Thread: Motorcycle / sm engine mechanics on here?

Default Motorcycle / sm engine mechanics on here?

I'm stumped, ran fine for awhile then stopped charging battery.Subaru/Robin ex27 engine. I have replaced the stator and voltage regulator with brand new Subaru parts. First replaced the voltage regulator as I've done those before on atvs. Got nothing so pulled the flywheel and replaced the stator. When it starts I get 10-16 volts ac for a few seconds then it drops to nothing. Inside the flywheel magnets look fine, I have continuty thru the stator, new and old one but it's just 1 wire that wraps thru it so that's expected. Getting near my wits end on this thing, anyone know about this stuff got any suggestions? Thanks a ton for any help!
    Last edited by Frank1; 12-31-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Sounds like something is going to ground pulling your voltage.

Check wire insulation from one end to the other. Sounds like a mouse.

Not much wiring to it, all wiring is short and new, 2 wires from stator to regulator, maybe 12" each, 4" wire from regulator to ground, 18" wire from regulator to battery terminal with a good fuse inline. May have to pull flywheel again and swap new stator back to old and try it. All wires check out with meter and are new, clearly visible. It's stumping me cause it's not putting out any voltage.
    Last edited by Frank1; 12-31-2021 at 07:25 PM.

Gotcha. That sucks.

Was the voltage regulator expensive? If not, it might be worth trying another one. I've had new parts send me on wild goose chases before.

Regulator was 129, stator was 80. Had to wait 4 weeks for the regulator. Going to pull it apart again today and double check everything but there's really not much to it, that's the puzzling part, not much to go wrong

Check the air gap between the magnets and the stator. Clean off rust on magnets if rusty. Check the ground on the stator and clean.
    Last edited by centurian; 01-01-2022 at 12:25 PM.

Everything is clean, thanks for the suggestions, been messing with it most of the day. I give up, time for a new motor, harbor freight here I come
    https://www.harborfreight.com/genera...epa-60340.html