Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still locals?

We don't really touch corn until late seasons.. and making use of normal agriculture practices help. Birds will come and go this time of year. They can be gone in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Last year we chopped 100% of a field and birds actually left. Think they like the vertical cover with the hawk ingestion we have now.
    I agree with this. Over the years, it seems doves act like more like quail where I hunt.

Dont have a field but we are seeing a lot of new birds on our property right now. Coming hard to feeders and cut edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    We don't really touch corn until late seasons.. and making use of normal agriculture practices help. Birds will come and go this time of year. They can be gone in a day.
    This ^ In my experience in the later season when it gets really cold they prefer whole kernel corn opposed to cracked ( silage chopped).

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I think the birds we shot over Thanksgiving were of the big, fast migratory type.
    Also, in my experience I think flowers dry to a point they get hard this time of year making it difficult for birds to remove the seed.
    Therefore, keeping fresh feed available on the ground is critical IMO.
    Peanut fields are full of birds down here now hopefully that changes quickly.
    wouldnt a local bird be bigger than a bird that is migrating?
    i'm not just being argumentative....just partly so but I am interested in the answer.

my tractor mechanic sucks or i'd have some flowers down by this time of year.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i'm not just being argumentative....just partly so but I am interested in the answer.

No. I don't know the answer to why but I know that they aren't. More proof would be to compare migratory ducks to local ones.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

northern birds (and ducks) are bigger due to fat reserves required for migration. And they're coming from colder climates.

you havent been on a good hunt so you dont get to answer....(but i do see your point)

to me a migratory bird flies 100 miles an hour and is in big groups and leaves once you shoot at it....and, obviously, you dont see any "young of the year" birds.

i've seen november birds that seemed to fat to fly that were local.
    and these critters aint ducks and they aint living in the tundra.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I thought only like 3-5% of the doves killed in SC were migratory?
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

Bergmann's rule is an ecogeographical rule that states that within a broadly distributed taxonomic clade, populations and species of larger size are found in colder environments, while populations and species of smaller size are found in warmer regions. Wikipedia
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    I thought only like 3-5% of the doves killed in SC were migratory?
    How would anyone even guess at something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    How would anyone even guess at something like that?
    It's very believable. Most people only hunt doves in September then plow their fields under and go on to other things.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    It's very believable. Most people only hunt doves in September then plow their fields under and go on to other things.
    This is false.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    This is false.
    You think there are more people hunting doves in the late-season than those who hunt opening week?

I bet if you took a poll of hunters here you would see the trend swing heavily towards what I am saying.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 12-07-2021 at 02:43 PM.

I think more and more hunt winter every year, I always have. I think the only people that reserve their dove hunting for the first season are people that hunt to say they hunt. They're weak by design, like vegetarians, and really shouldn't be a threat to doves or anything else.

Hunted winter birds all my life. In fact, as a youth we didn't even hunt in September..... In fact, I only recall cold weather, fried dove and grits, and the smell of gunpowder in my youth!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    You think there are more people hunting doves in the late-season than those who hunt opening week?

I bet if you took a poll of hunters here you would see the trend swing heavily towards what I am saying.
    I think it’s the same amount of people hunting all season long in most cases. I take my shotgun to work and a case of shells all season long in case an invite pops up. I don’t know a single person who has disced the field under because they’ve moved on to other things, and I know a shit ton of people with dove fields, it’s kinda my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I think it’s the same amount of people hunting all season long in most cases. I take my shotgun to work and a case of shells all season long in case an invite pops up. I don’t know a single person who has disced the field under because they’ve moved on to other things, and I know a shit ton of people with dove fields, it’s kinda my job.

Just take a poll. I think you’ll be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I think more and more hunt winter every year, I always have. I think the only people that reserve their dove hunting for the first season are people that hunt to say they hunt. They're weak by design, like vegetarians, and really shouldn't be a threat to doves or anything else.
    I’ve come to like the cooler weather dove hunting as I’ve aged. We have recently gotten permission to a freshly cut corn field. Sat on it with 6 guns the last day of this last season, and we probably could’ve used 60. Birds were everywhere, just didn’t have enough bodies. Working on that now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Have gun, will travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?