Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bourbon hunting

Double Oak is gone again, I got a few cases right when it went on allocation.. you got some of my last

I drank some Blade and Bow the other night. It was a Christmas present from one of my reps. It was really good. He also gave a bottle of Angel's Envy, my dad, brother, and I all like the Blade and Bow way better. Another solid one is Old Forester 1910 and that is easy to find
    Last edited by theoldblackdog; 12-28-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    I drank some Blade and Bow the other night. It was a Christmas present from one of my reps. It was really good. He also gave a bottle of Angel's Envy, my dad, brother, and I all like the Blade and Bow way better
    Sshhh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Wow. It’s gotten even more crazy. How is the red wine market?
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 12-28-2021 at 08:43 AM.

Anything above makers46 is just arrogant for the sake of being hard to get along with. Brown likker snobs are just craft beer snobs with a career instead of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Anything above makers46 is just arrogant for the sake of being hard to get along with. Brown likker snobs are just craft beer snobs with a career instead of a job.
    Lots of truth here
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I don't know much about it, not a big drinker but I walked in a likker store the other day after a buddy called and said he saw
    Blantons on their shelf, I bought one larger bottle and one smaller bottle. Will probably gift them to buddies or someone that invites me hunting or fishing..
    The lady behind the counter says "It comes in every once in a while", usually on Mondays.
    She said, just call me on Monday's and I'll tell you if I got any in

I think the other thing to remember is don’t count out a lot of the “bottom shelf” bourbons. If you look at the MSRP on a lot of the allocated bourbons, they actually aren’t very high related to their market value. Also, as many have mentioned, don’t be that guy to just walk in and ask for whatever allocated bourbon by name. Try the Old Tub, Yellowstone, Early Times, Russell’s (10 year and SiB), Larceny, and some of the other mentioned ones. Repeat business and relationships will get you a lot further if hard to find bottles are what you want. And just remember, good bourbon isn’t meant ti be saved, it’s meant to be drank in good company.

I can speak for myself, but I never ask for something that I haven’t earned. I try, if possible, to buy several cases of good wine from Ralph annually. I’m going to buy and drink it anyway, I might as well get it from him, if I’m over that way. I rarely ask him for anything out of the ordinary, and if I do, I buy other things with it (vodka and shelf bourbon). I think it comes down to just being a decent person with some awareness. He has a lot of masters to serve, so be respectful. The TFC crew picked a barrel of Russell’s this year and it is/was delicious. I think that will be an annual deal.

The best advice is to fall in love with something that’s easy to get
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I have a friend who owns a Liqoure store Lexington. He has everything imaginable for the right price and constantly tells me to try other brands that are just as good. He has bottles and bottles of Pappy around the floor in his house wrapped in plastic bags that he will gladly sell but it’s stupid money. 15 years ago he couldn’t sell it and people looked at him crazy for asking 40-50.00 for a bottle of bourbon.

I’ve learned that NC regulates the supply a little differently and that it is run by the state. I stopped at two stores while visiting Maggie valley and got eagle rare and Kentucky owl for MSRP and it was on the shelf. The fun is in the chase for me. I like the feeling of finding a “hard to get” bottle but I also like gifting “hard to get” bottles.

At the end of the day, I had santa come over for all the kids two weeks ago for a holiday party. I had a few neighbors ask about a few hard to get bourbons that I had displayed on top of my old coke machine. In good fashion I told them to enjoy and have a few drinks….Those ass holes kept going back and back making drinks, taking pictures and bragging about the bottle of Blanton and Colonel Taylors they killed. They bragged about the smooth taste and the “perfect” color to there friends on FaceTime. Little did they know those bottles where full of Noah’s Mill bourbon and they never knew the difference.

yeah, I could of stacked pappy up in my stores like a wild man.. Years back, I'd get a couple cases of the 20 year old a year, sell it on the shelf for 90 bucks a bottle. I keep basically one a year to do something cool with, and that's only happened over the last two. I just don't give it much thought, other than people bothering me.

Highstrung keeps a running total of the requests for Blanton's each day. It is posted on a white board. I doubt it contains all of the inquiries that he fields.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoTrooper View Post

At the end of the day, I had santa come over for all the kids two weeks ago for a holiday party. I had a few neighbors ask about a few hard to get bourbons that I had displayed on top of my old coke machine. In good fashion I told them to enjoy and have a few drinks….Those ass holes kept going back and back making drinks, taking pictures and bragging about the bottle of Blanton and Colonel Taylors they killed. They bragged about the smooth taste and the “perfect” color to there friends on FaceTime. Little did they know those bottles where full of Noah’s Mill bourbon and they never knew the difference.
    That’s hilarious

that's awesome, trooper.

I prefer ginger ale and a lime in my bourbon, so its not right for me to have too much of the hard to get stuff.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The whole bourbon hunting thing is nuts. I am just north of Dallas, Texas and most all the stores around here have lottery's. Some have it where you spend XX dollars and get one entry into a drawing for different bottles. That could be Elmer, Blantons, EH Taylor, etc. The antique stuff is by drawing only. If you see it on a shelf, for instance there is a store south of me that requires you to have 5000 points in order to buy a bottle of Saz 18 or Pappy 15, and you guessed it...one point for every dollar spent and you can then buy the bottle at retail only after you have spent $5k on collecting the points.

There are too many other available brands out there better than Blantons, Elmer, Eagle Rare, etc. Four Roses small batch select is one, High West Double Rye for the rye drinkers, Old Forrester, Barrell bourbon is a blender that is putting out some good stuff, however it can be a bit pricey (near $100). Woodinville is another non Kentucky distiller that is putting out some good stuff. Wilderness trail is a newer Kentucky distiller that is puts some good product out as well.

A good friend of mine who lives in Wisconsin had a bottle of Blantons that was dumped in 1993 and he also had a bottle of Blantons dumped in 2019. The older stuff was much better than what is being produced now in my opinion.

Its nice to see there are store owners like Highstrung who still do it right by his customers. Too many folks these days who groom the relationship with the store owners only to turn the bottle around and sell it on the secondary market which is a whole other shit show.

HS knows if he ever finds a way to get Alaskan Brewing Smoked Porter, I better be first on the list. Been asking fir 10+ years! I will settle for a Pappy though……

Hilarious, Palmetto Trooper!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    that's awesome, trooper.

I prefer ginger ale and a lime in my bourbon, so its not right for me to have too much of the hard to get stuff.
    And this is why I buy and drink Evan Williams. Sometimes I even drink it neat.

Aight, a buddy put me on Eagle Rare several years back. What’s a good alternative?

I know I don’t like larceny, or any spicy ones. Recently had some Bulleit 9year barrel pick and it was the tits.

Go…
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 12-28-2021 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    Another solid one is Old Forester 1910 and that is easy to find
    And shhh. Plain old Old Forester is my go to. It's plenty good for me.
    Carolina Counsel