Thread: New prop advice

Default New prop advice

There use to be a wealth of information on this topic several years ago but I can’t locate it. Busted up my prop and need to get a new one. As I recall power tech is the brand I’m looking for but I can’t remember which model is the fastest/best all around.

Boat: 548 war eagle
    Motor: Yamaha 30hp with 40 carbs (not super tuned up but not a 30)

What model and pitch powertech should I be looking for? I’m not racing but I’m also not running heavy loads. I’d like a good middle of the road prop that’s fast but and can haul some weight when hunting.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

What is your current prop?
    What are your current WOT RPMs?
    Any running character you are trying to correct such as porpoise, blow out in turns, etc?

I had sra3 13 pitch on my 25. It was tad over a stock 30. If yours is a little hotter you might could swing a 14. Mine was on a 542 though. It jumped out the hole and ran 38 or so. That was bolted to transom with no tilt and trim.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I do not have a tach. Motor is on a breakaway plate with cavitation plate 1.25” above hull bottom. No running issues with current prop it just got bent up on some concrete and not worth paying to get fixed. Current prop is a 13F? Came on the motor when I bought it off of here. Runs about 35 empty.
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Check SOLAS website
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I can’t give you much advice on what to run, but I can tell you I just bought a Powertech 13P for my Yamaha 40 from Nettles and had it in about 3 weeks. Dropped shipped straight from PT because they didn’t have it in stock. The guy I spoke with on the phone was very helpful. He even called me back a couple weeks after the initial call to let me know it had shipped and was otw. Would definitely buy from them again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Default New prop advice

Call Ken Reeves at prop gods in Florida. Give him the boat and motor specs and he’’ll get you started. They’’ll let you test props for $50, and if you want it you pay the difference. If not, ship it back. Awesome guy to work with and he knows his stuff. I did see on his website that the Powertech props are backed up 3-6 weeks right now though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by billbuster84; 12-04-2021 at 02:56 PM.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Sra3 either 12 or 13p. I suggest a 12p with a load

Call shandon at mighty white marine in Augusta arkansas. Tell him what you have and what you’d like to see. He probably has it in stock and can ship to your door. Cash money says he has setup/tuned hundreds of boats like the one you mentioned. And shandon is just a cool dude to talk to.

Lots of good info in here. Let us know what you go with.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

If you move from aluminum to stainless subtract an inch of pitch to "break-even". The aluminum props will flatten out some under throttle where stainless doesn't. Your rev limiter hasn't changed to the beefier motor should run at the same max RPM so to get a little more speed you'll need a little more prop. That being said, I'd switch to a stainless of the same pitch as a starting point and keep the beat-up aluminum prop in the boat as a spare in case you ever spin your hub.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Thanks for all the advice. I need to call the guy at white marine probably.
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

- Rhett Butler