Thread: WADING 4 REDS

Fish were in the flat again on 4/17. Plenty of fish tailin'...

Marv870 caught a nice one and missed another.

I missed one but I think I'm learning... I just needed to slow down my presentation. We were both fishin' GULPs... The sand gnats ate our asses off, I mean it was terrible. I had on bug spray too and I still probably got bitten over 100 times. How do yall keep em off you?

Can't wait for the tides to get right again

Nice Red Otis!!!
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Nice fishin'
    Hate i missed em.
    If spottails and chocolate mallards didn't exist, life wouldn't be worth livin'
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

The average redfish gets photographed more than all the Victoria's Secret models combined. I wonder if they use sun screen?

I just want to get one em with the fly!

dook, come down here on the next big tide.
    pm me.
    I'd love to meet you and smoke you on the fish in the same day, I got nothin on your bassin skills, but the saltwater cousin is another ballgame.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Any advice on the sand gnats? As weird as this my sound, I heard the skin-so-soft bug spray works well and i remember some guys using that to keep them off of them during evening parades when I was at El Cid. Deepwoods Off wasn't worth a damn for those critters

sos rocks!

tie a thermacell to your waders????

Waders?!

Shorts and an old pair of tennis shoes is more like it. The water feels great

Whether it works against gnats or not, keep using the Deep Woods Off. You can get a hell of a case of redbugs from wading in the Spartina grass. I didn't believe it when I was first told by a friend but since then, I've had my own experience with them. I rarely get redbugs in the woods but the ones in the marsh ate my ass up.

Of course you use Skin So Soft. Who don't know that?

Dookie, you're just goffy as all hell.

PB, are you sure those weren't sea lice that got you? Goooodness, those things'll make you apologize.

Check em out here

Daammmmiitttt boy,

Those sea lice look like something serious...

I never knew this wade fishing thing was so "dangerous."

Maybe I should just go with a full bug-tamer suit and headnet next time. With a base layer of skin-so-soft of course. LOL

Fish,

I think they were redbugs but I could be wrong. I got them on a particularly windy day when I fished in the lee of a large hummock island. I assumed the redbugs were blown from the island into the grass. I had bites all over, not just under my clothing. This spot is well away from big open water. I have also heard of people getting a bad case of them way up the Wando in the marsh.

Apparently, they share similarities in onset, symptoms, and duration. But it really doesn't matter which one bite you once the itching starts, does it? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

EPA Approves Safer Insect Repellent Based On Compound Developed At NC State

Media Contacts:
    Keith Nichols, News Services, 919/515-3470
    Lisa Currin, Office of Technology Transfer, 919/515-9335

April 13 , 2007

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Thanks to a compound identified at North Carolina State University and licensed by HOMS, LLC, a safer, natural alternative for surviving mosquito season is headed to store shelves just in time for warm weather.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that one-third of Americans use DEET – the active ingredient in popular insect repellents. While EPA has deemed DEET safe for adults, recent reassessments have resulted in new child safety labeling requirements on all products containing the chemical.

Now, the wait for a DEET-free, child-safe insect repellent is over. EPA has officially approved BioUD™ as a safe active ingredient in insect repellent for direct skin application with no child safety restrictions. HOMS, LLC, a North Carolina-based biotech company, will immediately begin distribution of the BioUD ™ formula in a product called Bite Blocker®.

Research shows BioUD™ outperforms DEET and the eucalyptus compound found in Off Botanicals in testing against mosquitoes at six hours post application. In fact, BioUD™ demonstrates 100 percent repellency against mosquitoes up to three hours after application and 99 percent repellent up to 4.5 hours in forest and marsh conditions.

Allen Jones, CEO of HOMS, and Dr. Michael Roe, William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor of Entomology at NC State, have been waiting for this day for some time. Four years ago, Roe saw potential to effectively repel a wide variety of insects using a naturally occurring compound found in wild tomato plants. His research suggested that a “green technology” could be developed with efficacy levels that would challenge DEET. HOMS licensed the compound from NC State for formulation with their soy emulsion technology for commercial applications and began the EPA approval process.

EPA’s extensive review of health and safety information culminated this month, with the official registration of BioUD™ as a pest-repellent formulation for direct skin application carrying no child restrictions.

BioUD™ has also proven effective against ticks. It has been tested against American Dog Ticks, carriers of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and Deer Ticks, carriers of Lyme disease.

Bite Blocker® is the company’s premier repellent product containing the BioUD™ ingredient. Pipeline products include an insect repellent formulated for textiles such as clothing, tents and camping gear, a lignocellulosic application for control of wood-infestation, and an organic certification for the treatment of food prep surfaces in restaurants and other pest control services.

I never got them, but would often have tag alongs that would get them and never want to go back. When I finally did get a case of 'em they made redbugs an attractive alternative. I just wear long pants when I wade and haven't had them since.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

The gators are pretty unattentive until the red starts splashing in the surface.
    Have ya'll ever had the dolphins come in the grass and run the spots out?

Never seen the dolphins in the grass but have seen some National Geographic worthy stuff they have performed on the mud flats and banks.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

white walt and marv. ask marv if he found any nemo fish out there?
    z71offshore