Thread: How to manage freshly thinned pines for deer habitat ?

Default How to manage freshly thinned pines for deer habitat ?

The loggers just left last week from doing a first thinning of planted pines in S Spartanburg county.
    Our hunting land lacks bedding cover.
    these pines surround plenty of lush food plots.
    I know all the new sunlight will start some new growth.
    It looks like I can get our small disc or spring tooth plow between some rows of pines
    When should I lightly plow? Now or early spring?
    And is the juice worth the squeeze?
    Any other ideas?

Fertilize the natural vegetation

Controlled burning is the best thing you can do to put nutrients back into the soil and promote fresh growth.
    For the ducks

They love the non pine stump growth

Burn it. Preferably a back burn or maybe a strip or patch burn if you can keep it from getting too hot. In February I would disk as much as you can in the cut rows to promote legumes and grasses to grow.

Burn it when you can. But if you can disturb the soil with a disc or something like that in between the rows now you will promote lots of great natural browse and cover!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Burn it. If enough light white clover on some roads, but most importantly burn it.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Burn it. If enough light white clover on some roads, but most importantly burn it.
    Do I call the state forestry office to line up a fire? Does the state still do that for any of their wildlife/ forestry projects for habitat?

Or is this the job of a paid forestry guy?

Quote Originally Posted by prcn View Post
    Do I call the state forestry office to line up a fire? Does the state still do that for any of their wildlife/ forestry projects for habitat?

Shoot me a pm. I’d be happy to discuss this with you!

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by prcn View Post

Short answer is yes the state will do it but who knows when! Best bet is to have them install fire breaks this year and then either take on the job yourself, hire a consultant, or wait on the state to get to it.

Like others said burn and disk. If your going to disk do it between November and Mid February. If you disk in spring and summer you’ll get all kinds of junk you don’t want. Disking in winter will promote beneficial plants. And it doesn’t have to look like your going to plant a garden. If your are disking a half to a third of the plant material in the ground you’re good.
    Last edited by CreekGeek; 12-15-2021 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CreekGeek View Post
    Like others said burn and disk. If your going to disk do it between November and Mid February. If you disk in spring and summer you’ll get all kinds of junk you don’t want. Disking in winter will promote beneficial plants. And it doesn’t have to look like your going to plant a garden. If your are disking a half to a third of the plant material in the ground you’re good.
    This. Disk now to promote better grasses and forbs . Burn in 2023

I would fertilize the natural growth.

The best hunting in the world IMO is natural growth in thinned pines....I will takt that over beautiful hardwoods, dirt roads and food plots ALL DAY.

Based on the responses, burning may help. The pines I have hunted seemed like the browse in burned pines never grew up nearly as thick with briars and such as pines left to grow without a burn.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I need GPS location to take a look at it and I'll let you know about the deer herd. If it's brown it'll be down
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

We have our place on a 3-4 year burn rotation. It just depends on weather and what we get burned. We average 250-300 acres a year. If someone with a limited budget asked me what they should do, I would say spend all your money on burning. It’s the best possible thing you can do for the trees and wildlife alike. Different animals use different year burns for different reasons. Turkeys love to feed in a fresh burn. Year 1-2 the hens will use it for nesting and deer for bedding.

use someone else's disc
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

or call ceddy and let him use his companies big &!(*#^*!_)(@ disc

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    They love the non pine stump growth
    deer ate my winged sumac leaves like crazy.
    dont think i had ever noticed that before...

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    deer ate my winged sumac leaves like crazy.
    dont think i had ever noticed that before...
    Called mineral stumps I believe. They hammer the black gum stumps as they sprout at the place I hunt.