Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Redfin Pickerel (Esox americanus) and Chain Pickerel (Esox niger) are two different species. What I've always heard called a Jackfish is a Chain Pickerel. I think Grass Pickerel is just a subspecies of Redfin Pickerel but without the red fins. Thunderchick is right, I've only seen redfin in black water...
    Rubberhead is right. Jackfish are Chain Pickerel. They get pretty big (3-4lbs is real big). The one in the picture in the original post is a Redfin. They only get 10-12" or so, usually 5-6".

a yellow rooster tail is their kryptonite.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 01-04-2022 at 04:08 PM.

Old timers would jerk a piece of white belly meat on a cane pole for them in the black water creeks of Marlboro county where I grew up.
    Low country redneck who moved north

From my cellphone, I nearly had an epiphany!

It appeared the pike was holding a redroot tuber at first, and I began to ponder if that’s how they got their red fins

Redfin Pickerel (Esox americanus) and Chain Pickerel (Esox niger) are two different species. What I've always heard called a Jackfish is a Chain Pickerel. I think Grass Pickerel is just a subspecies of Redfin Pickerel but without the red fins. Thunderchick is right, I've only seen redfin in black water...

Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I guess it depends on what part of the state you’re from.

Growing up in my area they were always “Redfin pike.”

But their proper name is, like JAB said, chain pickerel.

2 different fish. The one pictured in the op isn't a jackfish. The stripes are a giveaway. Jacks have a chain pattern, not stripes. (think tread pattern on LLBean gumboots) You can easily find both across your area of operations...

yep, Around here still I've always referred to chains as jackfish. There used to be two bodies of water that I could regularly catch them in.. Hermitage, which is now kind of fancy, and our little water hole in downtown called Kirkwood Common where all the young moms like to take pics of their kids walking out to the ten by twenty island.. it was also the first fish I caught fishing Sparkleberry for the first time as a kid throwing a spinnerbait. other than carp and mudfish, they live about the longest in our old borrow pit, when the river floods in or pine tree creek it'll fill up a pit about forty acres in size, it won't hold water terribly long tough, through a duck season, but then spring it'll shrink down to a size as to wear I can almost throw across it. The largest jack I've caught was out of that one afternoon..
    Last edited by Highstrung; 01-04-2022 at 04:15 PM.

Below the spillway at Goodwill was always money, but Pitts Lake on Savannah Branch that is now part of CAE was loaded with big jackfish. The purple of the following was "it"...

I grew up on the Cooper and always caught jackfish/chain pickerel but heard my granddaddy (we called PaPa) talk about catching redfin. He swore they were different. I tried with all my might to catch a redfin on the Cooper but never could. I bugged him until he took me to "Backdam"...I caught a good double handful of "redfin pike" on a clear beetle spin and got bit on the hand by a "yellow fly". I'll slap anybody who says that a FMNF yellow fly is just an ordinary deer fly...haha.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

As it took less than 20 years for smallmouth to start hybridizing with introduced Spotted bass in WNC reservoirs, I would not be a bit surprised to find that redfins X Jacks are also a thing. I have caught a lot of weird shit dragging seine nets in irrigation ditches...

Jackfish make a damn good turd.filet the sides and grind the meat to get rid of the bones.then fry them up like salmon patties and eat with some grits.

I was always jealous of a my blood brother back when I was like ten, because his dad worked at Hermitage mill, and he'd get dropped off there for his dad to watch him some afternoons.. He'd come over and talk about all of the jackfish he could catch out there, it was a mythical being to me until my teens. I could be wearing out whitebass and rockfish, I didn't care, I just wanted to catch one of those teethy things. it's funny, he ended up becoming good friends with Gbelly before he headed out west to be a smokejumper. Then G and I met.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    As it took less than 20 years for smallmouth to start hybridizing with introduced Spotted bass in WNC reservoirs, I would not be a bit surprised to find that redfins X Jacks are also a thing. I have caught a lot of weird shit dragging seine nets in irrigation ditches...
    Haha - that brings me to Fliers...people used to say that they were "government bream"...fish created in a mysterious government laboratory by forcing crappie and "stump knockers" to hybridize...I caught one at my Uncle's pond in St. Stephen and he told me it was a "swamp fly'a". That's as close as he's ever come to being right about something.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Y'all are dumb; It's obviously a baby wahoo.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Access to those little sweet spots all had their little rewards. Like the creek below the mill at Bruce's and the spring Redhorse gigging. Sporty, but you now have a cooler of dead, well ventilated carp...

yep, I've messed around in it a few times. it's been years since I've actually fished the main pond though.

What’s the Hawaiian word for that fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    What’s the Hawaiian word for that fish?
    comeoniwannabiteya

Four Holes swamp is loaded with Redfin pike.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Haha - that brings me to Fliers...
    Yep. And those black fish down around Adams Run. Then there are these rigs to further confuse people...

Love a Red RoosterTail....