AE20-120CD8DF70F4.jpg

My favorite pic of her, age 4
    3DBEE768-4C84-4BC0-99C8-6B0E85AD23F1.jpg

This year. Age 7.
    2E1D3315-E4AC-4FB5-B0DC-45738906CF3C.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.