Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bull Sluice or bullshit?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bull Sluice or bullshit?

Iconic SC river where ‘Deliverance’ was filmed in middle of controversy.

BY SAMMY FRETWELL
    DECEMBER 01, 2021

A section of SC’s Chattooga River called Bull Sluice rapids, near where Thomas Hill drowned. U.S. FOREST SERVICE U.S. FOREST SERVICE

When a power company built a dam on the Georgia-South Carolina border nearly a century ago, the work covered a four-mile stretch of the lower Chattooga River with so much water that the river’s rocky channel vanished. The dam, however, isn’t a major power source these days, and a conflict is brewing over whether to tear down the expansive structure that has blocked the lower part of an acclaimed southern river from flowing freely. Last week, seven organizations filed paperwork with the federal government that they hope will eventually persuade Georgia Power Co. to tear down the dam at Lake Tugalo northwest of Clemson in Oconee County.

They are trying to stop Georgia Power from conducting a major upgrade to the Tugalo dam, arguing that the structure should instead be considered for removal.

The effort by environmentalists could take years, but If successful, tearing down the 160-foot tall Tugalo dam would mark one of the largest dam removal projects in the Carolinas and Georgia, they say. Dozens of dams have been removed in the region in the past 30 years, but many have been on small streams and they are shorter than the one on the lower Chattooga. All told, about four miles of the lower Chattooga would be restored, as well as several miles of the nearby Tallulah River in Georgia, according to a Nov. 24 motion filed with the FERC in Washington.

Lake Tugalo, sometimes spelled Tugaloo, would no longer exist if the dam is eventually removed. While the Chattooga’s lower section is covered by lake water, miles of river above the dam remain intact and unspoiled. It is one of the few federally designated national wild and scenic rivers in the Carolinas and Georgia, and the only one of its kind in South Carolina. The Chattooga River’s rapids are considered some of the most challenging in the Southeast, attracting paddlers from across the country.

“Deliverance,’’ a movie based on the James Dickey novel, was filmed on the Chattooga in the 1970s. The movie was about friends who had a harrowing experience canoeing down a wild river before it was dammed. The Chattooga River extends about 60 miles through the mountains from North Carolina before flattening into Lake Tugalo. The river separates northeast Georgia from northwest South Carolina.

Environmentalists say the river restoration would create whitewater rafting areas on the lower Chattooga, restoring what’s believed to be a substantial gorge now covered under the water of Lake Tugalo. Tearing down the dam also would restore valuable river habitat for important plants, some known to grow only in Georgia and South Carolina, the Nov. 24 motion says.

Those include the endangered Persistent Trillium, a plant with a brilliant white flower that once was featured on a postage stamp. In addition, getting rid of the dam would allow forests to be restored, eliminate greenhouse gases that are generated from operating the dam and save ratepayers millions of dollars for the cost of making dam repairs, environmentalists say. Removing the dam -- completed in 1923 -- is plausible because, unlike many major lakes in the Carolinas and Georgia, virtually no one lives on Lake Tugalo, they say. “The Chattooga River is a treasure for the country — and this is impounding that last section of the river,’’ said Peter Raabe, southeastern basin director for American Rivers.

“Now, we have this opportunity to restore this gem of the Southeast.’’

This historical photograph shows construction of the dam at the lower end of the Chattooga River. The dam was built nearly 100 years ago, but today has been targeted for removal to restore the lower part of the federally designated wild and scenic river on the South Carolina-Georgia border. COURTESY CHATTOOGA CONSERVANCY

Environmental groups filing the motion include two of the nation’s most prominent river advocacy groups, American Whitewater and American Rivers, as well as Upstate Forever of South Carolina, the Georgia Canoeing Association, Naturaland Trust of Greenville and the Chattooga Conservancy, which operates in both states.

The Southern Environmental Law Center, a non-profit legal service headquartered in Virginia, is handling proceedings before the FERC. Nicole Hayler, director of the Chattooga Conservancy, and Southern Environmental Law Center attorney Frank Holleman said getting rid of the dam is worth considering.

“We think there’s a whole other set of rapids underneath the lake and conceivably world class rapids,’’ Hayler said, noting that studies are still ongoing. Sediment has buried much of the old river bottom through the years. Records show that Georgia Power plans to spend at least $24 million upgrading the dam at Lake Tugalo. The work would extend the life of the Tugalo powerhouse by four decades, according to the environmental groups’ FERC filing.

The environmentalists’ call to study removing the dam arose after Georgia Power filed a request with the FERC to amend its current operating license for the structure. A recent federal register notice says the company wants to replace and upgrade four generating units at the Tugalo powerhouse. Work proposed by Georgia Power at the dam includes upgrading four turbines; refurbishing generators; and replacing control room panels and spillway gates, the notice says.

Georgia Power did not directly respond to questions about the need for the Tugalo dam, except to say that it is part of a power generation mix. In an email late Tuesday, the company said it operates 19 hydroelectric dams and some of “these projects continue to deliver value for Georgia Power customers.’’ The company also said it may remove two dams in other parts of Georgia. The Riverview and Langdale dams are being decommissioned, the company said.

“Lake Tugalo dam is one of a network of hydro-electric facilities maintained and operated by Southern Company and Georgia Power as part of a diverse generation mix to serve millions of customers across the state,’’ the company said in the email. “As a regulated utility, Georgia Power works to regularly evaluate the state’s current and future energy needs and realign our generation resources to ensure safe, clean, reliable and affordable power, while also protecting and preserving our state’s natural resources.’’

Critics say work on the dam isn’t needed and the relatively small amount of power produced could be replaced with solar farms. They also note that Georgia Power is building two new nuclear plants that will provide large amounts of energy. The lower Chattooga River dam produced power for about 12,500 homes in 2020, or about 1 percent of all the company’s total power generation, according to American Rivers.

Environmentalists say upgrading the dam now will only strengthen the power company’s case when it formally seeks a new 40-year operating license in 2031. It would be harder for the federal government to turn down a new license if the company has spent tens of millions of dollars upgrading the dam, Holleman and Raabe said.

The Southern Environmental Law Center’s motion to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission asks the agency to require a detailed environmental study of the dam repair plan and to “fully consider decommissioning the dam’’ when the existing license expires in 2036. Fly fishing on the Chattooga River Dam removal efforts like the one at Lake Tugalo can take years to accomplish, but the initiative has picked up steam across the country as environmental and outdoor recreation groups push to tear down dams no longer considered necessary to generate power or for other purposes.

In many cases, the idea is to restore the natural flow of rivers for recreation and to improve wildlife habitat. American Rivers, which has 35,000 members nationally, says 69 dams were removed across the country in 2020. In the Carolinas and Georgia since 1990, about 60 dams have been removed, many of them on creeks and rivers smaller than the Chattooga, according to American Rivers’ database of dam removals.

Those include, for instance, a small dam on Congaree Creek near Columbia in 2019 and one at Burson Lake in Oconee County, SC in 2020, the environmental group’s data base shows. Holleman, the Southern Environmental Law Center attorney, said he hopes the lower Chattooga dam will make the list of removed dams. “The dam serves very little purpose now,’’ he said. “Removing it would be an incredible event for natural resources and recreation across the entire country.’’

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...#storylink=cpy

The environmentalists ought to be ensuring that power is always in good supply. Their prius' don't run on faith.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Logic? We can't have logic. The river must be unchained from the shackles of man because, feels...

Are there homes on the lake?
    If so, it will never happen!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Not very many.

Man, back in the day, we used to camp near , fish and kayak that river often. Great memories. You could count the number of people you would see on the water on one hand. No mas.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    not to my knowledge. I know there are no houses north of the boat landing.

It is a beautiful little lake and a great place to kayak. i think there is a 20hp limit up there. My youngest and I go up there a couple of times each summer to kick around. You can go up to the head water and watch the rafters come out of the rapids.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

But, but, but... so all the "greenies" want clean/renewable/carbon-free power. Let's see here - a hydro station appears to fit that bill but hey, let's go ahead and tear it down and replace it with nasty/environmentally-not-so-friendly solar panels and batteries (assuming folks want power 24/7). Yep, sign me up! (sarcasm detection required)

Dang right Jozie. We used to run the river with the guys from Perception as much as possible. Tons of fun .. drive over from Long Creek and get wet. Jaw Bone and Soc Em Dog will challenge you.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Speaking specifically on the Yadkin River system, (aka Great Pee Dee)...

I see the results of being downstream of dams built in the interest of "electricity" that dont really create any appreciable electricity but do create expensive lake front property.

Those cocksuckers have almost destroyed the Santee Delta rice fields and has killed close 50% of the big oaks due to being underwater for the last 6-7 years because they dont want their docks under water or their homes flooded.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I dont hate the idea of tearing it down but dont really care either way. I have always wondered what that area was like before everything was dammed up.

id rather see a lake than a solar farm. I'd also like to see the chatooga flowing free. FInancially, i think an honest assesment of how much money the lake brings in vs the projected newly exposed river to the local economies should be weighed heavily. the amount of visitors to the lake are probably a small fraction compared to the amount of visitors to the river.

I'd like the dam to go away, but i want the right decision to be made based on the numbers not my feelings

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    id rather see a lake than a solar farm. I'd also like to see the chatooga flowing free. FInancially, i think an honest assesment of how much money the lake brings in vs the projected newly exposed river to the local economies should be weighed heavily. the amount of visitors to the lake are probably a small fraction compared to the amount of visitors to the river.

I'd like the dam to go away, but i want the right decision to be made based on the numbers not my feelings
    The probelm with the river visitor is all the white trash has done what white trash does and left their diapers, worm cans, and mtn dew bottles all over the place. It is sad visiting the chatooga these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    The probelm with the river visitor is all the white trash has done what white trash does and left their diapers, worm cans, and mtn dew bottles all over the place. It is sad visiting the chatooga these days.
    Yeah, i get ya. But those people still spend money in the local economies. Just like any place though, if you get far enough away from an access point, it can be beautiful. Section IV is a gem. The around Highway 28 and BUrrels ford, it is a dump

I guess that river will go to Aintry again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I guess that river will go to Aintry again.
    Dammit. It was right there...

A Tugalo camp trip has been on my radar for awhile. Love the Chatooga. Dont get up there near as much as I'd like to.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

It's been like twenty five years.. but I wore out some fish on a stretch of that river that looks like that picture, with an ultralight and beetlespins. There was a group of us camping, mostly girls.. that night I went hiking back up to my truck to grab more bud heavys, with a knife in hand, the back of my head was pondering the rape potential. I'll be damned if two guys didn't jump out. A Federal Marshall and a GA game warden, after the situation was calmed down, and they wrote multiple underage beer tickets.. they were pretty cool, we talked a good bit.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 12-02-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Used to be THE place to catch Brook trout in GA. Now, it's just SNIT city. I love the place, but after reading what Jay wrote, I may just pass and live on memories.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Used to be THE place to catch Brook trout in GA. Now, it's just SNIT city. I love the place, but after reading what Jay wrote, I may just pass and live on memories.
    what areas would you catch the brook trout? Ive always wondered how far downstream the natives were caught

It was peaceful when we went. A group of us were meeting up a year after highschool. I had just graduated boot camp, and got the call to go camping.. inside I was like yippie. We first pulled up at Oconee state park, maybe a dozen girls and five or six guys. It looked like a late night USA or Sci fi Channel movie at the start. I could see families near us setting up, I know inside they were think "please don't". Then a friend of mine there started brain storming of other places, and we ended up in Georgia a couple hours later on a dirt road that felt like ten miles long. It was pretty country.