Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you willing to do to see more ducks?

Default What are you willing to do to see more ducks?

Just what the title says, what are you willing to do to see more ducks in our Atlantic Flyway?

Had some thoughtful discussion the last couple days in the blind with a friend who hunts all over the world.

My thought on ducks migrating is this, #1 weather, #2 habitat, #3 pressure/rest.

Only two of those items you can control. And one of those two you can only partially control. The third item we can fully control.

So what’s the first step. What do we as hunters have to sacrifice to be able to see the numbers return? How can hunters and government work together instead of the blame game? Are we pissing in the wind with this discussion or can we actually do something to change this trend.

My opinion is first limiting the season or hours to hunt and how you are able to hunt from a transportation stand point. Second thought is seeing a way for private companies to manage or farmers allowed to share crop on state and federal land. In SC are a small state but we have a lot of the remaining habitat on the coast in conservation easements. Public hunting near these private properties wouldn’t be what it is if these folks didn’t work hard to keep up their land.

Finally the hot button issue. Scientifically, is taking natural habitat and planting row crops effecting migration. Will people study this and change on their own what their habitat looks like? What should a duck be eating or foraging for to be able to migrate. Is there a balance to find for folks to be happy about not being told what to do on their property to wanting to help duck numbers enough to change practices.

Long I know but thoughts.
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Throw corn out.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Our refuges are junk. I don’t think weather is a big part here either. Maybe for mallard hunters, but not for what we have. I don’t see why they can’t make 1000s of acres of waterfowl habitat in the Francis Marion forest.
    867-5309

Carpacide and aerial planting of wheat/rice along shorelines of public lakes after winter drawdown.

Our state wants all public fresh water to be crystal clear swimming pools. Ducks need food.

The pressure deal is going to be tough, especially with public hunting being as competitive as it is.

I am willing to leave my guns in the safe to go trout fishing. it is a hell of a lot more rewarding.
    DILLIGAF

I think that we should come up with ideas that benefit duck hunters across the state to get the most participation from waterfowlers. Stocking carp in any and all SC waterways should be top on the list to stop. I think that a time cap is a good idea or should at least be discussed.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

restore the Santee Cooper lakes to 40% SAV coverage then discuss the other items.

50k acres of food not being here is the issue.

It’s a balmy 74 degrees in central Florida right now and I got a text at 9:04 “5 man limit.”
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    I am willing to leave my guns in the safe to go trout fishing. it is a hell of a lot more rewarding.
    Yep. I like to duck hunt. I don't love it. Which is why when it became too much work and the ROI went down I quit. Got invited to go with some folks to hunt public a few years ago. 15 minutes after setting up the guys I went with were motoring over to some dudes who set up close and were in a shouting match.

Last time I put on waders with the intent to kill a duck and I never shouldered a gun that day.

In order to have more ducks, you have to raise more ducks and for the most part that takes place way north of here. I don't know the answer as to how to accomplish that, but I'm pretty sure that's where it has to start.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    restore the Santee Cooper lakes to 40% SAV coverage then discuss the other items.

It’s a balmy 74 degrees in central Florida right now and I got a text at 9:04 “5 man limit.”
    And it always has been hot down there. HABITAT
    867-5309

But all these talks are pointless if nobody does anything about it.

This state was poisoned by SCDNR and Santee Cooper in the 1990s and unfortunately not all of those men have retired yet.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I’ll never quit. My boys are becoming of age and I love the challenge here.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    big thumbs up thingie!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Awesome to hear about your boy's first pintail!
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post

This.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Awesome to hear about your boy's first pintail!
    Thanks! He’s got it bad
    867-5309

All the large lakes need dedicated refuge areas where birds can rest and not get harassed 24/7. Aquatic vegetation would also help. I’d be willing to make duck season only open on weekends from nov thru Jan. If something isn’t done soon SC will be a duck desert. Its bad. Scdnr is a joke compared to other state resources I have been to.

Plant the refuges

WE have been having this discussion on here for 30 years. Someone call Nab.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

DO NOT PLANT THE REFUGES!

That was one of the worst ideas in the history of waterfowling.