Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School Me On Some Longer Distance Calibers

Where griffin?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Where griffin?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Oh he is here

Unless I missed it, which I probably did, what you intend to kill with the gun is a huge factor. I've been trying to figure out the best round to go with for anything up to elk and moose sized game with the ability to kill an elk at 1100 yards if need be. I still want to use the gun deer hunting. If you don't care about retaining the downrange energy that will guarantee an elk will only go three feet straight down, it is a whole different ballgame as far as what you want to start looking at. If you want to kill elk at long range, you probably want to start with .284 (7mm) or larger. From everything I have researched, I'm thinking that the 28 nosler is the way to go for a goat/deer/elk/moose long range gun. That said, the bullet/ammo/brass availability has pushed me to 30 cal because I found and purchased a few hundred 200gr eldx bullets and I found and bought a 60 rounds of 300 weatherby mag...thus that is what I'm going with.

As far as not wanting to go with an oddball caliber...I'm finding it easier to get ammo and reloading supplies for oddballs because they are not as in demand right now, and demand is driving the current shortage to a great degree.

If you are only going to be shooting deer sized animals, there are a lot of good choices for a long range caliber. If you aren't going to be shooting the gun a ton, there is no reason I can see not to go with one of the magnum cartridges that will push an 130-140 grain bullet at 3200 to 3900 fps. You can get a good optic that will put you on target at 1200 easy while allowing you to zero the gun where you can hold center vitals on a deer and kill him from point blank to 360 yards with no worry about adjusting the scope.

Check out Ron Spomer on youtube. This link is to a video of him discussing the flattest shooting cartridges in each of the calibers, and it's very cool. He has a pile of videos about various cartridges and how they stack up with explanations, comparisons and contrasts, pros and cons, and ballistics data to show exactly what each round will do regarding velocity, drop, windage, and energy.

“I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Go buy a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought a 223 about a month ago for $990. Buy a Yo Dave trigger spring, a case of Hornady 140 ELDM, get a good scope and mounts and go shoot. When you feel like the rifle is holding you back start upgrading. I wouldn’t waste my money on the Magpul. You can get a real chassis for not a lot more. If you don’t reload, the 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor are the only two economical factory options.
    You’ll have to go full custom and spend 2-3x as much to outshoot the CTR.

C8452BB4-D519-494A-A9A2-2746446BB4FE.jpg

Tikka CTR .223 in an XLR Chassis.

Why are y’all trying to kill animals @1000yds?

A3EAD0ED-6DC1-4338-84B0-3AF0E91D7C9F.jpg
    Repeatable accuracy, not cherry picked bullshit. These are my gas gun reloads, not some super tweaked pet load, mag fed , off a bipod and rear bag.
    I don’t think there is a production rifle in the Tikkas price range that can touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    Nobody with any fucking sense is. The reality behind most long range kills is multiple shots until the animal finally dies. You just don’t here that part. You just get the grip and grin and hear the distance.

I'm not...

The furthest animal shot I'd probably ever be able to take around here is 400yds max, and that'd be a rare case.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    I've been trying to figure out the best round to go with for anything up to elk and moose sized game with the ability to kill an elk at 1100 yards if need be.
    Dumb

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Go buy a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought a 223 about a month ago for $990. Buy a Yo Dave trigger spring, a case of Hornady 140 ELDM, get a good scope and mounts and go shoot. When you feel like the rifle is holding you back start upgrading. I wouldn’t waste my money on the Magpul. You can get a real chassis for not a lot more. If you don’t reload, the 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor are the only two economical factory options.
    You’ll have to go full custom and spend 2-3x as much to outshoot the CTR.
    They’re stupid accurate. I have one with a 20” barrel that will stack them. I don’t use it as much as I use to for losing the lease that I had ( shooting every deer that stuck its head out for a farmer). I need to break it out and try some long range shooting with it or let someone get it to stretch it out.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Unless I missed it, which I probably did, what you intend to kill with the gun is a huge factor. I've been trying to figure out the best round to go with for anything up to elk and moose sized game with the ability to kill an elk at 1100 yards if need be. I still want to use the gun deer hunting. If you don't care about retaining the downrange energy that will guarantee an elk will only go three feet straight down, it is a whole different ballgame as far as what you want to start looking at. If you want to kill elk at long range, you probably want to start with .284 (7mm) or larger. From everything I have researched, I'm thinking that the 28 nosler is the way to go for a goat/deer/elk/moose long range gun. That said, the bullet/ammo/brass availability has pushed me to 30 cal because I found and purchased a few hundred 200gr eldx bullets and I found and bought a 60 rounds of 300 weatherby mag...thus that is what I'm going with.

As far as not wanting to go with an oddball caliber...I'm finding it easier to get ammo and reloading supplies for oddballs because they are not as in demand right now, and demand is driving the current shortage to a great degree.

If you are only going to be shooting deer sized animals, there are a lot of good choices for a long range caliber. If you aren't going to be shooting the gun a ton, there is no reason I can see not to go with one of the magnum cartridges that will push an 130-140 grain bullet at 3200 to 3900 fps. You can get a good optic that will put you on target at 1200 easy while allowing you to zero the gun where you can hold center vitals on a deer and kill him from point blank to 360 yards with no worry about adjusting the scope.

Check out Ron Spomer on youtube. This link is to a video of him discussing the flattest shooting cartridges in each of the calibers, and it's very cool. He has a pile of videos about various cartridges and how they stack up with explanations, comparisons and contrasts, pros and cons, and ballistics data to show exactly what each round will do regarding velocity, drop, windage, and energy.

Ability to kill an elk at 1100 yards. Really?
    Carolina Counsel

While the Creedmore is impressive, the PRC still ins in every category.

MV:
    Creedmore - 2,710
    PRC - 3,030

500 YDS:
    Creedmore - .64 sec. 53" drop, 1,292 energy
    PRC - .57 sec. 41" drop, 1,662 energy

800 YDS:
    Creedmore - 1.12 sec. 179" drop, 890 energy
    PRC - .99 sec. 139" drop, 1,163 energy

Looking at that, I see no advantage of the Creedmore over the PRC.

Last edited by USMCsilver; 01-14-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Because they won’t let me kill people at 1100 yards.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post

Factory ammo selection and availability. If your just shooting steel and south carolina whitetails the creedmoor will work just fine.

I see no advantage of the Creedmore over the PRC.

Except ammo availability. If you want a long range, hard hitting within the parameters you listed, the .300WM is tried and true. Set up properly, it isn't bad to shoot, my Cooper has the recoil of a .243. If you're looking to punch paper at distances and limiting your hunting shots to 400yds, FLS gave you a solution for not a lot of monetary investment. Griffin could probably build you a hell of a rifle as well.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Factory ammo selection and availability. If your just shooting steel and south carolina whitetails the creedmoor will work just fine.
    I won't be shooting factory ammo. All will be hand loaded.

Recipe for subsonic & another for performance.

MV:
    Creedmore - 2,710
    PRC - 3,030

500 YDS:
    Creedmore - .64 sec. 53" drop, 1,292 energy
    PRC - .57 sec. 41" drop, 1,662 energy

800 YDS:
    Creedmore - 1.12 sec. 179" drop, 890 energy
    PRC - .99 sec. 139" drop, 1,163 energy

It’s a bit misleading to compare the two. One is a magnum and one is a standard case. It all come down to intended purpose. 6.5 PRC is great. So is 6.5 cm. You’re really just launching the same projectile faster. It’s going to cost more to shoot but long range shooting isn’t a cheap sort and the difference isn’t horrible. A properly setup .308 will do everything you want it will just take more work than a hot rod caliber and in the long run you will benefit from that. Barrel life will be way longer on the 6.5cm and 308 but in reality maybe 1% of recreational shooters ever burn out a barrel. 28 Nosler is an absolute animal and a fucking laser beam inside of a mile (and beyond). Someone who wants to seriously learn about long range should start with a 6.5cm or a 308. Hotter/faster/fancier rounds will make it easier to hit long targets but you won’t learn like you will with a smaller one.

Anyone who mentioned a belted magnum should excuse themselves from all conversations about long range calibers.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Griffin, thanks for your insight.

My only "long range" shooting I've ever done was in the Corps. Always qualified Expert, & those were the days before ACOGs.

Open sites, worn out M16s, 500m...

I KNOW I'll never wear out a barrel. I'm embarrassed to admit that my old 7mm-Mag probably hasn't had a box of ammo through it.

Ace basin man needs to be adding to this conversation .. he kills big bucks every year at considerable distance and is an absolute killer
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson