Thread: GPS equipment tracker

Default GPS equipment tracker

Had an incident close to home this week where a local contractor passed away and his equipment was stolen the same night. His truck, trailer and excavator were fortunately recovered fairly quickly, but not before the local tweakers did a number on them. It got me to thinking that I’d like to equip my truck and equipment with some form of GPS tracking system and wondered if anyone on here had any experience with it or a system to recommend. Thanks.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

What about one of them amazon square things?

Trackunit

The Apple Air-Tags are pretty good and cheap, but.................... another Iphone has to be around for them to work. So if your thief has an iphone you are good...if not, you may be screwed until someone with an iphone comes within the trackers reach.

Check with Steelin. He had a truck stolen off one of my sites a few years ago and tracked it down. That was cool.

To the OP. I deal with telematics and connectivity of equipment. Trimble, ARI, CAT Connect, OMNI Metrix and Trackunit are all I have experience with over the last 10-12 years. All work on GPS and are connect via cellular and/or GPS.

I had a spot trace on a tractor. It works really well, but they went up of annual pricing.

I think airtags will force companies to be more competitive on pricing. If they have, then spot trace is a good solution. The aaa batteries in the unit would last about 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    To the OP. I deal with telematics and connectivity of equipment. Trimble, ARI, CAT Connect, OMNI Metrix and Trackunit are all I have experience with over the last 10-12 years. All work on GPS and are connect via cellular and/or GPS.
    Is there a SC distributor you’d recommend?
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    I had a spot trace on a tractor. It works really well, but they went up of annual pricing.

I think airtags will force companies to be more competitive on pricing. If they have, then spot trace is a good solution. The aaa batteries in the unit would last about 8 months.
    If they would make an air-tag that didn't require it coming in contact with an iphone to work it would be totally awesome. I'd have one on everything I owned, including the gf.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Check with Steelin. He had a truck stolen off one of my sites a few years ago and tracked it down. That was cool.
    Lol, fowlmouth30 is the man that got it back for him

I was eating lunch and steelin texted me asking for fowlmouths # bc he knew we were friends.
    A little while later fowlmouth called me and said “ you ain’t gonna believe what steelin sucks just called me about”
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 12-25-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I use DPL Telematics on all our equipment and fleet. I have ours set up where we are notified if a piece of equipment leaves the geo fence or their speed exceeds the ground speed of the equipment.