Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is it?

We grew up calling em perch.
    I’ve heard upstate folks call em Eisenhowers.

My question is:

Are they the same species as the northern fish that grow to 3-4lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Yep. And those black fish down around Adams Run. Then there are these rigs to further confuse people...

Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

That looks down right fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    We grew up calling em perch.
    I’ve heard upstate folks call em Eisenhowers.

My question is:

I fished a lot with a buddy of mine’s granddaddy growing up. He called them Eisenhowers. He also cut their tail off and tossed them back in the river.

I called them perch, until the white perch became so prevalent.. I was confused when a buddy of mine went to talking to me about jigging perch in my early 20s. It took one trip with him to see that they weren't what I grew up calling perch, white not yellow

That looks down right fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They even get that big in the US? I know they catch them like that over in Europe but can’t say I’ve seen anything like that. I caught a ton up in northern Iowa. Biggest was probably 11” max though. A buddy from SD up there caught much bigger fish where he was from but nothing like that from what I saw

I'd like to nugget that fucker up though and thrown him in peanut oil after a light dusting.. I bet he got battered up there, shameful

Good question. I have always assumed so...

Biggest one I’ve every caught was on a prince nymph at the big hole where the Zoo Rapids dump.

Maybe 10-11 inches.

Bycatch from minnow fishing Clark Hill brush piles. From the guys I know, very few of them get cleaned and eaten - they refer to them as Government Perch.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I’ve never seen one of these caught around here that I can remember. But then, I grew up fishing golf course ponds. I always knew that species as some variety of perch. I had a rapala lure in this pattern and the bass loved it. Some of my biggest bass bit that lure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I’ve never seen one of these caught around here that I can remember. But then, I grew up fishing golf course ponds. I always knew that species as some variety of perch. I had a rapala lure in this pattern and the bass loved it. Some of my biggest bass bit that lure.
    You can catch them every now and then in santee,biggest one ive seen was about 10-12 inches off a minnow.
    Last edited by Coot_Commander; 01-05-2022 at 09:57 AM.

Yellow perch are quite common in the Great Lakes drainages. Popular ice fishing species around here. Anything over 12" is considered a "jumbo" . Dam fine eatin!
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

We call them coon tails or raccoon perch. They are plentiful on the Catawba chain. When lake norman stratifies in the summer some die and float to the top. We would scoop them up and drift on down rod for striper. They worked well in that time and place as the fish were naturally feeding on the dying perch.

Why is the larger species called "pickerel", and the smaller one " pike"? With that logic, we could say "northern pickerel".
    Last edited by GMAC; 01-05-2022 at 08:28 PM.

I caught one at the hatchery that must have been 2 lbs while crappie fishing. Seems like we don't catch near as many as we used to. Always catch the biggest ones early spring on crappie jigs.

jws- those are jackfish.

Very common in the lily pad areas of both lakes.

Redfin pike seem to be isolated to small blackwater swamps.

We call them Eisenhowers in the Upstate. My granddad hated them.

The nickname for yellow perch came from President Eisenhower who enjoyed fishing for them and funded stocking them across the US.

I’ve caught some 1-2 pound yellow perch out of Lake Waccamaw on small shad raps. Used to catch a few out of the Waccamaw and Little Pee Dee. Biggest I ever caught was on a fly out of the the Hiawasse River. It seems there used to be a lot more diversity of fish on our black water rivers. I haven’t caught a white bass in 20+ years. I catch very few perch, wild shiners, or red finned pike anymore. Redbreast have made a comeback, but that’s about it.