Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need input on intact male behavior…

I’m shocked no one has said to neuter it (maybe they did, but I’m not reading three pages of this).

In vet school I was late to sign up for electives one semester, and ended up taking both dog and cat behavior. I remember one lecture where my professor (a world-renowned animal behaviorist and pioneer in the field) went on a tangent for about 10 minutes about what to do if your client has a dog that humps things. As I recall, one of my classmates couldn’t handle it and walked out of the class laughing hysterically.

I don’t exactly remember what her first choice treatment is, but a back-up option was to just let the dog have “it’s time” with whatever object of choice it prefers for a given amount of time each week.

Given the age, neutering is less likely to reduce these kind of behaviors, but I’d still consider it for a number of reasons if I were you.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

I had to neuter my male at 8 years old for other reasons and he used to want to jump stuff and since then had not even tried.

I witnessed a neutered male “ hang” a female I had. I didn’t think it was possible.

I won’t elaborate on the artificial insemenation I witnessed in Town Creek Alabama. Needless to say, it wasn’t clinical.

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    I’m shocked no one has said to neuter it (maybe they did, but I’m not reading three pages of this).

In vet school I was late to sign up for electives one semester, and ended up taking both dog and cat behavior. I remember one lecture where my professor (a world-renowned animal behaviorist and pioneer in the field) went on a tangent for about 10 minutes about what to do if your client has a dog that humps things. As I recall, one of my classmates couldn’t handle it and walked out of the class laughing hysterically.

I don’t exactly remember what her first choice treatment is, but a back-up option was to just let the dog have “it’s time” with whatever object of choice it prefers for a given amount of time each week.

Given the age, neutering is less likely to reduce these kind of behaviors, but I’d still consider it for a number of reasons if I were you.
    I appreciate your input. Fwiw, I've owned and trained maybe 11-12 dogs since HS, both Obedience and a few in the hunt test games. Overall, I've rarely had any behavior issues to speak of with any of them - Labs and Goldens - with the exception of the intact or recently neutered males. They're always a trip and a half to reach parity with, and each takes a little different approach, depending on if you've been lucky to raise them since they were pups or adopted them later on in life when they often have some hidden 'monsters' in their backgrounds that require unraveling.

The reason I even bothered posting this thread question was because my wife didn't believe my take on this behavior change in that it was a pack pecking order disruption issue vs hormonal. There is some other behavior that suggest there "might" be a prostate question we need to talk to our Vet about, but aside from that, yes, neutering has been discussed. My wife feels that it's too serious a surgery to risk at his age, but I think it's something to investigate.

I have no problem with neutered or spayed dogs/bitches having a 'hump day/hour/minute', because it's normally a dominance issue and rarely lasts more than a few seconds before the bottom dog disagrees. But, unlike Calibogue, apparently, I don't live in surroundings or have a lifestyle where dog jizz is a desired or accepted decoration in the house.

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Yeah, you should check his prostrate ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Yeah, you should check his prostrate ASAP.
    I just told my wife that you said she should do that…
    ~ George Washington

Great, add her to the list of a gazillion other woman that think I'm an asshole.

I'm so misunderstood.

I wanna hear more about this "dog jizz lifestyle".

Watch for the surprise ending

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I wanna hear more about this "dog jizz lifestyle".
    I have no doubt you’re very familiar with it since you can’t find your own ‘trumpet’ to blow, but ask Calibogue if you need some tips.

Scatter Shot, I told her you really mean well…
    ~ George Washington

Holy hell. C’mon man!

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    Holy hell. C’mon man!
    Good Morning, JOHNSON. No worries. I think the issue will resolve itself as his life returns to normal. I can’t speak, though, for Calibogue, or SW’s ‘Peter Salt’ usage, and his interest in Calibogue’s decorating preferences.

Hope you’re doing well.
    ~ George Washington

SaltpeterLife

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    I'm so misunderstood.
    hurts, dont it?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    I witnessed a neutered male “ hang” a female I had. I didn’t think it was possible.
    My gelding still "breeds" my jennets every time they're in heat. I saw his testicles lying bloody in the dirt of the corral when the vet did the work, too. Imagine my surprise the first time I saw him get erect and mount a jennet about 9 months later; afterwards, the ejaculate ran out of her like a waterfall.

I emailed the vet and she explained that older animals retain a whole lot of get up and go in their prostate.

grossest thing that will be posted on the internet today.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    grossest thing that will be posted on the internet today.
    Is this a challenge?

I don't want it to be... because I'd be really bored at work today not wasting time on here