Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl floor Gurus

Default Vinyl floor Gurus

I’m having a hard time getting peel and stick vinyl to stick to the concrete floor. At first I just used a primer and that did not work even with two coats. So now I’m using a concrete primer plus an extra vinyl adhesive. It’s working better this way but still a few seem to bubble up small fist sized air pockets after a few hours.

What am I doing wrong?

Vct would be a better choice

I’m sure you’re probably right.

Unfortunately we’ve got a bunch of this stuff and my wife is set on the style we have.

Roll the flooring out with a roller when you're done. And keep EVEN weight on the tiles that are bubbling so the adhesive can bite and set. The link below is for illustrative purposes, but I'm guessing you could find a cheaper one or perhaps even rent one. Good luck.

https://www.robertsconsolidated.com/...-duty-rollers/
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I’ll see about getting one, thanks.

Anyone know if I should still use the primer with the extra adhesive? Or just the adhesive straight on the concrete?

They gonna come up anyway. Time for serious husband voice.

Unless you seal the concrete or underlay cork you will continue to have bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    I’m sure you’re probably right.

Unfortunately we’ve got a bunch of this stuff and my wife is set on the style we have.
    I understand. Vct isn't the most attractive but is extremely durable. Are you putting the adhesive on with the trowel with grooves on the side. And a roller is a must. If you were closer you could use mine.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    Unless you seal the concrete or underlay cork you will continue to have bubbles.
    I think he's already sealed the concrete. Raylon, look up Ardex products. They have a ton of stuff for a ton of applications, including your situation I'm sure. If you're interested but for some reason not able to buy without an account, holler at me. I know some people.

You could also do something drastic like renting a machine and scarifying (roughing-up) the floor, but that's a lotta work.

Lastly, be sure to check the moisture levels of the slab in the areas where the tiles aren't adhering. Worth taking a look if you haven't already.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    I’ll see about getting one, thanks.

Anyone know if I should still use the primer with the extra adhesive? Or just the adhesive straight on the concrete?
    Without meaning to sound condescending, read the instructions. Failure to follow the instructions on a lotta this stuff can lead to poor performance and/or failure of the adhesive and/or any related products.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    I think he's already sealed the concrete. Raylon, look up Ardex products. They have a ton of stuff for a ton of applications, including your situation I'm sure. If you're interested but for some reason not able to buy without an account, holler at me. I know some people.

You could also do something drastic like renting a machine and scarifying (roughing-up) the floor, but that's a lotta work.

Lastly, be sure to check the moisture levels of the slab in the areas where the tiles aren't adhering. Worth taking a look if you haven't already.
    Hmmm I didn’t gather that from the post. You’re spot on with the moisture levels.

This is what I’m using primer/adhesive wise.

5129A85F-CEE2-49EC-AEFC-7681101884DB.jpg

No offense taken BB. I usually have a huge learning curve with home repairs. Not my thing.

I did read the instructions though and did as they said. They didn’t even mention an adhesive but it’s a no go without it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Definitely odd, especially considering their both TEC products. Usually stuff like that from the same manufacturer works hand-in-hand.

Please keep me posted on your progress. If I can't provide you with the answer immediately, I can get you the right answer for sure by other means. Holler back.

And again, see about getting a moisture meter. Good ones aren't cheap, but they are useful for a number of applications.

Forgot to mention, check the specs on the tile (particulary the adhesive, if possible), as the tile adhesive could be clashing with one of the TEC products you're using. I doubt it, but worth checking out as well.

This all started because our 100lb bulldog started having seizures accompanied with explosive diarrhea. So the carpet had to go. Looks like I got in over my head again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

How many square foot we talkin' about? And outta that, how many individual tiles you reckon are popping-up? Are the tiles in question in the same general area, or are they throughout?

Post-up some pictures when you have a second.

Kind of hard to see in pictures. It’s like they’re pinched on both sides and popping up in the middle. Especially the room where I used primer only. Probably got about 300 sq ft laid so far.

Are you acclimating the tiles? Sounds like they may be expanding once they get inside.

Can't really acclimate something to explosive diarrhea. It's just too shitty.