Thread: Bow “release”/trigger for 12 yo

Default Bow “release”/trigger for 12 yo

I know jack squat about bows. But my son is into it now and I need to get him a trigger release.

Any suggestions? I have no idea if there is a hill of beans difference between an $18 release on Amazon and a $200 one.

Also, I guess he could use a decent sight as well if anyone has a recommendation.

Thanks for the help!

Also, with a compound bow does he need something to protect his forearm?

I use a truball stinger. I have had the one bow for the past 5 years think I paid 45$ for it

any release works. dont listen to the mafia that says it has to say "scott" on it. unless you bought it used from some guy named scott.

sight? he needs one. single pin. set at 15 steps and rock on.

no, he doesnt need an arm guard. let him whack his arm once and he will get better form.

I am a unicorn in regards to my opinions on this subject, apparently....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    any release works. dont listen to the mafia that says it has to say "scott" on it. unless you bought it used from some guy named scott.

sight? he needs one. single pin. set at 15 steps and rock on.

no, he doesnt need an arm guard. let him whack his arm once and he will get better form.

I am a unicorn in regards to my opinions on this subject, apparently....
    And I second the single pin. Went that route several years ago and haven’t looked back. Especially with a kid will make it simple.

i have two scott little bitty goose releases as backups. I would be more than happy to give one to your son.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 10.40.59 AM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat8991 View Post
    I use a truball stinger. I have had the one bow for the past 5 years think I paid 45$ for it
    Same here. Have two of them, just because they seem to have a smooth release and hold up well. The second is just a back-up in the pack in case something breaks.

Any decent sight will work. Singles are fine to begin with, or if you find a good use multi-pin you can always remove the additional ones and set the last one for 15 to 20 yds. Make him discipline himself to shoot no longer than 20 yds until he really gets some experience under his belt.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Going single pin is a good way to get started. Buy a 3 Pin fixed sight and remove the bottom 2 pins. Center the remaining pin in the middle of the sight. When mounting the sight use the holes that keep the pin as close to the shooter as possible. If he goes with a peep sight get the biggest one you can find.

Buying a good release will help him in the long run. You don't have to spend a lot to get one. Let him shoot a couple and go from there.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

You need to check to make sure the strap on the release will cinch down small enough for a youth. It also helps consistency to get a buckle strap instead of velcro so it is the exact same length every time. There are releases that do not fasten around the wrist and that might work better for a youth.

The dentist is spot on.

Trufire used to make a youth release and probably still do for about $25. I killed a lot of critters with a fixed single pin sight between 12 and 16 years old. Set it for 15 or 20 yards.

Thank you for the replies gentlemen. Based on your recommendations I reckon I’ll give this one a try:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/tru-...rchery-release