Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bourbon hunting

Default Bourbon hunting

I'm new to the bourbon hunting game, and I'm trying to find out the best method for getting the harder to find items and just learning the liquor business in general. For example, I recently had a glass of Elmer T Lee and loved it. Am I better off buying from as many stores in my area to look for it by chance, or do some stores have a better chance than others of getting it and I should spend all my time/money at a specific store to build a relationship? And do stores place orders for the more rare bottles, or is it just luck of the draw as to what the distiller sends on the truck?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    where are you located?
    Anderson/Greenville area

Relationship building has worked best for me. I buy everything from one store and I drive by, at least, 10 others to get there. At this point, the manager texts me when they have something good. Stores that move the most volume seem to get the best stuff. The store I frequent has a ton of restaurant and bar accounts.
    HS may contradict everything I just said, but that's how I figure it with my limited knowledge.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Ask highstrung if he has any Blantons in stock.

What MKW said. It may take a year or longer to build that relationship, and no, stores don’t get to place orders for allocated bourbons. They get what they get.

I'll type my full opinion on this in a little while. If I got started my wife would think I'm having bathroom problems

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I'll type my full opinion on this in a little while. If I got started my wife would think I'm having bathroom problems
    Thanks HS! I was hoping you'd pull the curtain back a little and show how things worked!

I'll help.
    Dont be "that guy." You cant call Ralph and expect him to give you his last special bourbon. If you are on his list, he will call YOU.

(I am sure he will say it nicer)
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

take a trip to Kentucky and you can get that bottle for half what it cost here.

https://kybourbontrail.com/map/

Even those days are long gone. If you want a bottle of Elmer I know of a bottle in Greenville for 500.00
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 12-28-2021 at 08:08 AM.

haha

I don't have a written list, everything is kept in my head. I don't do lotteries either, if someone doesn't like it, too bad.. I own my stores.

As of what MKW typed, that's kind of close. With the antique collection, it's all based on your Sazerac numbers which contain some bar brands, think like fireball. I'm the wholesaler for the area, and it helps me a little.. but I'm not going out there to compete for corporate accounts, chains, against MF's.. I'm not sure I'd like to even match his prices because I'm not into making tens of dollars a week. He's huge, basically covering the state, I just like most of my independents here, and I'll take care of them. Then you've got Green's.. I promise he hasn't cared much about it either other then servicing the restaurants the family owns.

Volume and being a decent account and person will get you more, here I have both (not trying to sound anymore cocky or sure than normal) I've known my guys for years, and I've grown up in the biz. I'm not bitching or throwing temper tantrums about little things.. I get a fair amount of bourbon, a solid amount.. I'm not going to throw a tantrum because I only got a few bottles of taylor or Buffalo or some shit one week, it'll all work out.

When it comes to most of it, I'm not even asking for bourbon. When it hits their systems, then I'll see some. Throwing a hissy fit asking for the Pappy or whatever when my salesmen or supervisors have no idea when it's coming in is assholish. It's allocated to a salesmen's pad just like the stores.. and if y'all don't know, liquor is wholesaled in a way where there's only one salesmen out of the big three basically selling one house. So, there's only one Sazerac salesman for an area, broken into maybe five areas in the state now.. that falls under one company. So he'll be pestered by 180ish to 100ish accounts weekly, and in return I'm getting bugged by hundreds maybe, give or take what time of year it is.

Now, just realize you're kind of getting into it late in the game, most have. I'd pick a new hobby or drink scotch, it's better anyways. If you're buying to drink then cool.. that won't be too hard. Normal things even like BT, Eagle Rare, things of that nature really aren't hard to find, then 4 roses, or any of the Elijah Craigs. Most just get all gitty about shit in the BT family. I find it nerdy as hell. I do, I find most of these guys needy as hell that come in here and pick through batch numbers looking for certain barrels. They might as well be talking about pokeman cards when they strike up a conversation with me. Bourbon, especially the rarer brands are such a minute piece of my business.. I'm not going to read up on them or care, I know what my better customers and friends tell me.

If you're into collecting higher ends, go west or into some of the New England areas, that's where some of my guys get cool shit, if I can't get it. If you're looking to resale, anyone of you, then I suggest you don't walk through my doors.. because you suck as a person. You are part of the problem that has caused all of this.

I can go on..

if you're looking to buy, just be a cool guy. Don't be needy or bug the shit out of owners or managers. Buy other things as well, don't just walk in, and ask "what do you have in the back" and then walk out.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    take a trip to Kentucky and you can get that bottle for half what it cost here.

https://kybourbontrail.com/map/
    that's not all true.. much if any

* I typed most of that in broken thought trains.. it's kind of a busy morning. I can answer other questions, I'm in the process of the busy season and buying

This high dollar bourbon, do we stop at a buzz or we gonna get drunk with it? Does any of it come in handle size?
    Low country redneck who moved north

I remember being able to get Elmer whenever i wanted for 35. Those were the days. It will take time to get in the loop with a liquor store owner. The annoyance of finding special ones took away from the enjoyment of drinking it. I am more than happy with makers, makers 46, and was recently surprised by woodford. I had turned my nose up to it for a long time, but was pleasantly surprised. It's fun to have rare ones, its also fun to not feel guilty about drinking them

I got into this bourbon hippie BS a few years ago, I drank some really good bourbons, but I'm not over paying or pestering the shit out of people over a bottle of Blanton's. I'll go grab a bottle of 4 Roses or Woodford off the shelf and be just as happy.

Most of those clowns that call themselves bourbon snobs couldn't blind taste a pour of Blanton's against a pour of Woodford and know the damn difference anyway......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Elmer T Lee went away for like two years.. I used to keep a case of so in the back, I've gotten a decent amount this year. My bottles went for 47.99, in that range.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    It's fun to have rare ones, its also fun to not feel guilty about drinking them

Amen to this too. The best thing I ever did with a bottle of bourbon was give a 12 year pappy to a fundraiser auction.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Correct. I will take Blantons over just about all of them. Woodford double oak is damn hard to beat for the money and availability.