Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Build An AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I want a short .300 to run subsonic suppressed on some pigs. I still have that lower.
    Do you want to be a pistol or a rifle? Do you want to pay another $200 tax stamp? Give me a call in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    the Aero Atlas rails are the best rails Ive ever used.......
    Fact. I liked the one on my AR-10 so much I sold my PSA AR-15 upper and replaced it with an Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

So I've never built a "black gun". My logic is its like crack. I don't try it because I'm scared I'll like it.

That being said, I know the sky is literally the limit on the things, but for the sake of conversation, what's the rock bottom cheapest I could walk away with a functional black gun?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    So I've never built a "black gun". My logic is its like crack. I don't try it because I'm scared I'll like it.

That being said, I know the sky is literally the limit on the things, but for the sake of conversation, what's the rock bottom cheapest I could walk away with a functional black gun?

You could build a nice base gun for around 500 bucks. And yes it’s very addicting
    Last edited by Biggie1976; 12-03-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Miles, give me a call when you're ready to join the addiction.

I have an AR10 that's basically a safe queen. It's a really nice build on a DPMS lower with a carbon wrapped barrel, geiselle trigger and several other enhancements but it's so damn heavy it rarely gets taken out of the safe. How light weight can a .308 AR be built? I assume it would need a different lower and upper. What parts would be transferrable from the one I have?

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post

Like Biggie said, functional. You can do it for relatively cheap. I usually shoot for long term reliable, that raises the price tag a little. But I like what I like. Barrel and BCG components are the heart of the rifle but should be looked at as consumables... you aint gonna wear out a lower, upper receiver, or handguard unless you just break them. Get what you want with them and tuck back a few barrels and BCG's along an along. Good barrel life is around 20K rounds and BCG stuff (extractor, lugs, etc.) should go from 3-5K rounds. And its bout like driving a car. It'll last a lot longer if you dont push the gas pedal to the floor at every redlight.

What’s the best length but keeping it short for a suppressor in 300 blackout and 556

i believe 9" is the magic number for 300blk out. A lot of folks do the mk18 style 10.3" barrel for 556. I tried it on a buddies one time, its not a real pleasurable experience, lot of gas coming back to the face after more than 4-5 rounds. All the literature says magical things happen in terms of bullet velocity and the gun not running as hard when you go from that 10.3-10.5" range to 11.5-12" barrel. I do a 11.8", havent gotten my own can yet but have tried that same buddies can on it several times. I'm was pleased enough I'm going to see steelin in the next week or so.
    Last edited by BuckyTownsend; 12-03-2021 at 09:52 AM.

I think 10-11 is the perfect length for 300blkout. I personally like the 12-14 for 556

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Miles, give me a call when you're ready to join the addiction.
    You'll be my first call when I take the plunge.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I have an AR10 that's basically a safe queen. It's a really nice build on a DPMS lower with a carbon wrapped barrel, geiselle trigger and several other enhancements but it's so damn heavy it rarely gets taken out of the safe. How light weight can a .308 AR be built? I assume it would need a different lower and upper. What parts would be transferrable from the one I have?
    Here is one I recently put together for a customer. He wanted to get away from his heavy DPMS. He wanted a light weight 308 for "stalking and walking" on pigs.
    16" barrel. That pic is of it sitting on the scale. With no magazine.
    634E327F-CC7E-4007-8766-7A1C27E384EE.jpg
    A3758FA7-1F45-46A0-BDAB-E463A4C34128.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    i believe 9" is the magic number for 300blk out. A lot of folks do the mk18 style 10.3" barrel for 556. I tried it on a buddies one time, its not a real pleasurable experience, lot of gas coming back to the face after more than 4-5 rounds. All the literature says magical things happen in terms of bullet velocity and the gun not running as hard when you go from that 10.3-10.5" range to 11.5-12" barrel. I do a 11.8", havent gotten my own can yet but have tried that same buddies can on it several times. I'm was pleased enough I'm going to see steelin in the next week or so.
    Overgassed guns aren’t fun to shoot. A lot of gun manufacturers use barrels with large gas ports to ensure the gun cycles in adverse conditions and with all types of ammo. When you put a suppressor on a gun like that, the backpressure it adds sends annoying amounts of gas back into the chamber and into the shooters face. Most people don’t need that level of reliability, so buying a barrel with a smaller gas port will help cut a lot of that gas out and still maintain reliability. People do other things like change out buffer weights, use adjustable gas blocks, adjustable carriers, special charging handles. Those things have their places, but most people would be better off just buying a properly gassed barrel to begin with. One fix if you already have a gun, that makes a lot of sense and isn’t very costly, is a reduced port size gas tube.
    Last edited by wskinner; 12-03-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Here is one I recently put together for a customer. He wanted to get away from his heavy DPMS. He wanted a light weight 308 for "stalking and walking" on pigs.
    So to convert mine, it would mean new stripped upper, stripped lower and hand guard? Are all the other parts interchangeable?

634E327F-CC7E-4007-8766-7A1C27E384EE.jpg
    A3758FA7-1F45-46A0-BDAB-E463A4C34128.jpg
    That’s light

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    So to convert mine, it would mean new stripped upper, stripped lower and hand guard? Are all the other parts interchangeable?
    You need to sell yours and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    What’s the best length but keeping it short for a suppressor in 300 blackout and 556

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Overgassed guns aren’t fun to shoot. A lot of gun manufacturers use barrels with large gas ports to ensure the gun cycles in adverse conditions and with all types of ammo. When you put a suppressor on a gun like that, the backpressure it adds sends annoying amounts of gas back into the chamber and into the shooters face. Most people don’t need that level of reliability, so buying a barrel with a smaller gas port will help cut a lot of that gas out and still maintain reliability. People do other things like change out buffer weights, use adjustable gas blocks, adjustable carriers, special charging handles. Those things have their places, but most people would be better off just buying a properly gassed barrel to begin with. One fix if you already have a gun, that makes a lot of sense and isn’t very costly, is a reduced port size gas tube.
    I went the long stroke piston system route and have zero complaints. Especially during cleanings. The only comment I have is the recoil impulse is different. Like shooting beretta all your life then switching to a benelli. Not really harsher, just a different feel

Call me after while. My oldest chose a gun over a class ring so let’s build him one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

You need to sell yours and start over.
    I just weighed mine. With the scope and mount removed, no mag, no sling or swivels I come in at about 8.5 lbs. I have a hard time justifying changing it to lose a little over a pound.

The scope and mount add another 2.75 lbs. and then the Omega... All put together with a half loaded 10 rnd mag it's right at 13 lbs. I guess I just need to spend an extra couple hours at the gym.