Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    It’s a seed pod from some Costa Rican tree.

Probably carried to SC by an African Swallow.
    Nonsense. They’re non migratory.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

What did it taste like?

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.Ducks View Post
    Nonsense. They’re non migratory.
    English Swallow obviously.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

If the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow is 20.1 miles per hour or 9 meters per second, how long would it take for the swallow to carry such a pugnacious seed pod from Costa Rica?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Those seeds are mogwai and the next rain you are screwed. Go find them all and remove them asap.
    Low country redneck who moved north

It doesn't seem to have a husk so a swallow obviously couldn't have carried it that far...at least not from Costa Rica
    At least I'm housebroken.

“Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

so, nothing but monty python jokes?
    i was actually wondering wtf this thing is...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Finally figured it out. I sent pictures to everybody I knew that might know, emailed tons of experts, including Rudy Mancke, who never emailed be back. My wife, who knew I was irritated, actually called him and left a message. He called her back and said he was interested and would look into it. He never did.

So, we're in Asheville for our anniversary. We go out to eat, have a few drinks. She drags me into this chocolate place. She got something, I get a coffee. As we're walking out she says, "hey, that's that thing you find in the swamp."

Damn if it isn't. Cacao seed from a Cacao tree. What they make chocolate from. How the hell it got in the middle of Providence Swamp I'll never know. Just glad I got an answer.

20220107_211209.jpg

Interesting. You should go see if you can find anymore and track down the tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Cool find.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

1. Good to know what it is.
    2. Good to know Rudy manke is a dirt bag.

dern, I should have seen this earlier so I could have said "kumquat", it's probably my favorite fruit to enounce

^^^ sort of like me with provolone cheese. It's not actually my favorite cheese but I like saying it when ordering a sub sandwich.
    Makes me feel smarter than I am.

Enounce? Now that's a good one. Can't wait to use it in a sentence.

Thanks
    Last edited by scatter shot; 01-12-2022 at 09:44 AM.

Rudy is old. Now you have to find that tree...

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    dern, I should have seen this earlier so I could have said "kumquat", it's probably my favorite fruit to enounce
    My mom has a kumquat tree, they're small citrus fruits about the size of a pecan. I actually did think/assume they were some big tree nuts like pictured in this thread until I saw them.

Good luck finding a tree.

Cocoa beans don’t grow in the United States, do they? After all, one normally associates them more with the tropics than the snow-choked plains of the US. In fact, this holds true for our country, too. Cocoa beans do indeed grow in the USA, but only in very limited areas. There is a narrow band known as the Cocoa Bet or the Chocolate Belt. That sounds more enticing that the Rust Belt or the Snow Belt! The Cocoa Belt essentially follows the tropics, extending twenty degrees north and south of the equator. Much like their parent trees, cocoa beans need constant warm temperatures in order to thrive - usually between 65 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit - along with high humidity and ample rainfall (40-100 inches annually). Cold, drought, and excessive wind are all detrimental to cocoa. So with this in mind, if you look at a map of the US you’ll see that nearly the entire country lies more than 30 degrees north of the equator, making cocoa’s survival on the mainland difficult to impossible.

There are exceptions, of course. Southern Florida and Hawaii come to mind. Hawaii sits just south of 20 degrees north latitude, neatly within the Cocoa Belt. In fact, there is a burgeoning chocolate industry happening in Hawaii today.

South Florida, unlike Hawaii, doesn’t have any commercial cocoa plantations. Because there are occasional cold spells that could kill the trees, farmers don’t take the risk of planting cocoa. The colder weather, combined with the tropical storms and hurricanes that frequently settle over the state, mean that commercial cocoa enterprises aren’t yet viable.

There goes my chocolate shop idea, "Swampy Sweets"

Quote Originally Posted by ProvidenceSC View Post
    There goes my chocolate shop idea, "Swampy Sweets"
    You misspelled cocaine
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

You should make some homemade tootsie rolls or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!