Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scams and Cons

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    I mean.

But to get just a touch personal because I think it needs to be said occasionally.

I was born to a 16 year old single mother. I never knew my father. I lived in over 20 different rental houses and trailers until I was 17. I underachieved in high school and barely graduated.

I was just smart enough not to get in to drugs and just ugly enough not to get a girl knocked up.

I joined the army at 17. I did 7 years and got out and went to a tech school for a year and transferred to Clemson with a 4.0 and graduated Clemson with a 3.6.

I married a smart girl with a shit ton of work ethic and ambitions. We have leveraged that into a good life for us and our two kids. I am beyond blessed and way luckier than I deserve.

The point? I don't feel like anyone is a product of their environment, but you have to want it.
    It's all about perspective and I like yours. Thanks for sharing and your service.

What about this "Home title theft/fraud" we hear so much about on the radio, is that really thing? I mean, it took me several hours and a hundred of so signatures to close on my house and now someone can just fill out a piece of paper, send it in and they own my house? Of course when I found out they would be dead but is it really something to worry about?

I mean.

But to get just a touch personal because I think it needs to be said occasionally.

I was born to a 16 year old single mother. I never knew my father. I lived in over 20 different rental houses and trailers until I was 17. I underachieved in high school and barely graduated.

I was just smart enough not to get in to drugs and just ugly enough not to get a girl knocked up.

I joined the army at 17. I did 7 years and got out and went to a tech school for a year and transferred to Clemson with a 4.0 and graduated Clemson with a 3.6.

I married a smart girl with a shit ton of work ethic and ambitions. We have leveraged that into a good life for us and our two kids. I am beyond blessed and way luckier than I deserve.

The point? I don't feel like anyone is a product of their environment, but you have to want it.
    *Mic-drop
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I mean.

I feel it. Thank God, I have had the same step-father for 50+ years now. My mother was living with my great-grandmother before I was one. Father was absent. If not for my step-father willingness to take a chance on marrying a woman with a then three-year-old son, I cannot imagine what my path would have looked like.

Interestingly, my mother's pastor refused to marry her in the sanctuary because she had been divorced, so they were married in the local Lutheran church (my step-father's faith) and I have been a member there for 50+ years. Interesting how people will disappoint you but God never will. Thanks for sharing Moe. MG
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 12-03-2021 at 03:25 PM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

I mean.

Solid post!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    What about this "Home title theft/fraud" we hear so much about on the radio, is that really thing? I mean, it took me several hours and a hundred of so signatures to close on my house and now someone can just fill out a piece of paper, send it in and they own my house? Of course when I found out they would be dead but is it really something to worry about?
    I think it's a hoax. If it was such a big risk, the mortgage company would require you to have insurance for it. After all, the thieves would be stealing their collateral. You may have some hassles getting it straightened out but it's really a problem for whoever offered a mortgage on the fake deed without doing a good title search.

It is a bit concerning that some of the spokespeople in the commercials are otherwise respectable people.