Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: What are you willing to do to see more ducks?

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    Do you scout or show up at a place without looking at it first?
    When I say "scouting" I am referring to the people driving boats through ducks at all hours of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    Didn't SCANA own it? If so, budget was no issue for them as has been proven over and over again. Need more money, just raise rates. Simple.

I'd like someone actually try to scour the books to see what it's really cost to run it for the last 10-15 years.
    That's my point....there are no budgets for those type of properties!
    Which is exactly why SCDNR probably ran from any possibility of ownership or management responsibility.
    It would be a nightmare....as I understand it, the property has a pump system that pumps water on and off the property 365 days per year.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Farming that soli caused it to actually sink. I has fallen nearly two feet over the years. What was once a relatively easy property to cultivate has become increasingly wet and required pumping out to avoid drowning planted waterfowl crops.

Since PRT (Parks, Recreation, and Tourism) will own it and there are several buildings on the property, it looks like a reasonable to combine PRT with DNR management. While it is a sportsmans paradise the most unique asset is the upland impoundments. It will likely grow up in trees if left solely to PRT.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

South Carolina's Aquatic Plant Management Council to meet January 11 at Poinsett State Park
    COLUMBIA, S.C. (Jan 7, 2022) — The S.C. Aquatic Plant Management Council will meet at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at Poinsett State Park, as well as virtually via WebEx. The meeting is open to the public.
    Anyone with business for the council or who wishes to receive WebEx log-in instructions should contact Julie Holling at the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) by email at hollingj@dnr.sc.gov. To provide for an efficient meeting and to allow time for anyone who would like to speak to the Council, please contact Julie Holling in advance if you would like to address the Council or otherwise participate in the meeting. Items scheduled on the agenda for the meeting include:

Call to Order of the 138th Meeting
    Approval of Minutes of the March 10, 2021, Council Meeting (137th)
    Public Comments
    Recap of 2021 Aquatic Control Operations:
    a. Santee Cooper
    b. SCDNR
    2020-21 Triploid Grass Carp Health
    Review & Approval of 2022 Draft Aquatic Plant Management Plan to Post for Public Comment
    Topics and Dates for 2022 Council Meetings
    Other Business
    Adjournment
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

It will be interesting to hear what they have to TELL us because I can promise they aren’t LISTENING…..

That probably needs it's own thread Joey, but Tchick ain't wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    It will be interesting to hear what they have to TELL us because I can promise they aren’t LISTENING…..
    It is just a feel good session to make you think you matter. In truth you don't to them.

Best duck call in the world

I guess we had a our chance with a so called pandemic. If you wanted good duck hunting to return, you would have needed 30-50% of the people on this continent at least to have perished.
    The reality is that if duck numbers are stable or even increased, the sheer number of people has either increased or remained steady on less and less ground.

We are all middle aged for the most part around this site from what I can tell. So I bet non of us think of the 1990's as ancient times. But the US population in the 1990 census was about 250million people. The expected census for 2020 is going to be around 330 million give or take. So in the time you switched your Pearl Jam CD to streaming on Spotify, there are now almost 100M more of us around.

Even if the absolute percentage of hunters was the same or decreased, there are simply more humans chasing the same resources on less ground.
    Then compound the issue is that places surprisingly have lost population like entire swaths of the mid-west and WV which jams more people into the same areas. AKA the coast is more crowded than ever. I fly a lot for work and flying over the east coast is eye opening.

So, enjoy what you have because your just sharing it with more people. It sucks for sure.

I went to do a jump shoot in my canoe last Satuday. 4 trucks at the ramp where I have never encountered another soul.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    I guess we had a our chance with a so called pandemic. If you wanted good duck hunting to return, you would have needed 30-50% of the people on this continent at least to have perished.
    The reality is that if duck numbers are stable or even increased, the sheer number of people has either increased or remained steady on less and less ground.

We are all middle aged for the most part around this site from what I can tell. So I bet non of us think of the 1990's as ancient times. But the US population in the 1990 census was about 250million people. The expected census for 2020 is going to be around 330 million give or take. So in the time you switched your Pearl Jam CD to streaming on Spotify, there are now almost 100M more of us around.

Even if the absolute percentage of hunters was the same or decreased, there are simply more humans chasing the same resources on less ground.
    Then compound the issue is that places surprisingly have lost population like entire swaths of the mid-west and WV which jams more people into the same areas. AKA the coast is more crowded than ever. I fly a lot for work and flying over the east coast is eye opening.

So, enjoy what you have because your just sharing it with more people. It sucks for sure.
    You, Sir, have your finger on the pulse...

In my professional opinion…this is the issue…I can’t see how someone with the preferred qualifications in this job description has any business managing wetlands. Gone are the days of salty rednecks who grew up on a farm or in the swamp or both managing properties for ducks. Go to any of the historically successful plantations in that area and see who is managing them? Sure some of those managers have degrees but most if not all learned what they know outside of a classroom! Over educated wildlife managers are typically not the most successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

To further my point…when I did my internship at Santee Coastal there wasn’t what I would call an “academic” anywhere to be seen. Bill was the Tech IV and Jamie Rader was the Biologist. Jamie had a masters I believe but he was a dyed in the wool duck man! And I don’t need to elaborate on my good friend Bill everyone knows about him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.