Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon hunting

Thanks everyone for the replies. That's some great info and suggestions and here is a follow-up question. Seeing as I have no real commitment to any store now, how do I pick the best store to call home so that I'll have the better likelihood of coming across the harder to find stuff? I have no desire to compete to be the biggest buyer in the store. I spend around $200 a week at most and there is no way in hell I'd resale a bottle. I'm even a little ashamed of even asking the store owner if they have things because I don't want to come off looking like "that guy" that Tooth describes. My method so far has been buy a bottle of a favorite and another of something new at every store I've been in so far. Seeing as I have no insider knowledge in my area, am I better off with a store with less customers in Anderson or the biggest stores in Greenville?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Put me in the camp that is willing to pay more for quality. Life is too short not to treat yourself to something special if you can .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You aren't paying for quality if you can't tell the difference. It's just bragging about how much you spent on a pretty bottle and short supply.

I have no experience with the other commodity you listed as comparison so I'll have to take your word for that scenario.

I have way tooo many friends.

Glenn , I still like WT 101 so I have that going for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. That's some great info and suggestions and here is a follow-up question. Seeing as I have no real commitment to any store now, how do I pick the best store to call home so that I'll have the better likelihood of coming across the harder to find stuff? I have no desire to compete to be the biggest buyer in the store. I spend around $200 a week at most and there is no way in hell I'd resale a bottle. I'm even a little ashamed of even asking the store owner if they have things because I don't want to come off looking like "that guy" that Tooth describes. My method so far has been buy a bottle of a favorite and another of something new at every store I've been in so far. Seeing as I have no insider knowledge in my area, am I better off with a store with less customers in Anderson or the biggest stores in Greenville?

i don't think there is a liquor store in the upstate that isn't picked over. you might get surprised in the small stores, but they know they can charge a buttload. My luck on finding one of these bottles has been out of state wanderings. I bet if you can think of a state that doesn't have people from the south flocking to it, you could find good deals. Road trip up to maine or something

hey, at least I am a straight shooter and honestly just wanted to take the heat off HS' reply.

cant help but thank of those commercials with the tag line "dont be that guy"
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Find the store with the ugliest most desperate woman working it, take her to the back and repeat weekly. You will make the other bourbon snobs on this site look like kindergarteners real quick
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

You will smell like curry and the wife will ask if you ate indian food again.
    Last edited by mudflat; 12-28-2021 at 05:51 PM.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    You will smell like curry and the wife will ask if you ate indian food again.
    He shops at the Midawy red dot. Garners Ferry at 601.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

$200.00/WEEK? DAMN you drinkin alot of likker then $10,000.00 a year. Unless you running a biz or something
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Collecting bourbon is over my head. I was with a friend the other day that is into it and he was getting me try this and that. All I could think about was pushing out of my nose in college. I still can’t drink it.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Collecting bourbon is over my head. I was with a friend the other day that is into it and he was getting me try this and that. All I could think about was pushing out of my nose in college. I still can’t drink it.
    As I remember I could buy a fifth, which means ask someone of age to buy it for me, of OFC for like $8 in the late 1990’s. I thought I was Big Time at 6 o’clock and feeling like I died by 10 o’clock. But it was good times, I think. I don’t even know if they still make OFC. We called it “On the Fword Couch” because that’s where you would be after drinking it.

Evan Williams and Ezra Brooks for us non-sophisticated folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    that's not all true.. much if any
    I agree, stood in the middle of the Blanton’s bottling room and could buy a damn bottle of it

Went to couple liquors stores up there, they even laughed. Guy told me better chance of buying some things any where but in KY

HS is right, I go to Illinois every year deer hunting. Small southern Illinois towns, stop in in liquor store there and get all the Eagle Rare I want/need for Christmas gifts every year. Hell bottles have dust on them

Love BT and Eagle Rare and always keep some on hand (as well as Blantons ) but find myself sipping Makers, WT 101 or JB Black more than anything

I prefer to always shop local stores but if you really looking for something and willing to pay for it this place normally has it

https://thebottlehaus.com/

I
    Last edited by tprice; 12-28-2021 at 10:01 PM.

Bourbon hunting is over and no fun anymore.

I'm new to the bourbon hunting game, and I'm trying to find out the best method for getting the harder to find items and just learning the liquor business in general. For example, I recently had a glass of Elmer T Lee and loved it. Am I better off buying from as many stores in my area to look for it by chance, or do some stores have a better chance than others of getting it and I should spend all my time/money at a specific store to build a relationship? And do stores place orders for the more rare bottles, or is it just luck of the draw as to what the distiller sends on the truck?

Heck everyone has bourbons they like , maybe we should just give you a list to try

Here is mine

1-Rowans Creek

2-1792

3-Russels Reserve

4-4 Roses Single barrel

5-Jefferson’s Ocean (for that matter any Jeffersons )

6-Elijah Craig

7-Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace (Eagle rare is just BT but aged 10 yrs )

and always keep JB, Makers and Wild Turkey on hand

Plenty others but these are my favorites

I was given a bottle of Pappy a few months ago by a customer and just looked up what it sells for on the link above. Looks like I need to sell it

Quote Originally Posted by Big Time View Post
    As I remember I could buy a fifth, which means ask someone of age to buy it for me, of OFC for like $8 in the late 1990’s. I thought I was Big Time at 6 o’clock and feeling like I died by 10 o’clock. But it was good times, I think. I don’t even know if they still make OFC. We called it “On the Fword Couch” because that’s where you would be after drinking it.
    Hall’s is selling shots of a special release bottle of it for 250.00 to help raise money for a relief fund.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Heck everyone has bourbons they like , maybe we should just give you a list to try

Here is mine

1-Rowans Creek

2-1792

3-Russels Reserve

4-4 Roses Single barrel

5-Jefferson’s Ocean (for that matter any Jeffersons )

6-Elijah Craig

7-Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace (Eagle rare is just BT but aged 10 yrs )

and always keep JB, Makers and Wild Turkey on hand

Plenty others but these are my favorites
    So far I've got a bottle of everything on your list except for 4 Roses and Elijah Craig. Everything you've listed are definitely my favorites. The Jefferson's Ocean definitely stands out! I love Eagle Rare and BT, but I've actually had a hard time finding them of late. I love everything Makers Mark offers too. I also really enjoy Old Forrester 1920 Prohibition style.