Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doves

Default Doves

10-15 days before the season my two fields were loaded,however, as the season opener grew closer the birds dwindled. I attributed this to it being so dry and everyone being able to cut corn. Most corn has sprouted now and still not holding birds like normal. We had four decent hunts but nothing like normal. What y’all think?
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

I think it’s just part of owning/planting a dove field.
    I’ve had great shoots on shabby looking fields and poor shoots on great looking fields.

Sometimes there isn’t a rhyme or reason
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

4 first season hunts on a field is pretty solid these days.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

The corn fields by my house have more doves than I have ever seen. They looked like black birds flying in and out Saturday.

Sub par for me this year too.

Great first couple hunts, but now it seems like the birds are thinning out. Hard to tell these days.....covid probably.....
    "run and gun guide service"

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Sub par for me this year too.
    Definitely...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Hell it’s wet on one field, could not even cut until this week (somehow)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Our field has slow this year. Not many doves in our area. I have never seen it like this.

My 2 fields have been very sporadic. We have had a few good hunts on each and a few disappointing hunts. I’m seeing more doves right now than I have seen since the opener.

We have been very lucky this year! That’s all I’m going to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Our fields have been really good this year.

I am pretty sure people will come up with excuses and reasons they think their field is not holding birds like normal. Even when those excuses cant be proven or challenged. Those are the best excuses.

The following year, they will have birds and their excuses from the previous year dont hold water when the same thing occurs every year. Odd, huh?

Every winter, it floods. Its like people have never lived thru a winter before. When that happens, "the wood ducks go into the swamp to eat acorns."

And the wheels on the bus go round and round....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    agreed
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Been real good for us thankfully. Need to do some volunteer corn cutting though.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post

one of my fields we’ve already shot 5 times. @60 limits total. 45 minute limits or less each hunt for me. #6 this weekend. it had 750-1000birds before there season started. 7acres of sunflowers

the other one we’ve only shot 2 times. lots of food, i expect a great later season. maybe hunt this weekend if DB68 can come through for us!
    Windows Down!

4 good hunts?? I don’t see the problem.

We shot opening day. It was meh. We are scheduled to have our second shoot this afternoon. My father emailed and said there are "very few birds." Doesn't help when the deer wipe out your sunflowers. But good luck next year trying to jump my 8 foot fence, deer.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am pretty sure people will come up with excuses and reasons they think their field is not holding birds like normal. Even when those excuses cant be proven or challenged. Those are the best excuses.

The following year, they will have birds and their excuses from the previous year dont hold water when the same thing occurs every year. Odd, huh?

Every winter, it floods. Its like people have never lived thru a winter before. When that happens, "the wood ducks go into the swamp to eat acorns."

And the wheels on the bus go round and round....
    Man, I love sitting in a deer stand watching the lines of Wood Ducks marching into an Oak flat to feed... That is a fine sight indeed.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Like Raybird said,weve only shot twice...2 good hunts and still had about 80-100 birds on the Thursday after the last hunt . By that Saturday,we were down to 25-30 birds and hasn't picked up since .That cool snap plus people planting there food plots probably moved em on elsewhere .
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.