Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When a wigeon answers the call...

Default When a wigeon answers the call...

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Man I need you to teach me how to hunt. Awesome and as always great picture.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Beautiful.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Great photo RH

There must be a story.

Great picture as always...

Sigh…….

Great picture! I wish I had your resolve.

Nice!
    867-5309

Great content as always.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I was a duck, I would hope that I would be shot by RH.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Love it, I still have a walnut call for you on the work bench if you get time to come by.
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Man I need you to teach me how to hunt. Awesome and as always great picture.
    Haha - making one duck look good since 1976...I was actually hoping for a shot at some tree ducks so I passed on teal and woodies but couldn't resist a cooperative wigeon.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    There must be a story.

Great picture as always...
    Thanks. Yep, I was a little afraid if I told it it would change the memory...or worse, solidify it. It was just a really, really tall single wigeon silhouetted against an opening-day sky. He was already past me so I hit him with a loud mallard hen call. He quivered and locked so I ducked my face then heard the wing shuffle over my left shoulder. I wish I had watched - I love seeing wigeon turn upside down. He didn't do but a half circle before he was flapping dead between the gadwall since, of course, I don't run wigeon decoys. It fits my single day duck hunt litmus test - one well-hunted duck...check.

Quote Originally Posted by joeydpga View Post
    Love it, I still have a walnut call for you on the work bench if you get time to come by.
    Thanks - I really, really want to replace that acrylic call with something more organic.

If you heard three shots evenly spaced a minute or two before you killed him, it was me not cutting a feather. I would have been more upset if we hadn't just scrapped a few out of a bigger flock 15 minutes prior. Great shot as always.

Default When a wigeon answers the call...

There’s something special to be said about how easy wigeon give up when you whistle that sweet nothing in their ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TXFowler; 11-29-2021 at 07:45 PM.

What a picture.

Nice job.

Did you touch up photo. If not send another photo of just the gun. Wood looks almost cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by PINEWOOD DUCK View Post
    Did you touch up photo. If not send another photo of just the gun. Wood looks almost cherry.
    Yes, I always do some post-processing. I have a "process" that I use when taking photos that includes the set-up, the actually photography and post-processing. The combination, very purposefully, I hope anyway, gives my photos a somewhat unique or identifiable presentation. I love to share the photos that turn out well but I really do it for myself. I haven't gotten a duck mounted in 25 years and cut the antlers off of all my deer so photography is the only take away "trophy" I have. To be honest, I didn't expect to ever post this photo but had I noticed the wood I would have dialed-down the reds a little bit.

The wood on the gun is really nice, though, and it wasn't a total accident. I got the gun from Santee Sport Shop in 1987. It cost me $725 for the lowest grade "hunter" model. The owner had about 30 Citiori guns new in their boxes and I asked if I could open a box or two before picking one. The new guns are covered with rust preventative and some sort of cellophane wrap. When I opened that gun and peeled a little bit of the plastic back right at the receiver and found that beautiful wood, I grabbed it and walked straight to the check-out line. I really can't believe that wood blank didn't get put on a higher grade gun since most of the Grade I Citori guns have a very straight grain walnut.

Here's a better look at the gun...

You haven’t lost your touch!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Very nice, do enlarge and frame your memory photos? I always enjoy photographing wildlife, almost as much as shooting. Your photography skills are on point. Thank you for sharing.

Sounds like you need someone to hunt with that would help keep those other ducks out of your spread lol
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965