Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Couldn’t let him walk

Default Couldn’t let him walk

Been after this one all season. From bachelor group, chasing, disappearing for few weeks then showing back up.

Believe I had a picture of him last year. Will have to look on the laptop to verify it.

Typical hunt story, he came out. I shot, then it all was gut winching after that. I got down after 20 minutes to look for a blood trail.. nada.. maybe he opened up when he hit the woods, walked in and didn’t see nothing, searched about 50 yards without a drop of blood. I pulled out, got on Facepage, looked up a deer tracker in the area. He came out with his pup and within 45 to an hour.. the dog was on the dead buck.

This shot placement seemed good to me… but I’m curious if I was too high? Need to be further back?
    Last edited by 308; 12-01-2021 at 07:01 PM.

No pic

Good looking buck. Congrats on the kill and recovery.

Is that a mixed bred dachshund or something?

Default Couldn’t let him walk

Sorry.. I couldn’t get it to upload using Safari.

The pup is a wired hair dachshund, I believe. The guy name is Nathan that lives in Florence. I wouldn’t have recovered this deer without his help. Maybe stumbled on it on a grid search but unlikely
    Last edited by 308; 12-01-2021 at 07:04 PM.

Placement looks okay to me. How far did he go? What bullets are your shooting?
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Placement looks okay to me. How far did he go? What bullets are your shooting?
    Ditto here. Looks good, depending on the bullet.

Congrats!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

The dog is probably a "Teckel", which is a closely bred and tested version of wirehaired dachshund.

That looks like a perfect shot. It's amazing how tough some deer are.

That’s where I shoot them. Looking at the pictures that deer bled and you just overlooked it, happens when you are excited. Good killin.

Nice deer. They ain't no blood trail in the hole. 22-mag but last year it was .17. DRT. Some people just don't have a clue to shot placement.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    That’s where I shoot them. Looking at the pictures that deer bled and you just overlooked it, happens when you are excited. Good killin.
    I wish you were correct, but the deer had no trail. The pup is trained to alert on blood, but never did.

Horror story of a 6.5 CM 123 grain Winchester deer season xp… I guess.. the deer travel 500meters. I’m assuming it bled internally. There was one place of blood 2-3 feet where the deer expired.

I shoot 123 gr SST's and don't always get an exit and occasionally no blood trail even on chest shots.

I think the dogs can smell the blood scent on their breath when there's no external blood. Mine can sort out which trail to follow after you shoot amongst them and deer scatter everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I shoot 123 gr SST's and don't always get an exit and occasionally no blood trail even on chest shots.

I think the dogs can smell the blood scent on their breath when there's no external blood. Mine can sort out which trail to follow after you shoot amongst them and deer scatter everywhere.
    If I’m not mistaken there is what’s called an interdigital gland between the hoof that only releases when a deer it mortally wounded. That’s how the dog differentiate between a wounded and non wounded animal
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

If he was broadside, that was good placement. Nothing wrong with it. Hard bullets like triple shocks or Partitions often have small exits with very little blood. That is why many folks like Ballistic Tips or Sierra’s for their tendency for large exits. Still though, that deer shouldn’t have gone very far. Normal run distance is about 30-80 yards. Sometimes they don’t bleed much at all for the first 20-30 yards.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    If I’m not mistaken there is what’s called an interdigital gland between the hoof that only releases when a deer it mortally wounded. That’s how the dog differentiate between a wounded and non wounded animal
    Makes sense.. the handler asked if I minded for him to take the hooves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive had similar dealings with the 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 140 grain Fusions. Sons buddy shot a buck with it and it ran 50 yds with no blood until the last 10 yds, used a dog to find that one. The shot was quartering away and went out the opposite side shoulder and I think bone matter blocked up the exit wound. Shot a doe the next week with it and it looked like someone took a 5 gallon bucket every 10 ft and dumped it for 30 yds.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Just reread the post…..sorry for the oversight. Did the bullet travel diagonally through the deer? If so it might have been back a tad but realistically it shouldn’t matter that much. Did it exit? If it ran 500 yards I am shocked. Something is amiss. I like high velocity and quick opening (but not fragile) bullets. Normally if you put one in the boiler room he won’t go over about 120 yards and that is on the high side. I would be interested in the details.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    I wish you were correct, but the deer had no trail. The pup is trained to alert on blood, but never did.

Horror story of a 6.5 CM 123 grain Winchester deer season xp… I guess.. the deer travel 500meters. I’m assuming it bled internally. There was one place of blood 2-3 feet where the deer expired.
    Are you showing Us the entrance or an exit?

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Just reread the post…..sorry for the oversight. Did the bullet travel diagonally through the deer? If so it might have been back a tad but realistically it shouldn’t matter that much. Did it exit? If it ran 500 yards I am shocked. Something is amiss. I like high velocity and quick opening (but not fragile) bullets. Normally if you put one in the boiler room he won’t go over about 120 yards and that is on the high side. I would be interested in the details.
    It was a broadside shot. The angle was 6ft off the ground in box stand. I didn’t see an exit wound. It was mind blowing how far he went. I mean if it traveled diagonally it would of been an inch or two on the other side shoulder. I had a box of fusions I am going to shoot and give a chance. I just can’t grasp the reasoning of him running far. Unless he didn’t expire before walking in and pushed him further in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Are you showing Us the entrance or an exit?
    Entrance, I’m assuming because that’s the only one I’ve found. I searched the other side to see if that was the exit.

When we was found, there were air bubbles coming out of the wound but stopped within a few seconds.

My 6.5 wouldn't leave blood or drop deer until I landed on cheap ole corelocts. Good shots on them all.