Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Me On Some Longer Distance Calibers

Default School Me On Some Longer Distance Calibers

I'm considering a new toy. I'll have the ability to hand load, but I don't want something so exotic that supplies are difficult to find.

No - I'm not going .50BMG or .338 Lapua.

Purpose:
    • Fun
    • Hunting (if I want)

1,200yds distance would be max. 800yds more practical.

And, yes, I know about needing good glass/rings/base.

I'd prefer an action that would drop into a Magpul chassis, as they are more affordable than other systems.

So, please share your input on calibers & barrel lengths. Whatever I get, I'll have threaded for a can.

My only "rifle," per se, is a 22 year-old Tikka 7mm Mag. I don't think enhancing it is much of an option.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 01-14-2022 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Ft to yds

You can enhance that tikka as much as your heart (and wallet) desire
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

243 to 308.

This is something that interests me as well. Ive been thinking about starting with 308 just to keep things simple and see where it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

6.5x284. Chamber and twist for long bullets.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

You already have the best caliber on the planet. End thread

Take this for what it's worth, which is not much, but you don't need a new fangled chambering for what you're looking to do. .308 will do everything you want and do it well. If you want to get really fancy, you could also consider a 6.5 variation.
    Carolina Counsel

the 7mag will do what you want but that action is a great base. the 308 starts to lose alot post 1k. As CC said above the 6.5 family are great. I just had a 300 PRC built and waiting to shoot it now.

300 Win Mag will be my next rifle.

I considered .308 initially, but it has worse ballistics than the .300 Mag.

As far as building up my Tikka goes, I honestly don't know if I want to. If I did, then it would kinda lose its practicality for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    6.5x284. Chamber and twist for long bullets.
    I was looking at the 6.5 PRC, initially.

I'm leaning towards making a decision between .300 WM & 6.5 PRC.

I'll check the Norma and see how it stacks against the PRC.

I don't think it's normal to start with the chassis as the basis for building a long range gun. Picking an action or cartridge is more often the starting point. You also used the word "affordable". Hmmm.

I'm in the same boat. I don't really expect to shoot really long range but I do like the looks of a rifle built on a chassis and I want a new tack driver. I am leaning more towards one of the off the shelf "modern precision rifles" that so many companies have started offering. Right now, I'm infatuated with a Christensen Arms MPR with a 16" barrel so it won't be unwieldy with a 7" can on the front. The stock folds too so it would be a lot easier to pack/tote. The Christensen Arms rifle has my interest because it's made with a lot of carbon fiber and I want something that doesn't weigh as much as a motorcycle engine. I plan to hunt with it more that target plinking.

PB - "affordable" was meant as more of a loosely defined term of relevance. I'm not looking to spend $8k on an A.I. rifle (without glass). I'm considering about half that (including glass).

I haven't selected the chassis, first... I just know that the Magpul's are about $300 whereas others can easily be WELL OVER $1,000. That's why I was leaning in that direction.

I'd rather allocate the $700 saved on a fancy chassis & put it towards upscale glass.

Last edited by USMCsilver; 01-13-2022 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Clarified

These are pretty good for the money: https://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3x-tac-a1-rifles.aspx

Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    I considered .308 initially, but it has worse ballistics than the .300 Mag.
    uhhhhhh...you think?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    I'm considering a new toy. I'll have the ability to hand load, but I don't want something so exotic that supplies are difficult to find.

No - I'm not going .50BMG or .338 Lapua.

Purpose:
    • Fun
    • Hunting (if I want)

1,200' distance would be max. 800' more practical.

And, yes, I know about needing good glass/rings/base.

I'd prefer an action that would drop into a Magpul chassis, as they are more affordable than other systems.

So, please share your input on calibers & barrel lengths. Whatever I get, I'll have threaded for a can.

My only "rifle," per se, is a 22 year-old Tikka 7mm Mag. I don't think enhancing it is much of an option.

Thanks!

1200 feet or yards ? You use the symbol for feet. 1200 feet is 400 yards and for that distance a .223 REM would be adequate and you can find ammo for a rifle chambered for that cartridge.

Won’t matter what you buy/build - feeding it will be the biggest problem. Not much out there for any loading components.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

6.5 PRC ammo is hard to find right now.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    1200 feet or yards ? You use the symbol for feet. 1200 feet is 400 yards and for that distance a .223 REM would be adequate and you can find ammo for a rifle chambered for that cartridge.

Won’t matter what you buy/build - feeding it will be the biggest problem. Not much out there for any loading components.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sorry... I meant 1,200 YDS (& 800 YDS).

Multitasking is a bitch.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

The .308 will have a hard time making the trip to 1200 except with a few bullets. 800 is not a problem though. It has the advantage of mild recoil compared to the 300WM and longer barrel life as well as a bit lower operating cost. It is really not optimized for long distance though, but for recreational shooting……what the heck. If distance is your game, look for a caliber that will shoot a bullet with a BC of around .500 at around 3000fps. Once you get beyond 300 your ability to read conditions become much of the game. Don’t get locked into 1 or 2 bullet selections. Your rifle might not like them. Have fun experimenting!!
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.