Thread: A not particularly helpful (Android) Tablet or (Windows) Laptop thread

Default A not particularly helpful (Android) Tablet or (Windows) Laptop thread

There are basically two things that can kill a functioning windows machine - hard drive failure and operating system obsolescence.

I have managed stave off the hard drive failures by replacing original mechanical hard drives with SSDs then replaced them every three years or so. I'm writing this on a 2009 quad core (used to be beast) that can still process videos amazingly quickly but my 2007 laptop running Windows Vista is just not compatible with the rest of the world. Top that off with a (used to be nice) Samsung Note 8 that I really could do almost anything I ever needed (other than video processing and database stuff) but its screen is shot. So, after beating myself up and researching until I was ready to vomit, I finally asked Santa for a beefy convertible laptop and a cheap android tablet. I ended up with an HP 360 and a Samsung A7.

After a couple of weeks - I think I got it completely backwards. I should have got a nothing laptop for surfing SCDUCKS when I'm downstairs and the S7 or S7+. Learn from my mistakes. No, I'm not getting anything Apple.

First of all Windows sucks. It actually gets more useless with every new version. XP (or ME) actually had very good video processing built-in and some usable sound processing. With Windows 11 there are almost no embedded tools to do anything useful so everything I used to do now requires 3rd party software and, of course, some sort of payment, usually a periodic payment sort. It also requires a Microsoft Account just to initialize the computer. To make matters worse, I'm not even sure MS Access is even available anymore. What am I going to do to analyze duck data or deer moon data?

The A7 is pretty amazing for $200 but my favorite app, Photoshop Touch, is no longer available.

Kids are getting stupider every day and the technology market is tripping over itself to keep up...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Microsoft is all over the place these days.

Access is still available for download through Microsoft. MS has threatened to completely discontinue support for Access for years despite it still being used by a sizeable chunk of enterprise database systems (including their own Excel). You may want to look at moving your deer/duck data into SQL. SQL Express is free.

Apple.....

Fuck apple

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft