Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuffy

What are "preseason mallards"?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    What are "preseason mallards"?

Mallards that were banded between May and August. The young ducks were born close to where they were banded. The adults were banded close to where they nested.

They hadn't started migrating yet.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-14-2022 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks, makes sense

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

If you believe the genetic work up and research all the mallard we get in the Atlantic flyway are or descended from released birds. Thanks to many and all the release bird operations up and down the east coast. The latest research says what a 10% chance in our flyway of it being a wild genetic strain or old world bird. We are well on our way to states growing and releasing birds to draw in hunting dollars. To them it will be no different then stocking trout or fish in a lake.
    Sad state of affairs for sure. What can or what will be down to help correct that problem or the decreased number of birds?
    I only had a few conversations with Tuffy and never met him but I am of the same thought process that even when the decreased in number of mallards we should be doing every and anything to help bring in more gadwall, teal, red heads and many others we could manage for as well. We can hold and winter more birds just need some in the right positions to care enough to make the right moves.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I did not get to talk to him much on turkeys though.

He did share with me a ton of data, powerpoints, on duck numbers, harvest, and a particular good PowerPoint on hydrilla and it's eradication vs numbers in our state. I'll see if I can find that.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Some of you may recall that his youngest son is one of my best friends, so I spent a ton of time around him. Whether it be around baseball diamonds or on their farm outside of Sumter.

He was indeed a turkey fanatic but he loved to compile, analyze and study data gathered for ducks. I regret not learning more regarding turkeys from him while I had the chance.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When he came to Florence he always stopped by my office and talked turkey.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk