Thread: Looking to get started

Default Looking to get started

As the title states I want to do some trapping on my property just to try to do my part. Probably not this year but next and figured it may be a good way to get the kid out the house and go run some lines. Where does one start to look for information and learn. I know jack crap about trapping.

What are you wanting to trap? Coons, canines or both?

Trapperman has a ton of info, youtube videos, etc, I would advise tagging along with someone if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I’ve been out trapping with a buddy and his dad once in my life. The only thing I learned from it was if you happen to snag a bobcat, go ahead and shoot it. Watching my buddies dad set that thing loose from the safety of his truck cab left a lasting impression

Trapperman.com is good. You can also get in touch with trappers on the DNR list and some of them will let you tag along, others will let you pay them to come show you. Both methods can be of value. You can watch 100 youtube videos and learn less practical info than a trapper can teach you in an hour, but there is value in them, too.

ETA- Or pretty much what Buckpro said...

https://www.youtube.com/user/Managem...ntage/featured

There are some good videos on trapping here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Managem...ntage/featured

There are some good videos on trapping here.
    I don't disagree with JAB's logic, but these videos are good and helped me get started.