Thread: Hunt #2. Rainy day in the duck marsh.

Default Hunt #2. Rainy day in the duck marsh.

Got out Wednesday for the second hunt of the season. I had a newbie with me that had never bird hunted much less duck hunted before. He works for me at the Coast Guard Training Center and was more then willing to learn and to purchase what was necessary to hunt so I told him I’d take him. Due to the rainy forecast we decided to not go at first light. The tide would be too low to get where I wanted anyway so we hit the water around 9am with plans to try for striper until the tide got high enough to set up.

CDDCD26E-50FA-4A97-848F-12DBA8E524CB.jpg

The fishing was less than stellar and after climbing a levee to take a look at the area I wanted to hunt we decided to push pole our way into the marsh.

CCC71D87-AF09-4D98-B1E6-B14127C0E422.jpg

We got close enough to the area I wanted to be to set out decoys but would have to wait on a bit more water to push into the grass and get covered up. This area isn’t walkable if you’re outside of the tules. That mud is like axle grease. You sink up to about crotch deep and then the suction makes it pretty much impossible to move. You’re definitely at the mercy of the tide when hunting this marsh!

D2510F9E-B7BF-46F0-B78E-9BADCACDB260.jpg

701ACA59-FAC5-491E-BD9D-A776D128A823.jpg

A04C01F1-7199-4C09-9355-E2D2C5377DC2.jpg

Things started off with a pair of gadwall. I doubled on them dropping the hen in our lap and sailing the drake that I would have to pick up later once the water came in.

FF5D6823-DBC2-40EB-86DF-CD1689EC572F.jpg

It didn’t take long and we had the beginnings of a nice pile. My buddy’s first bird ever was a drake pintail!

B8DFF028-0E60-404E-98C9-3A8D7D4EF73E.jpg

When it was all said and done we ended the day with 11 birds. I had a little mixed bag limit and the newb shot his pintail, a pair of canvasback drakes, and a GWT. Not bad for his first hunt ever. A little better shooting and he could have easily killed his limit as well. The teal put on quite a show but he just couldn’t connect with enough of them before shooting time ended!

394A219A-F9D8-4EEC-A205-CD2E0A98F8D8.jpg
    Last edited by Ring King; 12-24-2021 at 03:13 PM.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Nice!! He’s spoiled now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Well done!

God i hope he never tries to hunt in SC, he will be dissapointed for sure. Nice killing and good on you for taking a newbe.

Yep, he is hooked!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Nice. I enjoy hearing about your hunts RK.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Nice! Keep em coming!

Thanks for sharing. Very nice.

Now that is a great post and what this place is about!!

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Always love these posts, especially the photos. Great Job!

To think you can go and freelance in he middle of the day somewhere and walk out with that. Good going. Keep it coming.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

That’s awesome. Please keep the posts coming throughout the season. Makes me miss living out west
    More Ducks, Less People