Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable sawmill help

Default Portable sawmill help

I have about 15 big oak trees that we cut to build cabins on our hunting place. It is near New Zion. Anyone know anyone with a portable sawmill that could come mill it so I could use said lumber in said cabin?

Thanks
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Paul Bostick in Camden. Not sure how much he charges or how far he travels. Can PM you his number if interested.

I sent you a number for a guy that I have used in the past.

There’s a guy in Manning. I cannot think of his name, he stopped by a logging job one day. Let me see if I can find a card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

If you get someone, I've got a great big cedar that came off my riverbank I want cut and will be happy to work out payment or trades. I can deliver. Drive right through there every week.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Find someone that can do a 42-48" diameter live oak trunk that is 12-14' long and send them my way. We took one down, saved the trunk and I see big money in live edge tables on that thing.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'd love to have one of those.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Sounds like one of us needs to buy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Find someone that can do a 42-48" diameter live oak trunk that is 12-14' long and send them my way. We took one down, saved the trunk and I see big money in live edge tables on that thing.
    Lemme see what I can do
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Pain in the ass

I have cut a ton of oak on my good friends saw mill. I learned that if I didn’t send it to the kiln to be dried, it would either cup or split real bad and almost unusable for projects.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoTrooper View Post
    I have cut a ton of oak on my good friends saw mill. I learned that if I didn’t send it to the kiln to be dried, it would either cup or split real bad and almost unusable for projects.
    I really appreciate that tip. Thank you

X10

Painting the ends will help with splitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There a guy with a mill in Lena (Estill) that has a kiln and everything…not sure if you ever make it down there. I know that’s a long way from Kingstree
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Truth. There are several hardwood mills around where I hunt OOS. They all run sprinklers on the logs 24/7 to prevent them from drying.
    Last edited by SaltMuck; 12-01-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I actually thought about buying a portable sawmill for a retirement income. Work it some doing spring and summer - hire it out during the hunting seasons.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Howard Bouknight out of Chaplin has cut for me a good bit. Honestly it’s become an addiction to me. I’ve done everything with it, built shelves in my attic out of it and framed my kitchen/bathroom in my shop. Granted this was all pine that I cut. I’m going to put a tin border and the bottom band of my shop and line the rest of walls with rough cut. He did raise his price to .22 cent a board ft which still isn’t bad to me
    image.jpgt.image.jpg

Building a barn door next out of it to close off that area

Quote Originally Posted by Carlisle View Post
    Painting the ends will help with splitting.

They were painted within a week of cutting