Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need input on intact male behavior…

Default Need input on intact male behavior…

We adopted a seven year old, intact male Golden Retriever last July from an older man who need to rehome him due to a heavy travel schedule on a new job. We had just lost our nine yo male, neutered Golden due to Insinuloma twelve days prior before tripping across this new dog. We’ve owned nine Goldens with eight of them being adopted over the past 30 years, so we are relatively familiar with canine behavior, except for intact males.

The prior owner seemed very responsible and truly took good care of Beaux. Beaux is quite intelligent and obeys extremely well… most of the time. I would put him in the Beta dog category with some Alpha sneaking in.

He settled in here extremely well, and quickly, with my wife bring his buddy and me being a big play friend. His owner said he had never mounted another dog of either sex, or marked in the house.

Now… my brother and his wife came up for Christmas for five days. No issues other than Beaux having to share ‘his’ love seat at meals times and in the evenings.

A day or two after they left he all of a sudden started cuddling and humping a large, soft puppy toy that he brought with him. After a few days of trying to stop this, my wife threw it in the washer and hid it.

Yesterday, we come in from our afternoon meal walk and I find him in the living room with my wife’s two afghan blankets she wraps herself in on the sofa and he’s humping them! I took them away and told him ‘No!’ and put them back. We went through this a few times.

Since it’s been 40 years since we’ve had an intact male we’re perplexed as to how to properly handle the sudden change in behavior.

If I recall, neutering at this later age probably won’t help. My wife suggested ‘saltpeter’, but I explained that was an old myth.

Anyone ever have similar experience(s), or ideas as to how to deal with this? I’d hate to see my wife get to the level of wanting to get rid of him, which would only happen because of all the other stresses she’s under and doesn’t want/need more drama to deal with.

I believe this to be more of a reassertion of his level of dominance in ‘the pack of the three of us’, since it just started after he was basically bounced from #3 to #6 for Christmas week. That seems to be the only reason, barring a UTI or prostate issue or something, that might explain the sudden change.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 01-06-2022 at 10:49 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

rape him. close thread

Find a bitch in heat and let him have at it.
    DILLIGAF

Turn down the lights and put on some soft music?

Has he recently seen this behaviour first hand? Was he peeking into the bedroom? It's usually a mimicked behavior and starts with the owner.
    On a side note, last night I saw a TicToc clip of three dogs locked up, standing there tail to tail. I definitely questioned were that second male was locked into.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Has he recently seen this behaviour first hand? Was he peeking into the bedroom? It's usually a mimicked behavior and starts with the owner.
    On a side note, last night I saw a TicToc clip of three dogs locked up, standing there tail to tail. I definitely questioned were that second male was locked into.
    No, I’m sure it wasn’t observed anywhere… unfortunately.
    ~ George Washington

Another note, I gave away a intact Black Male lab cause he was humping my 2 year old for free I guess close to 20 years ago to someone off of here. From what I remember, they had Woody in their handle, was that you?

Dangling modifiers sure do lead to humorous postings.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Most honest post on this site ever.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Another note, I gave away a intact Black Male lab cause he was humping my 2 year old for free I guess close to 20 years ago to someone off of here. From what I remember, they had Woody in their handle, was that you?
    No. I had two Labs back in the 80's and early 90's, but we changed to Goldens at the point.

You may be thinking of 'woodywhacker' as they may have been a good match...

w33, you're right. 'Dangling modifiers' can certainly cause a conundrum.
    ~ George Washington

Haha. This thread has potential.

Intact males can smell vaginas of any other animal and get aroused. My Boykin would fuck a female snake if it would stay still enough ….we got him at just under a year old and he has become a great pet and retriever but still has some issues (he won’t listen to my wife very well but that’s to be expected )
    If I had to choose I would get a female every time, as that and the whole dominance thing has had me wanting literally kill him on several occasions…and since you didn’t have him as a puppy and set boundaries he’s probably trying to figure out where he fits in.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    "Now… my brother and his wife came up for Christmas for five days."

You sure about that? Maybe you're asking the wrong people...

You would get rid of a dog because it humps stuffed animals and blankets? Jesus...

And on a side note, what does it mean when your female lab humps the bejesus out of her pillow all the time...
    Last edited by LC17; 01-06-2022 at 11:36 AM.

Humping isn't only about being horny. More often, it's about dominance and pecking order. Females are just as likely to hump as males.

I would add some alpha dominance into the dog's world. Many dog owner resist being the grumpy, stern, bossy pack leader but dogs prefer to know their boundaries and who is boss. Males are programmed to try to test that relationship periodically to see if it's their turn to ascend to pack leader. Don't be surprised or upset about it because it's their job in a pack oriented world. It doesn't really hurt their feeling to put them in their place. Indeed, most times they will be happier.

I would vigorously roll him over on his back the next time you catch him humping and hold him down by the neck and stare him down while telling him "No". Don't break the hold or stare until he looks away, quits resisting and his breathing slows. When you commit, you MUST win. Don't half-ass it. You will probably become the dog's favorite family member.

There are plenty of other ways to handle it but learning to think with a pack order mentality can help avoid a lot of dog problems and keep the dog happier.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 01-06-2022 at 11:46 AM.

I beat my dog in a staring contest weekly and beat his ass all the time and he still loves me….

I really want to get him laid despite these asshole vets wanting to cut him because they say it will make him healthier and avoid prostate issues ….
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I think Scatter nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    "Now… my brother and his wife came up for Christmas for five days."

You sure about that? Maybe you're asking the wrong people...
    LOL... I thought about that, but he kept the Guest bedroom door closed because he doesn't like dogs in his bedroom. So unless Beaux peeked under the door, I doubt he saw much.

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    You would get rid of a dog because it humps stuffed animals and blankets? Jesus...

And on a side note, what does it mean when your female lab humps the bejesus out of her pillow all the time...
    LC17...
    Ordinarily we wouldn't dream of it. For 30 years we have taken in other people's dogs and will plan to continue to do so.

In this case, if we can't find a medical reason for the change, can't solve this sudden behavioral one, and since we never wanted an intact male, I will need to consider it. My wife is under tremendous stress at work, and in general, due to shitty customers and all of this Covid crap they have to deal with in the retail world, so keeping her healthy and calm is much more important than coming home to a surprise caused by a dog we thought was great and turned out to be either a passive aggressive or hormonal pain in the ass. I pray that things don't come to that. That OK with you?

My first and strongest effort will be to solve what I believe to be a behavioral effort on his part to reassert his position in the original pack of the three of us. I just thought I'd post the questions here to look for some success stories or other helpful ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Humping isn't only about being horny. More often, it's about dominance and pecking order. Females are just as likely to hump as males.

I would add some alpha dominance into the dog's world. Many dog owner resist being the grumpy, stern, bossy pack leader but dogs prefer to know their boundaries and who is boss. Males are programmed to try to test that relationship periodically to see if it's their turn to ascend to pack leader. Don't be surprised or upset about it because it's their job in a pack oriented world. It doesn't really hurt their feeling to put them in their place. Indeed, most times they will be happier.

I would vigorously roll him over on his back the next time you catch him humping and hold him down by the neck and stare him down while telling him "No". Don't break the hold or stare until he looks away, quits resisting and his breathing slows. When you commit, you MUST win. Don't half-ass it. You will probably become the dog's favorite family member.

There are plenty of other ways to handle it but learning to think with a pack order mentality can help avoid a lot of dog problems and keep the dog happier.
    PB, we're on the same page. I have held back from playing to much of the Alpha since I don't want him bonding to me as he's my wife's dog and she's sensitive to that, at least for now. I need to have her play this role.

I've had to play this pack game numerous times over the years as not all of our rescues were of the Beta or Omega mentality. I've gone head to head with a couple of my males who wanted to be the pack leader and, fortunately, it always worked out well. Here's hoping this one does, too, as Beax really is a smart and funny dog to have around.

Thanks.
    ~ George Washington

Hide your trumpet in the stuffed animal and see if he can put another dent in it with his pecker.

what is "saltpeter"
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.