Default Oyster stew

Anyone have an heirloom recipe?

Oysters milk butter salt and pepper
    Will throw in an onion every now and then

@Jarrett80

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    Oysters milk butter salt and pepper
    Will throw in an onion every now and then
    Be sure to save the juice out of the oysters to add. I have not added onion, but smash up a stack of ritz crackers in it and let it stew a few minutes as well.

Its a perfect day for oyster stew for sure.

Wife and I once stopped at the Edisto Motel late one night. The guy that owned the place (can't remember his name) was cleaning up and I asked him what made his oyster stew better than others (and it was for sure about as good as any I ever ate). He sat down at the table and we had a short conversation. The jist of the conversation was that they "cold shucked" the oysters and regardless of any other way you made the stew that was the most important to get a tender and plump oyster. I think their stew was simply milk, butter some oyster liquor, salt and pepper (maybe white pepper? not sure on the last.

I am mainly looking for measures, but any tips always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
    Be sure to save the juice out of the oysters to add.
    Yessir. I have that covered. Finally found a use for this contraption that changed my oyster game entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by chessieman View Post
    Wife and I once stopped at the Edisto Motel late one night. The guy that owned the place (can't remember his name) was cleaning up and I asked him what made his oyster stew better than others (and it was for sure about as good as any I ever ate). He sat down at the table and we had a short conversation. The jist of the conversation was that they "cold shucked" the oysters and regardless of any other way you made the stew that was the most important to get a tender and plump oyster. I think their stew was simply milk, butter some oyster liquor, salt and pepper (maybe white pepper? not sure on the last.
    Interesting. Thank you. We used to get a couple of quart jars of cold shucked at Thanksgiving and Christmas from a family down there. They made the best oyster pies and stews that I ever ran across. Hell, half a jar raw was heaven...

How are the pizzas in that thing?

No idea. I got it for Christmas last year about 2 days before I quit eating carbs and sugar. It sure opens an oyster in a heartbeat though...

Haha. Good for you. I got my parents one they never used and I am ready to take it back.

How many oysters can you cook in that thing at a time?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Enough to keep up with 4 people going at it. Even 5 would be too many. It also takes +- 15 minutes to get the stone hot...

Recipes! Great, I was afraid this was going to be another thread with pics of food.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Right now, I am using a piece of sheet metal over a syrup kettle with a wood fire inside, and wet towels over them. You're just using pizza oven convection and like it? (taking notes)
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Ive built fires and stacked block around it and used sheet metal just like you, wet towels on top. Lately ive filled a deep frying pot up with water about beer can height. Fill up 3-4 beer cans place in water. Fish frying basket on top with the oysters. I could really go for an oyster stew tonight myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

You don't have your own recipe? You are a Ball/Whaley for Christ's sake!
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    Recipes! Great, I was afraid this was going to be another thread with pics of food.
    We should do an SCDUCKS cookbook.

All good oyster stew starts with collards

That is inherently the problem. None of the men ever thought about going into a kitchen, and it never occurred to me to pay any attention to the men who cooked the best shit on Saturday's after a hunt somewhere...

An SCDUCKS cookbook would be fire.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14