Thread: A tough one

Default A tough one

So I tried to get back out to the marsh yesterday but it was less than stellar. The rain has been nonstop lately and although we need it bad it sure makes for a miserable day on the water. I saw the tide was supposed to be low so I took the pirogue with me and towed it out behind my Hobie Pro Angler 14.

ED6AD99E-5C3C-4CF0-8ED3-B75AC0CFE5A1.jpg

Pirogues may have originated in Louisiana but I have found them useful for duck hunting from Florida to Alaska. California is no different. When the tide bottoms out the pirogue is the only way that you can get around out there. Even a kayak won’t go where I can take a pirogue. I can literally stand up and push pole the pirogue across the flat mud out there to get where I need to be.

84DA56FE-A080-4E55-B7AE-2BD1014ED63D.jpg

Now, pirogue or not, when there’s no water it’s tough to fool the birds! When the decoys are sitting on their sides I guess they just don’t look realistic.

EE941FF2-34D5-4511-AC6B-D7B01823E423.jpg

So, despite the low water, and the fact that someone was in the spot I actually wanted to sit, I did end up with three birds. Should have had another spoonie, a hen GWT, and a pintail. I had a group of about a dozen dance right across my spread and I didn’t connect. All in all it was an enjoyable day to be out in the marsh even with the rain.

25EE444E-78B9-431A-82D5-2D1BC09D19ED.jpg

There were noticeably fewer birds than there have been. I’m hoping that was just due to the low water. I’ll know more Wednesday and hopefully will get out for a morning hunt.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Better than one and only hunt I’ve been apart of on this side of the country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk