Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duck/Frog/Marsh Boat

Default Duck/Frog/Marsh Boat

Looking for a versatile boat that I can frog gig, duck hunt and gator hunt out of. Need space for 3 adults or 2 adults/2 kids.

Boat is predominantly used in Florida with 80% of use pushing through water hyacinth and the rest in mud or 5" of water with growth. I have been using my flats boat up until this point but I know a mud style set up would be more ideal.

Was looking at Gator Trax Marsh 16 with 25HP Kohler EFI or just getting a 16' jon boat and adding a surface drive to it. Does the smooth bottom of the gator trax and similar manufacturers make that big of a difference compared to a regular jon boat style like a lowe jon boat?

Surface drive or long tail?

I do not have any runs beyond 5 miles and nothing in open lake water for the most part.

I do not know a lot about these style boats but wanted to get everyone's thoughts.

Budget 10-20k.

-John

In that budget, you have lots of options.

I would say for a rig like you're looking for, the smooth bottom is a game changer.

I'd go surface drive if I were you.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Yes the smooth bottom and the chines and rake make a big difference when it comes to mud motors.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    In that budget, you have lots of options.

I would say for a rig like you're looking for, the smooth bottom is a game changer.

I'd go surface drive if I were you.
    I’ve read the longtail is better if navigating tight areas. My buddy had one and it gave us the ability to shift the boat if needed. I could be reading it wrong but it looks like they are 3-4K less as well.

Smooth bottom boat and gator glide will do wonders. I prefer surface drive over longtail.
    For the ducks

Smooth bottom with a surface drive.

I’ll go against the grain and say short runs in protected water and lots of muck sound great for a long tail. Correct, you can use the long tail to lever your way out of stuff if needed too.

Yes the smooth bottom will help.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 01-03-2022 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks for the replies. Any specific boat manufacturer and/or motor recommendations

If you go longtail, go with Backwater. A little pricier than the Thai longtails but well worth it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    I’ve read the longtail is better if navigating tight areas. My buddy had one and it gave us the ability to shift the boat if needed. I could be reading it wrong but it looks like they are 3-4K less as well.
    Surface drive gives you the ability to use it like a regular boat should you want to.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Different strokes for different folks. I had a long tail rig then a surface drive rig and then back to an outboard. Don’t need a mud boat, personally. My experience was that my surface drive boat got stuck in several places my long tail had no trouble with.

The difference is speed. I could putt around in shallow stumpy muddy places(safely in my mind) in my long tail and not get stuck. If I had been full throttle on plane in my surface drive rig I probably wouldn’t have gotten stuck but that’s not how I roll. They may be made to do it but there’s still a risk of a stump or log strike throwing you out if you are at full speed in shallow water. There’s nothing out there Im taking that much risk for but that’s just me. Think about how you want to use it to decide what you want. Good luck either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading the OP's post there's one thing that stuck in my mind. He wants to push around in hyacinth. The only thing I know that will do that with any efficiency is a slick bottom mud boat hull with a Pro Drive on the back of it. Something like a 1748 or 1848 would be my choice and what would be even better is a Louisiana style crawfish skiff with a Pro Drive on it.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Square chine mud boat, it will float shallower than a round chine. Get a surface drive, it give you a lot more options of use verse a long tail.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Reading the OP's post there's one thing that stuck in my mind. He wants to push around in hyacinth. The only thing I know that will do that with any efficiency is a slick bottom mud boat hull with a Pro Drive on the back of it. Something like a 1748 or 1848 would be my choice and what would be even better is a Louisiana style crawfish skiff with a Pro Drive on it.
    I should have probably been more clear that the water hyacinth is typically spotty and not hundreds of yards worth.

Thanks again for the advice from everyone. Was looking into them further today and really like the go devil 16 layout as well with a longtail 25. I would def trade maneuverability for speed

I had an 16' Godevil with a 25 longtail it was a perfect rig. Quiet and with a triple cup in the wheel it was virtually unstoppable. Warren Coco builds a tank of a boat. The extended front deck is great for frogging, fishing, bowfishing, etc. The split bench was great too!

Crazy to see my youngest in this picture, he's 26 years old now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I had an 16' Godevil with a 25 longtail it was a perfect rig. Quiet and with a triple cup in the wheel it was virtually unstoppable. Warren Coco builds a tank of a boat. The extended front deck is great for frogging, fishing, bowfishing, etc. The split bench was great too!

Crazy to see my youngest in this picture, he's 26 years old now.
    Awesome. Good to hear the review

I had the same GoDevil boat shown above (if its a 1644) with a 31HP GD longtail, then a 35HP GD surface drive, then a 25 HP tohatsu. I preferred the surfaced drive 100x over the longtail for ease of use, but if you're really getting in a lot of nasty stuff and going slow (frog gigging), the longtail may be the way to go. From everything I've read online, (and no experience with anything other than GD) I would look into a prodrive with the full power reverse.

I would also recommend a boat built for mud with the flat bottom, thicker aluminum, longitudinal stringers, etc.

Also, I'd echo what ring king said. You'll be strapped for room with any more than 2 grown folks and gear in a 16' jon

Here’s a couple pictures for reference that I hope show how quick that boat could fill up with people and gear. Keep in mind the handle on a Longtail probably sticks into the boat about 3’, so the driver is sitting right behind the split bench, and at least the godevil surface drive handle is almost as bad

My final comment is that it sounds like I'm giving that boat a bad review, but I loved it. I regret getting rid of it every time I walk in my back yard