Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquatic Plant Management meeting

Default Aquatic Plant Management meeting

South Carolina's Aquatic Plant Management Council to meet January 11 at Poinsett State Park
    COLUMBIA, S.C. (Jan 7, 2022) — The S.C. Aquatic Plant Management Council will meet at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at Poinsett State Park, as well as virtually via WebEx. The meeting is open to the public.
    Anyone with business for the council or who wishes to receive WebEx log-in instructions should contact Julie Holling at the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) by email at hollingj@dnr.sc.gov. To provide for an efficient meeting and to allow time for anyone who would like to speak to the Council, please contact Julie Holling in advance if you would like to address the Council or otherwise participate in the meeting. Items scheduled on the agenda for the meeting include:

Call to Order of the 138th Meeting
    Approval of Minutes of the March 10, 2021, Council Meeting (137th)
    Public Comments
    Recap of 2021 Aquatic Control Operations:
    a. Santee Cooper
    b. SCDNR
    2020-21 Triploid Grass Carp Health
    Review & Approval of 2022 Draft Aquatic Plant Management Plan to Post for Public Comment
    Topics and Dates for 2022 Council Meetings
    Other Business
    Adjournment
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Someone change the title, auto correct got me

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Wonder why they chose Poinsett. Either way, I'm not complaining cause that'd be easy for me to attend.

Joey you going in person?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Just sent the email to get the login instructions. Always nice to hold these during business hours...
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I cannot make it in person but I sent email for log in as well. I’m either going to be on the road west or finishing up some calls to take on the road west.

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Are the login's unique or can you post it so everyone doesn't need to email?

The meeting needs to only focus on Giant Salvania. Its already the #1 problem and doubles in 2 1/2 days during warm weather. Grass carp will eat it when other foods arent readily available, but WILL NOT control it. Herbacides and the introduction of the Black Weevil is the only answer. The Black Weevil will stop spreading and reduce populations.

The carp are in poor condition due to lack of food. The giant Salvania is and will shade out the vegetation under the surface. Releasing any more carp into the system will not help anything at this point.

The biologist already know this. There should be no argument on the correct plan. Anything else is just smoke and mirrors.

I agree catdaddy, places i bass fished in the spring and summer I went to the last weeks duck hunting, and it was almost unreal how bad the Salvania is!!!

When one of the annual topics is "Triploid Grass Carp Health" we are forever doomed.

I'll be out of state enjoying wild wigeon grass, coontail, duck potato, naiads, etc and hopefully watching ducks fall from the sky the week of the 11th.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Or you could just pot it up and sell it. MG

2.png
    Dum Spiro Spero

Member these? I remember these...

What are the black seeds?

I emptied the craw of a BBWD and it was slam full of a black seed similar to that.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

They still do not have a good understanding of the life span of the carp in the systems. So they really have no clue with past high waters and with no good estimation on life span... Hard to even guess the amount within the system already. The studies they use are all based off captivity and small scale systems of life span.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    The meeting needs to only focus on Giant Salvania. Its already the #1 problem and doubles in 2 1/2 days during warm weather. Grass carp will eat it when other foods arent readily available, but WILL NOT control it. Herbacides and the introduction of the Black Weevil is the only answer. The Black Weevil will stop spreading and reduce populations.

The carp are in poor condition due to lack of food. The giant Salvania is and will shade out the vegetation under the surface. Releasing any more carp into the system will not help anything at this point.

The biologist already know this. There should be no argument on the correct plan. Anything else is just smoke and mirrors.
    That trash showed up down here this summer....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Regarding giant salvinia, y'all ain't seen nothing yet.

All the BS 30 years ago regarding hydrilla clogging water intakes will be laughable once salvinia gets a better toehold.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Regarding giant salvinia, y'all ain't seen nothing yet.

All the BS 30 years ago regarding hydrilla clogging water intakes will be laughable once salvinia gets a better toehold.
    I've seen what it can do!
    It's going to be a worst case scenario around here when all the Cypress domes are slap full of it.
    The only way to treat that habitat is by hand...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I visited Samworth WMA this week. Dike work is occurring but the fields are unproductive due to cut grass. Once dikes are repaired they will be able to burn and begin to reverse the white marsh.

During the trip I brought up the Aquatic Plant Management Committee. I expressed my disappointment in as aggressive a manner as I could. I told them they did not deserve a seat at the table and there was no evidence of leadership from their representatives on the committee. I have once again threatened to turn the committee upside down if they don't begin to lead.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

The SCDNR needs to release bass in Lake Marion below I95 and In Lake Moultrie. The population is down to where it's hard to get over 3-4 bites per day. It's been getting worse every year for the last six years.

The DNR continues to release stripers in all the lakes but never bass.

It's starting to effect tourism.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-08-2022 at 09:41 AM.

The SCDNR needs to release bass in Lake Marion below I95 and In Lake Moultrie. The population is down to where it's hard to get over 3-4 bites per day. It's been getting worse every year for the last six years.

It doesn't effect the home owners and bathwater people

They are asking for more hatchery money. I will see what is up.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.