Thread: Canon Camera, Lens Advice

Default Canon Camera, Lens Advice

I took the jump with a new Canon 5D Mark IV. Have a lot to learn but would like to know what lens are recommend. Will mainly be used on hunts, etc. Any educational sources to get the most out of this thing would be appreciated. I felt I knew less after trying to get an understanding on setting etc.

Only lens I have is EF 24-70mm f/2.8L. I have a old 75-300mm that fit it but I assume it's outdated as I couldn't get the sharpness I expected.

My thoughts are to get a 100-400mm
    Last edited by buckpro; 01-03-2022 at 08:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

You say on hunts meaning what? Do you want to take action shots of birds? Or after shots of kills?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Little bit of both, will mainly be big game hunts.
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

100-400 is snazzy but will not be fun to carry around. Maybe a 300 prime? Add in a 50 prime for the after-action shots/close-ups.

Best bet is to rent a few from one of the rental sites, play with them and see what you like.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

That 24-70mm F2.8 is a bad mamma jamma if a lens for after the hunt kill shots or any other general photography stuff. It’s sharp as a tack and fast as can be for anything you want to shoot even in low light. I have the first Gen 100-400L and it’s definitely a work horse. I carry it on my hunts all the time. It’s a little on the hefty side but can be shot hand held for most things. The newer version with the built in multiplier looks to be pretty nifty though I haven’t played with it personally. It would definitely be high on my personal list of wants if Indidnt already have the Gen 1. I shoot mostly birds so reach is everything to me! I’d love a big 600mm but there’s no way I could justify the cost since I make nothing off of my photography.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    That 24-70mm F2.8 is a bad mamma jamma if a lens for after the hunt kill shots or any other general photography stuff. It’s sharp as a tack and fast as can be for anything you want to shoot even in low light. I have the first Gen 100-400L and it’s definitely a work horse. I carry it on my hunts all the time. It’s a little on the hefty side but can be shot hand held for most things. The newer version with the built in multiplier looks to be pretty nifty though I haven’t played with it personally. It would definitely be high on my personal list of wants if Indidnt already have the Gen 1. I shoot mostly birds so reach is everything to me! I’d love a big 600mm but there’s no way I could justify the cost since I make nothing off of my photography.
    Thanks for the input and changing my mind, i was considering swapping it out for something else.

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is an excellent book on manual settings. It's comprehensive but also easy to understand. It gives you a lot of examples of what different settings will do and why.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Please don't put that 75-300mm on the 5D Mark IV - it's the only suggestion I've got. The full-frame 5D line will really get a great depth of field so getting lenses with big apertures will make that even better - it's great for portrait and prop photography. Of course, landscapes and nature photography it's more about focal lengths which are improved by crop factor cameras (not 5D's).

Anyway, the 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L, especially with IS, is a great lens but the 200mm f2.8L really take maximum advantage of the full-frame 5 series - just don't expect great bird pictures.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Yeah, what he said…..