Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFA: SBRs Short Barrel Rifles = Less than 16" Barrels

Default NFA: SBRs Short Barrel Rifles = Less than 16" Barrels

I have had alot of questions lately about SBRs.

How much interest do we have here in owning one?

The process will be the same as a suppressor. If you have already gotten a suppressor from me, this will be an easy process. If you have gotten more than one suppressor from me, the process will look the same.

I am going to have 10-20 of our East Lake Industries lowers available as SBRs.

The price will be $125 per lower. Of course you will have to pay Uncle Sugar $200 your Tax Stamp.

Please let me know any questions you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

what is the latest on braces?

What is process converting pistol to SBR? do i have to disassemble while waiting? can i keep it a pistolero? do i have to turn it in to an FFL while Uncle Sam sits on paper?

Teach me Obi Wan....
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I have no idea about the braces. Most people go from pistol to SBR. They keep it in the pistol configuration until they pick up their stamp. Then they remove the brace and put on a stock and continue business as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I have no idea about the braces. Most people go from pistol to SBR. They keep it in the pistol configuration until they pick up their stamp. Then they remove the brace and put on a stock and continue business as normal.
    So, I can take my 6.8spc and buy a tax stamp, then put the rifle stock on it and have a SBR? Does it matter if I then change out an upper to say a .300 AAC or does it have to stay a 6.8?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    So, I can take my 6.8spc and buy a tax stamp, then put the rifle stock on it and have a SBR? Does it matter if I then change out an upper to say a .300 AAC or does it have to stay a 6.8?
    Once you have your stamp, your SBR lower can have any upper on it that you want.

one lower to rule them all....

one is none...

Isn't it illegal to convert a lower that was originally registered as a rifle receiver into a pistol receiver? I thought putting a short barrel and brace on a rifle can get you in trouble.

A rifle can never be a pistol. A pistol can become a rifle or SBR.

Pistol braces will eventually go away just like the bump stock did. 16" barrels are not ideal for all situation. I like to use short barrels with suppressors tucked up inside hand guards.

Any SBR pics?

Do you do the stamp and form 4 through silencer shop or external?
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Another thing to consider is running a vertical foregrip on a pistol. I have a issue with my support hand wrist that makes it painful to grip shorter length hand guards with the thumb over bore grip style, even when using handstops/angled grips like the BCM KAG or Magpul AFG. A vertical foregrip fixes that issue, but unless your pistol has an overall length of 26 inches, or more, vertical grips are a no-go (thanks NFA). If you SBR it, you can put whatever you want on it. Probably not an issue for most people, but something to keep in mind if you like VFGs.
    Last edited by wskinner; 12-15-2021 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Another thing to consider is running a vertical foregrip on a pistol. I have a issue with my support hand wrist that makes it painful to grip shorter length hand guards with the thumb over bore grip style, even when using handstops/angled grips like the BCM KAG or Magpul AFG. A vertical foregrip fixes that issue, but unless your pistol has an overall length of 26 inches, or more, vertical grips are a no-go (thanks NFA). If you SBR it, you can put whatever you want on it. Probably not an issue for most people, but something to keep in mind if you like VFGs.
    I believe the ruling states the vertical grip is 90° to the boar of the barrel. There are several companies including BCM that make one that is 87°. Figured I would put that out there
    Last edited by Steelin' Ducks; 08-05-2022 at 05:45 PM.

Once you have your stamp, your SBR lower can have any upper on it that you want.
    Not sure if that's 100% correct. When you stamp the lower you declare a caliber and barrel length. Unless things have changed.

I have a 12" SBR built on a BCM upper. Runs like a sewing machine. Next project is a 8" 300 AAC with a Law Tactical folder. I will run that with a SilencerCo Saker direct thread up under the handguard.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I believe the ruling states the vertical grip is 90° to the boar of the barrel. There are several companies including BCM that make one that is 47°. Figured I would put that out there
    If you mean this one, I’ve definitely thought about it. I agree that it’s not 90 degrees and shouldn’t be considered a vertical foregrip, per the latest ATF definition, but BCM calls it a Vertical Grip, so I’m hesitant to put it on a pistol. I have the full size and the short, and like them more than anything else I’ve tried.

DE9EB16A-2319-4015-BC1F-0E1A7E30D49D.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Not sure if that's 100% correct. When you stamp the lower you declare a caliber and barrel length. Unless things have changed.

I have a 12" SBR built on a BCM upper. Runs like a sewing machine. Next project is a 8" 300 AAC with a Law Tactical folder. I will run that with a SilencerCo Saker direct thread up under the handguard.
    Site a ruling and prove me wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    If you mean this one, I’ve definitely thought about it. I agree that it’s not 90 degrees and shouldn’t be considered a vertical foregrip, per the latest ATF definition, but BCM calls it a Vertical Grip, so I’m hesitant to put it on a pistol. I have the full size and the short, and like them more than anything else I’ve tried.

DE9EB16A-2319-4015-BC1F-0E1A7E30D49D.jpeg
    This one right here.

This one right here.
    They could call it a machine gun and it doesn't change the definition with the ATF.

I am not an attorney but I stayed at a Holiday Inn express three weeks ago

Does anyone else fell left out of black gun conversations? I even have them and I still don’t understand the majority of what y’all are saying. Were is my orphan Annie decoder pin?

one is none...
    Preach