View Poll Results: Should guiding be legal on public land in SC

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 29.36%
  • No

77 70.64%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll-Should guiding be legal on public land in SC?

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Pure hypocrisy to make hunting guides illegal on public land and continue to allow fishing guides to operate on public water....
    Let's get rid of both then.

at least the fresh water ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Forest bathing, this BYOBT. Bring your own bath towel, how about soap?
    Low country redneck who moved north

I know a guy who guides for Turkey on Webb centre and connecting WMA been doing it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    They did but they were part of the problem.
    not to derail but...

What exactly IS the problem?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    not to derail but...

What exactly IS the problem?
    The lack of resource?

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    The lack of resource?
    Fewer big catfish to catch for their clients. Limit the catch for those who cant do it themselves (guides and sport fishermen alike). Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of catch and release but the catfish population is most effected by the commercial fishermen not sport fishermen.

I should have said "resource"

Fewer big catfish to catch for their clients. Limit the catch for those who cant do it themselves (guides and sport fishermen alike). Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of catch and release but the catfish population is most effected by the commercial fishermen not sport fishermen.
    I did my level best to kill every single stinking one of those sumbitches when I could. Vowed if I had to release them to avoid a ticket, they'd be cut from vent to gill and released.

It's a sign of the state our natural resources are in here in SC, when an apex invasive predator like the Arkansas Blue is viewed as an actual resource and not a symptom of the overall problem that we dance around in here day in and day out.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobieMcDoobie View Post
    Let's get rid of both then.
    If you get rid of fishing guides how are you allowing commercial fisherman, crabbers, shrimpers, etc. They are all making a living from the public resource. Do you prefer farm raised seafood?

Cat's out of the bag on the fishing guides. No going back on that one.

Also out of the bag are the gator guides. Lots of those folks already "legal" per letter of the law.

Wonder who is behind this conversation? The folks down in Rimini have been doing the guiding thing for years. Their insurance carrier giving them grief?

The distinction of public land vs. public water means a lot too. Guide all you want on private. Not a fan of it on public lands.

Like them or not they are everywhere. Were you around for the stripe bass boom in the 60's and early 70's. Between the guides , sportfishermen, and gill nets they decimated the population. Then catfish became the new go to for guides because they had already put a hurting on the stripe bass and crappie and the cats were underutilized. Now the cats are getting hit hard too. I just looked at the limits for SC and NC to refresh myself. I never dreamed there would be a limit on bream, crappie, and cat fish but it is fact today. There is only so much take a resource can withstand. Seemed years ago we could never catch them all but it turns out we can. Keep some for the table and release the over catch.

Big Brother the bass fishermen on Lake Norman felt the same way you do about stocking stripe bass in Norman years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    If you get rid of fishing guides how are you allowing commercial fisherman, crabbers, shrimpers, etc. They are all making a living from the public resource. Do you prefer farm raised seafood?
    I prefer the seafood that I catch. They did it with hunting...

I wouldn't get rid of any of them. Just stating the facts as i see them. I have never bought fish other than in a restaurant and shrimp cause i cant shrimp.

Big Brother the bass fishermen on Lake Norman felt the same way you do about stocking stripe bass in Norman years ago.
    Yet, as a group they have introduced spotted bass to a lot of watersheds. No wasnt around for the striper hey day.

I have found, (and it's appropriate for this thread) that those who make their livings (whole or part) off a resource turn out in the long run, that they are the resource's worst enemy. Resource is meant in broad terms not specific species.

Some outliers like Captains for Clean water in Florida disprove that theory...but in every group you get one slackjaw that knows everything and starts making decisions for said groups...

I just can’t get behind one man telling another man that he can’t continue his way of making a living when he is doing it within the law. Now the idea of a guide or outfitter “owning” a spot or area on public land or water and actively running people out of it is bull shit.

I think it's disgusting

If any idiot wants to guide on Public land in South Carolina let them waste their damn money
    " You can't catch the Rona if you already the Illest " - J ROC

Quote Originally Posted by LCO View Post
    If any idiot wants to guide on Public land in South Carolina let them waste their damn money
    that's what I'm sayin

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    Exactly.

Hard to stop commercial fishing.

I see it both ways and that's what's tough. Murrells Inlet doesn't need another fishing guide. I doubt any part of the state does. Do we need a law saying no more? No

Does our public land need more pressure? Absolutely not. Do we have spots where we don't see people? Heck yeah, and I like it like that.
    Last edited by scdiver; 01-06-2022 at 06:06 PM.