Thread: Those quakes

Default Those quakes

Scientists baffled by 10 recent earthquakes that have shaken South Carolina
    By Mark Lungariello
    January 5, 2022 9:09pm

South Carolina was rocked by 10 earthquakes in little more than a week, sending experts scrambling to figure out what’s set off the shaky trend.

Two quakes were detected by the US Geological Survey on Wednesday, the latest in a string of tremors dating back to Dec. 27. None of the earthquakes has registered higher than that first 3.3-magnitude event, which was measured in Richland and Kershaw counties, officials said.

That may mean the other quakes are aftershocks, though the fact they’re still coming more than a week later is unusual.

“They’re not dying away the way we would expect them to,” Steven Jaume, a College of Charleston geology professor, said. “What does that mean? I don’t know.”

The state is actually near a regional fault system created when the Appalachian Mountains were formed that is long dormant — but could be waking back up, Jaume told WRDW / WAGT.

“If they don’t get any bigger, they are more of an annoyance than a concern,” he said. “I am envious of meteorologists because they can see the storms coming. We can’t see earthquakes coming there is nothing we can record that tells us something bigger is coming.”

Don Blakeman of the National Earthquake Center told The Greenville News the cluster of activity is common around the country. The string of earthquakes hasn’t caused any damage.

“It takes about a magnitude 4 to start seeing damage like knocked off shelves,” he said. “We typically don’t see structural damage to buildings in the United States until like a magnitude 5.”

The state usually has about up to 20 quakes each year, the South Carolina Emergency Management Division.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/05/scient...outh-carolina/

The one at 0145 yesterday woke me up.

I didn't feel it, but it was loud enough to rouse me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Volcano’s going to swallow that cesspool of Columbia up.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Godzilla decided to make an appearance in that sand mine.

I'd like to see the pile of critters that I have seen whacked within the confines of that image...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I'd like to see the pile of critters that I have seen whacked within the confines of that image...
    I've done my share of damage in the NE corner of that piece of land.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

This is nothing but KRT farting

One would be hard pressed to find a section of South Carolina that had the fin, fur, and feathers that one did...

if you follow the Wateree from Camden's city limits through Bettyneck, and even the other side.. well, basically everything that could fly, swim, and walk.. that would be half of my life time total of ducks, ninety five percent of my deer, and a gracious amount of fish

Earthquakes are one of the reasons I am moving back. F that noise.